Hirsch Selection (13year)

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was in a whiskey bar this weekend (FX McRory's, Seattle) to enjoy their most-amazing bourbon selection (well over 100 brands). I noticed a bottle of "Hirsch Selection", Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.... bottled in Lawrenceburg. I'm assuming that it's four roses bourbon. Anyone know the history of why this has a "Hirsch" name attached to it? (not A.H.Hirsch). Thanks

I am pretty sure the bottle you are speaking of Dave is a 13 yo Rye whiskey. I may be wrong but I think Julian did the bottling of it. There is also a Hirsch Selection Canadian Whiskey available but I forget its age right now.

post-87-14489811320952_thumb.jpg

Hey, I was at a whiskey bar, so consequently my eyesight may not have been in fine working order! But I think you're right, it must have been a rye. But why the Hirsch branding if it was distilled in KY?

I may not be totally correct on this so please anyone, correct me if I am wrong. I think Julian previously owned the rights (or something) to the Hirsch name a few years ago and he bottled this whiskey from stock he had purchased from somewhere else.

Mark,

I think you are correct. See here .

IIRC, someone (perhaps even Julian, himself) said that the Hirsch rye was from stock that didn't quite measure up to the VWFR 13 year rye profile.

I have a bottle of the Hirsch, and I'm hard pressed (with my tin palate) to tell the difference.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Mark and Dave,

I am totally unfamiliar with this bottling guys. What can you share with us regarding this bottling? With the Hirsch and Van Winkle names associated with it, I would have to assume that it would be a winner. Is it?

Bob

Dave,

In Spring 2002, I had a conversation with Julian during which he told me that it was the same stock. He said that when he was done filling his bottles, the remainder got a Hirsch label slapped on them.

It's a superb product in any event.

Jim,

That rings a bell. Perhaps you posted an account of that conversation and my memory of that post was inaccurate. (I just tried to find the post, but I was unsuccessful.)

Upon further reflection, the words I think I recall were more like, "...after I bottle the VWFR, what's left is bottled as Hirsch Selection..." I probably mistakenly inferred that "left" implied "leftover", with its somewhat negative connotation.

In any case, your reiteration is consistent with my inability to distinguish any difference between the two bottlings. Superb products, indeed; I think I'll have some right now. drink.gifsmile.gif )

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I did a quick search Dave and think I found the posts you may have been looking for here and here... Though the first 'here' is what I think you were more looking for.

I probably mistakenly inferred that "left" implied "leftover", with its somewhat negative connotation.

I don't know how it is done now, Dave, but there used to be some complicated rules that applied to bottling. The jest of the old days of doing it, A certian number of cases was to be bottled. If they ran out of whiskey with say a very small number of bottles to be filled a barrel was dumped the bottles filled and the remainer discarded. Same thing if the number was met and whiskey was left over it too got tossed.

<font color="green"> Good God Give Carol Kaye Some </font>

Mark,

You nailed it.

Thanks for the memory jogger.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I'm reading this as I'm sipping VWFRR from my soon-to-be-depleted bottle, and I'm thinking 'I need to look for some of this!' I don't recall ever seeing the Hirsch rye bottling around here, but I think I'm going to be keeping my eyes open hereafter.

I have a bottle, unopened, of the 13 YO Hirsch Rye. The back Label says Lot 00-1. I'm guessing this was a fairly limited bottling.

A few years ago, when I thought I had a lifetime supply of rye, I did a couple of bottlings of my rye under the "Hirsch Selection" label. I did this bottling for Henry Preiss who at the time was my CA wholesaler. He used the "Hirsch Selection" trademark while Tim Hue in Covington, KY used the A.H. Hirsch bourbon label. Henry actually snuck in and trademarked the HS label.

I would bottle Preiss's rye, then finish up with mine, so the whiskey should be identical for certain bottlings.

Julian

I am totally unfamiliar with this bottling guys. What can you share with us regarding this bottling? With the Hirsch and Van Winkle names associated with it, I would have to assume that it would be a winner. Is it?

I have sampled a bottle of both. They are both excellent rye whiskeys, not two cents worth of difference between the two. But, the Hirsch is about $15 per bottle more expensive here in Washington. Guess which one I buy when I have the chance?

Regards, jimbo

• 2 years later...

OK, old thread, but I passed this bottle up today because once again, I wasn't sure if it was worth grabbing! I'll go back and get it tomorrow!

Dawn

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.