Michter's US1 Unblended American Whiskey *Tasting Notes*

Paradox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Out of curiosity both before and after reading Omar’s post about a review done on this whiskey in the Times, I decided to grab a bottle to try for myself and here are my initial impressions.

Name: Michter’s US1 Unblended American Whiskey

Info: Michter’s Batch No. 3E2

Distillery: Bottled by Michter’s American Whiskey Co. Bardstown, KY

Cost: $28 plus tax from Winfield-Flynn in Manhattan, NYC.

Proof: 83.4, (41.7% Alcohol by Volume).

Bottle: Rather nice and unique looking bottle with a thick flared neck around the cork. See photo below.

Color: A very deep and almost intense red-amber color. I find it shocking it is as dark and robust as it is especially since it is aged in used bourbon barrels.

Body: Somewhat thin, not much clinging going on here as I swirl it around in my Riedel bourbon glass. Rather than nice ‘drips’ I simply get clinging ‘spots’.

Nose: The nose is one of the most beautiful things about this whiskey. Immediately upon uncorking the bottle the aromas jump out at you. First I detected butter, almost like buttered popcorn. Upon continued sniffing and a bit more swirls in the glass it really opened up and gave way to almonds, almost those candies sweet almonds with that sugary coating that you can get at street fairs and carnivals. Also noticed were hints of vanilla in the background. Definitely different than any bourbon I have ever tried.

Taste: Here’s where unfortunately my untrained palate came into play. I have a hard time putting into words what is going on here. I taste corn, almost in a whitedog sort of way but not with that alcohol burn in the mouth. This is one sweet smooth sipping whiskey. I really enjoyed letting this one sit in my mouth a bit longer than normal, slowly allowing it to roll back and forth from the tip of my tongue to the back of my mouth. I can still make out a rich almost buttery-vanilla taste with all the sweetness that was in the nose.

Finish: I found it to be rather smooth with little burn… Very little. Keep in mind, it is a relatively low proof whiskey compared to what I am used to but still, for the rich bouquet it has, you would think it is a much higher proof bourbon.

Overall: This is one truly unique product. You have to remember this is not a product of the now gone Michter’s in PA so don’t try and relate it to Hirsch or anything like that. I was skeptical at first as to how good something could really be that was made in reused bourbon barrels and bottled at a low proof. I personally usually enjoy higher proof bourbons. But for the price, wonderful nose and smooth sweet taste this whiskey has I would probably get another bottle sometime down the road and suggest to others if they have the chance to find a bottle for under $30 give it a try yourself. I think you’ll be just as surprised as I was. toast.gif

post-87-14489811320526_thumb.jpg

Great review Mark! Doubt I will ever see any around these parts, so I'll live vicariously through your post. I particularly like you reference to "clinging spots" lol.gif I'll have to add that to my vocabulary toast.gif

Yeah man! For what you claim is an untrained palate, I think you underestimate. I have a feeling I get exactly what you are trying to explain! Good review!

TomC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.