2014 Release Michter's 10 Year Rye?

whiskeyobsessive
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Exactly my thoughts. Of course we don't know for certain it's B-F, but I sort of hoped the colonel would slip and tell us.

A 10yo Rittenhouse style rye, whether it comes from B-F, HH or is contract distilled for Michter's would certainly be interesting but at more like $40 or maybe $50 a bottle, certainly not $100.

Or more like less than the price of 12 year old Elijah Craig.

Or more like less than the price of 12 year old Elijah Craig.

Given the smaller volume being made and lesser availability of aged rye and the current environment I could live with $40 for an age stated 10yo or so quality rye from a reliable and known producer. Probably isn't going to happen though. Hell, I would buy more of the CEHT rye if it were priced at $40 and it probably isn't even close to 10 years old.

Took a look at the price, $189.99... As much as I do like it, that's absurd.
Edited by BootsOnTheGround

As luck would have it, I dropped by a local bar for lunch and a drink. Originally I went in to have a pour a Vintage 21 year rye but then I saw a Michters 10 year 2014 release on the menu. Looking up at their shelf, I noticed two bottles open so I asked if they had a bottle with a barrel number other than 14. She brought down barrel 7G1, which I think is either from 2012 or 2013.

This brings back some memories now, the nose and taste is much more rye forward with hints of dried fruits, maybe figs. It's not as sweet as 2014, a slightly drier feel with a little caramel, charred wood that is probably giving that slighty bitter dry taste. And I mean this in a good way. Overall it's not as young and "spicy" tasting as the newer bottle, but the mouthfeel seems thinner even though both are the same proof. I also feel that the 2014 is a bit more balanced, but this may not be a good thing for since I'm using the description for bourbon. I've mentioned it previously and others agree the new release is definitely more bourbon like.

It's too bad that my interest in ryes wasn't as keen when these were released. I would buy a case on the spot. At least I know where I can go to for another pour.

post-11296-14489821230275_thumb.jpg

Point is, someone will buy that 10 rye for that price no problem. No your or I, but if this is a "bubble" than absurdity and irrationality are certainly a strong driver behind the run away prices.

I'm sure eventually it will get picked up because of this bubble. I've got one more stashed away and that's it, no more money for Michters!

post-11296-14489821229847_thumb.jpg

I have really grown to love rye in the past year and high rye Bourbons but no how no way is this 10 yr worth $100. I bought it, I emptied the bottle and it will take a lot of love on SB for me to try another.

Just my $0.02

As luck would have it, I dropped by a local bar for lunch and a drink. Originally I went in to have a pour a Vintage 21 year rye but then I saw a Michters 10 year 2014 release on the menu. Looking up at their shelf, I noticed two bottles open so I asked if they had a bottle with a barrel number other than 14. She brought down barrel 7G1, which I think is either from 2012 or 2013.

This brings back some memories now, the nose and taste is much more rye forward with hints of dried fruits, maybe figs. It's not as sweet as 2014, a slightly drier feel with a little caramel, charred wood that is probably giving that slighty bitter dry taste. And I mean this in a good way. Overall it's not as young and "spicy" tasting as the newer bottle, but the mouthfeel seems thinner even though both are the same proof. I also feel that the 2014 is a bit more balanced, but this may not be a good thing for since I'm using the description for bourbon. I've mentioned it previously and others agree the new release is definitely more bourbon like.

It's too bad that my interest in ryes wasn't as keen when these were released. I would buy a case on the spot. At least I know where I can go to for another pour.

[ATTACH]19023[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]19024[/ATTACH]

I'm sure eventually it will get picked up because of this bubble. I've got one more stashed away and that's it, no more money for Michters!

Awww yess, Hard Water. Nice little lunch spot. :)

When I got my 14C a few months ago it put it up against a 7G and Saz 18. Pretty much a draw between the two, the 7K taking the finish and nose. Of course the Saz smoked both but its really not a fair comparison.

I left a session with Michter's a couple weeks ago with a much higher respect for what he (Willie) is doing. I also felt that here is a guy, in the sunset if his years, blending recipes he's always wanted to do. I also believe that he has a willing distiller in Brown Foreman. He didn't say as much but it just adds up.

Most interesting to me is his use of a much higher amount of malted barley .. "Considerably" more than BF's 10%. He thinks it has a mellowing effect and it could account for the bourbon like impression noted by tanstaafl2.

Also amazing to me was his noting that, with Sour Mash and American Whiskey, he could use whatever mashbill he wanted. Neither are more than 50% of anything. And.. He likes a lot of rye.

So.. High barley content and any array of bourbon or rye mash bills makes Willie more than a little interesting. That's a flip- flop for me.

Most impressive, however, was a several offerings tasting including 20-25 year old juice that was simply delicious.

I also think the pricing (too frckin' high) is related to their inability to handle any significant volume of product.

I'm tempted to call them craft blenders. That ain't all bad.

Awww yess, Hard Water. Nice little lunch spot. :)

When I got my 14C a few months ago it put it up against a 7G and Saz 18. Pretty much a draw between the two, the 7K taking the finish and nose. Of course the Saz smoked both but its really not a fair comparison.

Yep, it's a nice spot for lunch and weather was amazing for SF on Friday. I have yet to try Saz18, probably on my next trip there since I'll be going with a friend who enjoys whiskey as much as I do.

The speculation that Michter's is BF seems driven solely by Willie Pratt's past employment there. I don't know who makes Michter's but I don't think BF is any more nor less likely than anyone else.

There is a very similar flavor profile, at least to me. Not that it matters ultimately, but s lot of us do have fun speculating about these things.

May I ask what turned you around on what you once reviled as "potemkin Michter's"? If you posted a story elsewhere of your own personal road to Damascus, I missed it and would honestly like to hear it.

The speculation that Michter's is BF seems driven solely by Willie Pratt's past employment there. I don't know who makes Michter's but I don't think BF is any more nor less likely than anyone else.

His relationship with BF is certainly part of the reason but not the sole reason for my speculation. The fact that "distilled in Louisville, KY" is on the product is a bit of a clue. Taste is a factor. And just a sense of ongoing collaboration I get in conversation. Obviously I don't know but BF is the horse I'd put my money on.

There is a very similar flavor profile, at least to me. Not that it matters ultimately, but s lot of us do have fun speculating about these things.

May I ask what turned you around on what you once reviled as "potemkin Michter's"? If you posted a story elsewhere of your own personal road to Damascus, I missed it and would honestly like to hear it.

I know that question is to Chuck as I would never attempt to use Potemkin" in a sentence.

But in my case it was just a chance to sit and taste and talk that made a difference. For my part, prior exposure has been in the context of constant sniper fire from the Willie haters and those who think NDP is sacrilege. Even when Willie visited Tallahassee a while back he was subjected to some sniper fire by a couple of people. I found him engaging, knowledgable, logical & as open as any honest broker might be about the inner workings of his business. And then there's the quality of the offerings.

It's not everyone's right to know everything about someone's business just because they say it is. :). Not unless Simon sez!

Not that one needs to, but if whiskeyobsessive followed my blog, that question would be answered. Go to the blog and search Michter's if you care enough to do the research yourself. Otherwise, here is a brief synopsis.

When I used 'Potemkin' in reference to Michter's, it was in a piece that criticized the publication that named Michter's 'Distiller of the Year,' not Michter's per se. On other occasions I have criticized Michter's for the way they treat the history of that distillery in Schaefferstown, PA, as their history, when all they did was re-register an abandoned trademark, and I complimented them for having the foresight to do that. It's a good thing that they have preserved the name, they just need to be more honest about who they are and treat the name as a homage to, not a continuation of, that distillery.

I still criticize them for how they handle that. They don't like it but they accept it. I've always said their product is good. They have also demonstrated their good intentions by investing oodles of money in establishing themselves not just as a brand but as a producer in Kentucky. They have put their money where their mouth is. I give them credit for that. I also think they have learned from their interaction with the enthusiast community.

They have never been belligerent with me, as those I call Potemkins often are. Instead they have reached out and asked for dialogue. Communication, learning, forgiveness; those aren't bad things.

I do follow and enjoy your blog, Chuck. The turnaround seemed sudden to a casual reader. I appreciate the explanation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.