Bulleit Rye

jmj_203
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anybody else fans of Bulleit Rye? Its one of only a few Rye's that I have an hand, but its the first one I located since starting into Bourbon a few months back. I am about 2/3rds thru a bottle, and about to pick up another to replace it. I have Ritt BiB but haven't opened it yet, but all other Rye's I've found are a good $10-20 more per bottle so I'm pretty happy with Bulleit Rye at roughly $26-27 here in Pa.

So I had a few questions. One, I know some people give Bulleit a hard time for not being real open about where they get their whiskey, and I have heard the general consensus is they source their Bourbon from 4 roses (which I heard is coming to an end soon), but where does the Rye come from if you were to guess? Also, if I enjoy this so much, any other Ryes around a similar price point other than Ritt BiB? Smooth ambler has a 7yr Rye available here now, but its $40 a bottle. CEHT has a 100 proof Rye I can get here, its $61 a bottle. Both are a bit pricy. Templeton is $41 and I know it isn't as esteemed as SA. I'm not so concerned with keeping it a cheaper bottle but thats always a plus. So I guess I should more be saying, is there anything that shares some ancestry with Bulleit Rye? Or a, if you like Bulleit you will probably like these brands. I rarely drink anything other than straight with a few drops of water to dilute to 80-90pf, so I'm not looking for a mixer rye.

Edited by jmj_203

Bulleit Rye is sourced from MGPI (formerly LDI) in Indiana. Other MGPI ryes are Templeton, Willett 4-year, Dickel Rye, Smooth Ambler Rye, and many others.

I consider Bulleit Rye a fine drink. The problem I have is that it's priced in the $30-$35 range here. I can regularly get Dickel Rye, which is my "daily", for $8-$10 less. It's the same mashbill coming out of MGPI, but I believe the Bulleit has a bit more age on it. Also, Dickel does their maple charcoal filtering process on theirs prior to bottling.

I've never done a side-by-side, but I can say that they are very similar - enough for me to give the edge to Dickel based on price alone. I do pick up the Bulleit when the 1.75's are priced to make it beat the oz-per-oz price of the Dickel.

I consider Bulleit Rye a fine drink. The problem I have is that it's priced in the $30-$35 range here. I can regularly get Dickel Rye, which is my "daily", for $8-$10 less. It's the same mashbill coming out of MGPI, but I believe the Bulleit has a bit more age on it. Also, Dickel does their maple charcoal filtering process on theirs prior to bottling.

I've never done a side-by-side, but I can say that they are very similar - enough for me to give the edge to Dickel based on price alone. I do pick up the Bulleit when the 1.75's are priced to make it beat the oz-per-oz price of the Dickel.

I'll definitely have to give dickel Rye a purchase. Its not usually in stores here, I can special order it though and have it delivered to my store. I think its listed at $23 a bottle. I guess its similarly slightly cheaper that Bulleit here in Pa, though its only by $4 to $5 per 750ml.

I'm hoping in a few years the Dad's Hat guys here in Pa have an older Rye, at least older than what they currently have bottled on shelves. Could be good if they leave enough stock still aging in barrels instead of bottling up a lot of it now to make a quick buck. From what I've seen mentioned here n there they do plan to keep aging some.

Both of these are around the same price by me, going to try the Bulleit and see if it can stand close to the Willett 4 year. I really enjoyed the Willett but if I can save $20 a bottle I would be happy.

I agree, Dickel Rye is worth checking out. Keep in mind, WFE is single barrel. Two barrels will be similar, but not exactly the same. They bottle it at different ages too.

jmj the rye from MGP is widely available under different labels and the giveaway is the mention of 95% rye in the mashbill. Some producers want to position their brand as a premium so charge a higher price but the base whisky is the same for all.

Keep in mind, WFE is single barrel. Two barrels will be similar, but not exactly the same. They bottle it at different ages too.

Also, the really old WFE Rye (like the 25 year olds they're selling at the gift shop) is not MGPI. They don't disclose the source, but it's supposed to be incredible stuff.

I love rye but not all ryes and Bulleit is one that fits the latter. Just too minty for my taste.

But then again I don't like Bulleit Bourbon either. Probably just me. But I'm a grumpy old fart so it's allowed.

I love rye but not all ryes and Bulleit is one that fits the latter. Just too minty for my taste.

But then again I don't like Bulleit Bourbon either. Probably just me. But I'm a grumpy old fart so it's allowed.

We'll give you a pass then, as age matters in Bourbon, it must matter in life. I think thats why I enjoyed the Bulleit Rye so much, I get a minty, maybe fruity like apples but a bit more tart underbelly that differentiates it from all the bourbon I've grown to love. Just fascinating as someone just getting into bourbon how you can notice the obvious similarity between all whiskeys, but I love that we have so many differing flavors and aromas available. And all that at affordable prices, as long as you buy the right ones. I'll be stopping tonight to see if I can't get an order for a bottle of the Dickel Rye, if not I'll just grab a replacement Bulleit Rye.

Edited by jmj_203

• 1 month later...

Hi. I've gone a little rye crazy which has led to my signing up at this forum.

I've have several LDI ryes and have tasted them side by side. Bulleit is easily my least favorite LDI (although I love the bottle). There is something off-putting in the initial taste.

For that price range or less for an LDI rye, I too would highly recommend Dickel (very spicey, very good, very cheap), Redemption (very similar to Dickel only more expensive and less interesting), even Templeton (extra smooth but arguably watered down at 80 proof).

Hey Hedonist, welcome aboard. Good notes on the LDI ryes, we don't often get a comparative tasting of them.

The WFEs are definitely my favorite of the MGPI Ryes available. But Bulleit is my 2nd fav. I like the tingly minty/herbal character. I find that the first pour from the bottle is a mint bomb - like a freshly opened pack of Wrigley's Doublemint. Later in the bottle, after aeration and evaporation I get sweeter flavors and a distinct lavender note. Some people around here describe a pickle juice thing, but I don't ever taste the sourness I'd associate with that note. The lavender sweetness is full on in the WFE.

I've tried to like Dickel Rye, but it always comes up a bit short for me. I find the flavors a bit duller, more muddled.

I'm a big fan of Dickel Rye, as I find it holds up better in cocktails than Bulleit. But I can actually get Bulleit cheaper per ounce when buying a handle.

Hey Hedonist, welcome aboard. Good notes on the LDI ryes, we don't often get a comparative tasting of them.

Thanks squire!

I forgot to mention James E Pepper 1776, another LDI in the Bulleit price range that I think compares favorably - plus it's surprisingly smooth for 100 proof.

Thanks squire!

I forgot to mention James E Pepper 1776, another LDI in the Bulleit price range that I think compares favorably - plus it's surprisingly smooth for 100 proof.

Oh man, the Pepper 1776 Rye is wonderful! I saw and purchased a bottle when I was in Boston but I cannot find it out here in the Desert.

Love me some Pepper 1776 Rye. By far the best LDI rye IMO, love the HW ryes too but 1776 is a better value.

It's interesting how MGPI rye can be so different for me. I absolutely hate Bulleit Rye (when I drink it neat, good in cocktails), and not a fan of the Angel Envy Rye. But HW stuff and WFE Rye 4 year are just fine and dandy. Haven't tried the JEP rye yet, so looking forward to getting a bottle based on positive reviews.

Love me some Pepper 1776 Rye. By far the best LDI rye IMO, love the HW ryes too but 1776 is a better value.

If you like 1776, give Dickel a try. It's among the least expensive of the LDIs, and I think also among the best tasting.

I do like the Dickel but it doesn't wow me like Pepper. I'll have to do an A/B test of them (before my Pepper is gone).

Thanks!

It's interesting how MGPI rye can be so different for me. I absolutely hate Bulleit Rye (when I drink it neat, good in cocktails), and not a fan of the Angel Envy Rye. But HW stuff and WFE Rye 4 year are just fine and dandy. Haven't tried the JEP rye yet, so looking forward to getting a bottle based on positive reviews.

We're in agreement. Bulleit is the single worst LDI rye I have tasted.

I LOVE Angel's Envy though. Tastes like maple pancakes.

I like Willett rye but don't love it. Still, I can understand it's strong following.

I still need to pick up a bottle of High West.

I do like the Dickel but it doesn't wow me like Pepper. I'll have to do an A/B test of them (before my Pepper is gone).

Thanks!

Funny how two people can taste the same thing and have different impressions. Same thing goes for the whiskey experts though!

Funny how two people can taste the same thing and have different impressions. Same thing goes for the whiskey experts though!

Truly! I am often stunned by how differently we can see/taste things.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.