DryFly Straight Cask Wheat Whiskey

mopgcw
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up some DryFly Straight Cask Wheat Whiskey yesterday and what a hoot. I admit I am generally not a wheater, but this stuff is way fun. Given the 120, the amount of splash to tone down the fire took a bit of experimenting to get right with this one but I was rewarded. Not cheap at $35 for the little bottle, but i would buy it again. The grain taste is out of this world, a wheat field on a hot summer day. awesome finish and smooth. the vanilla balance was perfect and not overpowering.

looking forward to try their bourbon and triticale next.

glad these guys are out there making this stuff.

post-1939-14489820893092_thumb.jpg

Well, I'm glad you had a nice experience, but the couple times that I've tried Dry Fly products (I believe one of them was some sort of wheat whiskey, BTW), I had to spit them out, they were so wretched.

• 4 weeks later...

Really? I have only recently heard about DF, I was hoping it was one of the good little guys. Anybody else have opinions on any of their products?

I bought one recently to compare my barrel aged BT wheated whisky against.

I put a liter of BT's wheated into a 1L mini barrel and left it in my basement for 5.5 months. I figure it's around 140 prf as I lost 75% to the angles. I assume the Dry Fly is 2-3 years old, but I've never seen anything concrete on that. So they should be about the same relative age.

The original Washington Wheat had its charms, but the cask strength is immensely better. All of their whiskey products are a solid 2 years old in new, 52 gallon charred barrels. The port finished wheat is also an improvement on the original. Triticale is their best spirit. Their bourbon is their worst.

Shocking these young whiskys with a wine barrel finish is probably the smart move.

I bought one recently to compare my barrel aged BT wheated whisky against.

I put a liter of BT's wheated into a 1L mini barrel and left it in my basement for 5.5 months. I figure it's around 140 prf as I lost 75% to the angles. I assume the Dry Fly is 2-3 years old, but I've never seen anything concrete on that. So they should be about the same relative age.

The original Washington Wheat had its charms, but the cask strength is immensely better. All of their whiskey products are a solid 2 years old in new, 52 gallon charred barrels. The port finished wheat is also an improvement on the original. Triticale is their best spirit. Their bourbon is their worst.

Interesting - I can handle most of their whiskey, but literally poured half a bottle of the port finished down the drain. I just found it totally undrinkable. Muddle flavors that conflicted rather than mixed.

This is insane, but I guess if you want Dry Fly to show well it's a thing you could do.

Oh, I've done many things...much more insainer....

It's a good learning process, I'll say that. Basically the only people that should be adding wheat to whiskey mash are guys named Weller and Van Winkle. Both have passed, so I suppose that says quite a bit about any wheated whiskey (or bourbon) made today.

No one named Van Winkle made any whiskey.

But, but, but...he's on the bottle!

No Dry Fly made any whiskey either. How does a fly get wet, anyhoo.....?

But, but, but...he's on the bottle!

No Dry Fly made any whiskey either. How does a fly get wet, anyhoo.....?

Typically it gets wet when you cast it into the river.

I've stopped by the Dry Fly distillery a few times and so far have really enjoyed their products. Their bourbon is ok, but the basic wheat whiskey and their CS wheat whiskey is where the shine. Oddly enough, and dont kill me for this, but I also really like their gin. Both my wife and I found it good enough to sip neat, lots of fun flavors going on there.

I've stopped by the Dry Fly distillery a few times and so far have really enjoyed their products. Their bourbon is ok, but the basic wheat whiskey and their CS wheat whiskey is where the shine. Oddly enough, and dont kill me for this, but I also really like their gin. Both my wife and I found it good enough to sip neat, lots of fun flavors going on there.

We've got it similar with Berkshire Mountain Distillery in Massachusetts. Their bourbon tastes like bourbon, which is good, but their gin selection where they really seem to be selling, with lots of variety in their special releases, and is very, very good.

We've got it similar with Berkshire Mountain Distillery in Massachusetts. Their bourbon tastes like bourbon, which is good, but their gin selection where they really seem to be selling, with lots of variety in their special releases, and is very, very good.

I crap a lot on micro distillers bourbon offerings, as I think they pretty much all taste like...well...crap. However, I have had the Berkshire bourbon, and I agree with your statement that it does actually have a bourbon taste to it. It is maybe the only one...

I crap a lot on micro distillers bourbon offerings, as I think they pretty much all taste like...well...crap. However, I have had the Berkshire bourbon, and I agree with your statement that it does actually have a bourbon taste to it. It is maybe the only one...

I have not had Berkshire bourbon, may have to change that, but the rye coming out of Woodinville Whiskey, craft distillery near Seattle, actually tastes like rye, which I really enjoyed. It's too expensive at $50 a bottle, but it is good. On the other hand, their first release of straight bourbon was somewhat disappointing. It lacked depth (duh) but also did not have lots of that bourbony character, more like a blander grain whiskey (not saying all gran is bland, just my best way to describe this). This does not even take into considering the $150 price tag per bottle, though a lot of that was due to the collector nature of their first straight bourbon. Supposedly their regularly released straight bourbon will be more in the $60 range. Still pricy, but not completely insane.

I've been waiting for a report on their first straight bourbon. I totally balked at the price tag. I'm also skeptical about it at $60 unless it's really really good. They are down the road from me, so if it's decent I'll probably buy some just to show support while hoping for better days.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.