BOTM 5/14: Woodford Reserve

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The last bottle I bought was a year or two ago, and it was thin and metallic. I tried vatting it, which didn't work either. I kind of gave up on it, but I should probably give it another chance.

But to Joe's point, I agree that WR is popular. Rightly or wrongly, they've built a successful and popular brand.

As for me I've tried a couple bottles and the taste meter registers from meh to bad. Just not my thing even if it was under $20.

I've tried WR a number of times. I even got a bottle as a Christmas gift one year. I think it's ok. Like several others, I much prefer Old Forester 100. Even if they were the same price, I prefer the OF. My impression has been that Woodford is variable. Some bottles seem better than others. I've tasted the "copper penny" taste. Others were just more like OF in a fancier bottle. Given my rather ambiguous opinion of WR, I've never seriously considered any of the limited edition bottles; Masters Collection or whatever.

Edited by PaulO

It's not that the bourbon tasted like urine, it's really more of a note like a stick of juicy fruit gum that has been soaked in a glass of urine.

OK, you're obviously changing too many of your little ones' diapers! :lol: You go and tell MrsAaron she's going to have to take over, as it's ruining your whiskey time. :D

I'll admit, I drink WR infrequently. Primarily, my intake of it is on Delta flights, as it is their bourbon on the plane. I enjoy it well enough, and would not turn it down if offered. The thing that I do very much admire about the brand is it's distinctive "house style". Undoubtedly, the pot still influence makes it singularly different than any other bourbon on the market, to my tastes. Frankly, it's one of just a couple of bourbons that I think I could routinely guess in a totally blind tasting. But, I have the palate of a Mack Truck, so...MMMV...:D To me, it's always been cantaloupe rind, rather that copper penny...but same notes regardless. It's this distinctiveness that I most appreciate, and hope they don't move away from.

Funny, thinking about Aaron's urine quote...I remember folks getting "fresh diaper/Pampers" (or something like that) on the nose when describing the '09 (?) Old Forester Birthday Bourbon some years ago...Maybe, it's not the Versailles influence after all! :lol:

BTW, I recently posted about getting much the same nosing notes on Green Spot Irish, as I do on Woodford...I thought they were very similar.

I think WR is a really decent pour but the price is steep for what it is. Sometimes I'll pick up a 375ml bottle for 14.99 on sale. I wish more bourbons were available in half-size bottles. Sometimes you want to try something new but not pay for a 750ml bottle. So I give BF credit for making this size available.

I used to think WR got an undeservedly bad rep on this board. Then I tasted it blind after not having had it for quite awhile. It really hit me badly in the blind tasting session, with a nose of juicy fruit and urine, a thinly sweet palate and a finish with notes of formaldehyde.

I'm on the fence with it. I like it a lot sometimes and other times I wonder why I ever thought it was good. I don't buy it often because I think its too pricey for a bourbon I can't convince myself is good/I like enough.

I'm on the fence with it. I like it a lot sometimes and other times I wonder why I ever thought it was good. I don't buy it often because I think its too pricey for a bourbon I can't convince myself is good/I like enough.

This sums up my feelings perfectly.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Hmm. I'm traveling at the moment, but have some plans to do some Woodford Testing back at home before the next BOTM comes out.

I too am suspicious and interested about changes in the taste of WR over time. I found a bottle from a year ago recently, but haven't picked it up yet. This is a good excuse to try a back to back comparison.

tbt

I remember hating whiskey for many years because I had never tried anything outside of Jack and Beam White. Woodford (and Maker's) was the bourbon that allowed me to taste something drinkable, so I appreciate it as a gateway bourbon. It provided the difference between Jim Beam White and "good" whiskey. After jump-starting my bourbon interests last year and tasting 25 other bourbons, Woodford and Maker's taste young, thin, and boring. It's a simple as that. These popular bourbons don't suck per se, there just happens to be better tasting product out there at better prices. Where I live Woodford is $35, I can think of ten bottles I would rather have instead. The great thing about bourbon is the $25-$30 price range, what I call the sweet spot for my wallet and palate.

If anything, Woodford exists as a popular gateway bourbon. If it wasn't for the Woodford's of the world many of us would not be here. It's a bourbon you've heard of that you go on to compare other bourbons too. Once you start branching out, your gateway bourbon becomes less interesting. That's how it goes with many things.

It's not bad, just over priced. I have a dusty bottle of VG that tastes similar to me but given that it was less than half the price of WR it's much more enjoyable! I did pick up a bottle of WRDO when it first came out and enjoyed it, but not enough to purchase a replacement.

I find Woodford Reserve to be pretty decent, if maybe a bit boring. The Double Oak expression, on the other hand, I like a lot. That finishing gives it the extra character that's been missing. Lots of caramel on the nose and palate. I don't know if I'd pay $50 for it regularly, but I do enjoy it.
I like woodford mainly because it's a decent drink that's different than all the others. and the double oak is better, lots more wood in the woodford. if they priced it about 30% lower I'd drink more.

The local Total Wine sells WR for $21.99. I think it is a pretty good value at that price. I don't think it is worth it in the $35 range like it is at most places.

The local Total Wine sells WR for $21.99. I think it is a pretty good value at that price. I don't think it is worth it in the $35 range like it is at most places.

At that price, I would stock it for guests who are impressed by the name/image. In OH, it is $34--rather steep for bourbon that I can't drink with enthusiasm. Unless, of course, I happen to be the guest of someone who is "impressed by the name/image."

Well, my wife bought a bottle of WR for me today. Gonna give it another whirl and see what happens. I'm not sure if I'm gonna open my older bottle and do a side by side or not. We'll see. :skep:

I just can't get in to this bourbon. I have never cared for it every time I have tried it. On the other hand, my wife seems to like it fairly well.

I recently had a tasting that it was a part of and it finished dead last out of 5 bourbons. I picked JBW ahead of it.

It's been a couple years since I had Woodford last. I do remember it being a decent pour yet, like many others, I cannot justify the added cost compared to many other good bourbons. That Price to Pleasure Ratio again,

I can't really hate on Woodford, but I've seen it at some pretty egregious prices at times. When it goes on special, and I'm out, I usually buy a bottle. I think it's recognized enough that people tend to ask for it. I think it's pretty accessible to a lot of people, especially those who wouldn't be caught dead adding water to a higher proof whiskey (after all, drinking whiskey should be about being a MAN and "TAKING IT", right?!). 90 proof is about as high as you want to go for these people ("Old Grand Dad 100? Wild Turkey 101? Those must be for drunks!").

About the flavor? I think it's got the most depth and caramel of just about any mass-market bourbon out there. I don't like the acidity and heat that comes with it, though. I can see why it's popular. It's a great gateway bourbon, and I also think it stands up pretty darn well in a mixed drink. And the bottle is really pretty.

Well, my wife bought a bottle of WR for me today. Gonna give it another whirl and see what happens. I'm not sure if I'm gonna open my older bottle and do a side by side or not. We'll see. :skep:
C'mon Joe, you know you want to! ;)

C'mon Joe, you know you want to! ;)

I'm gonna pass Pete. I think I'll be keeping my older bottle of WR in reserve for a while. I've been having a pour here and there of my recently purchased WR. This is one bourbon that has me mystified. It's not awful, but I'm pretty sure I won't be buying another bottle. It just doesn't do anything for me at all. IMHO, I guess you could call it lackluster. I can see no reason to compare something uninspiring, to something I know is good. What can I say?

I'm yet to buy my bottle (slack I know), but I've always wondered, does it compare to Old Forester at all?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm yet to buy my bottle (slack I know), but I've always wondered, does it compare to Old Forester at all?

Yes this as well. I have not had a Woodford in years. I was a huge fan when I lived in Louisville around 2004-2006. I've shied away from it in recent years because of the price difference vs other bottles I enjoy.

I recently came across a stash of the Old Forester Repeal bourbon. I bought a bottle and deeply enjoyed it for the price. ($10 a 375ml) So I went back and bought several more. Its been so long, I don't really know how it compares to the Woodford I enjoyed back in the day.

How does the current Woodford compare?

I'm finally back in Houston and I'm going to do a comparison between the 2010 and 2012 derby releases on Saturday night.

tbt

An interesting and telling tidbit that I picked up in the Brown-Forman results that Joe posted in the "Industry News" area...B-F's COO reported that 2013 marked the 18th consecutive year of double digit sales growth for the Woodford Reserve brands...

That is a remarkable run for any business. Even more so when considering that the run plowed through the crash and Great Recession in 2008, and a reoccurring sentiment on these boards is that it is over priced.

It's gotta be the purty bottles Joe!

Seriously though, I think it works because it appeals to a market that feels that it's a clean, modern bourbon that doesn't have the stigma of an old "grandpa's rotgut" brand that's considered old and dated. It also doesn't hurt that it has a great name!

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.