George T. Stagg

Marvin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Come on, you all!! Let's get real. George T. Staggs is for sure one find bourbon, but face it, it will absolutely singe the hair off the top of your toes!!! You talk about how smooth it is and at 137.6 proof this not meek, mild and gentle!!!! This will grab you by the handlebars of your moustache and slam you to the ground and say "come on big boy, let's have one more". And of course, we say yes, very softly. This bourbon is not for the beginner and maybe not for the informed, but one fine bourbon it is. This makes my ears turn red and takes me back to my younger days - what a bourbon!!!

Cheers,

Marvin

Marvin, where did you get a bottle? I was just in Newport Fri. & Sat. and neither Party Source nor Party Tyme in Erlanger had any yet (and I talked to the management to make certain.)

And since all bourbon gets cut I actually love the fact that I can sip this one neat to taste it and then cut her down the proof I want myself!!

drink.gif

Isn't he talking about last years Greg (137.6 proof)? This years is 142.7 proof. I dont think the new one is going to ship for a few weeks. Wow, the hype that surrounds Stagg is amazing! smile.gif It truly is one fine bourbon.

I am the first to say when a product is superlative and if others lead the way I am only too happy to agree with them if the fundamentals are right. This has not been my experience with the George T. Stagg bourbon, however. I had a solid dram of it at the Seelbach Hotel in Louisville pre-Festival. Next to it was a Forester Birthday Bourbon and a Rowan's Creek for comparative purposes. I am sure the Stagg was last year's, still very high in proof but not the stupendous party animal just released. I found it good but not great. Based on the fulsome reports on these boards, I thought it would be better. The 1990 Birthday exceeded it methinks by a sound margin. I thought the Stagg was more akin to the Booker's-type profile, i.e., a big bruiser and therefore without the depth or finesse of Kentucky's very best. The Rowan Creek bested the GTS too, I thought (I wasn't sure if the RC was the current one (from the wooden box) or the one issued some years ago and was that much younger when bottled). I tried the Stagg straight but only a microsip - it isn't intended to be drunk straight at that proof (circa 136), of course. The only way to judge it against its peers was to reduce it to their proof. (Also at its full admittedly majestic proof it would be hard to taste the Stagg at all). There was another experienced taster with me and he concurred with my underwhelmed view. Maybe it was an off bottle, but that seems unlikely. Thus far, I have found the Birthday Bourbon of Old Forester to be the best bourbon available today. It seems by the way most closely to meet the taste profile Mike Veach has reported for pre-Second War bourbon whiskey.

Gary

I find it hot on the lips and in the mouth but smooth down the throat.Strong but smooth at the same time. Would not take much to falling.gif

Gary, ok, we will lump you in with all the Makers Mark lovers, yes, the heresy group. shocked.giflol.gif

Seriously, thanks for the comments. It just goes to show that we all have different taste buds and different bourbons strike us different ways.

I remember when I first tasted Stagg (last January I believe), I was hesitant to sip it because of all the hype it had received - would it live up to its billing? I held the glass in my hands for a few minutes before even taking a sip. Remembering Jeff's tasting notes, I inhaled the aroma and savored it. I remember feeling it on the back of my throat - the aroma - I hadn't tasted it yet!

I finally took a sip and, out loud, declared to my Mom (I was in WV helping her at the time) how great this bourbon was. I was in heaven. GTS is the only bourbon that has lived up to its billing for me. Hirsch 16 yo is good, but IMHO the hype supercedes it. WT 12 yo is good, same result. Others have fallen on this same path, but Stagg has triumphed.

Ok, I'll shut up now. blush.gif

I found it good but not great. Based on the fulsome reports on these boards, I thought it would be better. The 1990 Birthday exceeded it methinks by a sound margin.

Brilliant deduction, Gillman! I couldnt agree more. (Just watch out Jeff & Bobby are gonna get you now! cool.gif) LOL.

BDay Bourbon is better!

TomC

I do want to chime in with some agreement here. Stagg is smooth for a bourbon of 136 proof. This may sound redundant but it is a high proof and if you expecting smooth like Woodford Reserve or Blantons you are gonna be suprised. While I do think it is quite refined, it is not for the beginner or faint of heart. Once you get where you can dig it you will be justly rewarded but Stagg = not for newbies. blush.gifblush.gifYou might kill 'em! blush.gifblush.gif

TomC

Tom, two comments:

(i) I'm not a newbie. smile.gif

(ii) The only way to test what you are suggesting is to taste the Stagg next to, say, Birthday Bourbon at 136 proof or close. I think Birthday would show finesse can exist at a high proof. If Old Forester at 86 and 100 proof is smooth and rich, why not at 120 or 140?

IMH(but non-newbie)0. smile.gif

(i) I'm not a newbie.

I was in no way trying to suggest that you were a newbie, my good man. In fact from your posts I quite interested in the wealth of knowledge that you share with us. My response that Stagg is not for newbies is more in response to this quote in Marvin's original post:

Come on, you all!! Let's get real. George T. Staggs is for sure one find bourbon, but face it, it will absolutely singe the hair off the top of your toes!!! You talk about how smooth it is and at 137.6 proof this not meek, mild and gentle!!!!

In this case I must agree with him. We talk about how smooth Stagg is but we all take one thing for granted, and that is we all have previous experience with bourbon. If I gave this stuff to the random Jack n' Coke drinker at a bar they would probably spit it out it was so hot to them. We all through our bourbonic journeys have conditioned our palates to be able enjoy something like Stagg. I would not hesitate to pour you a dram of Stagg if you were to vistit my household (feel free BTW if you are ever in central OH) becuase I am sure you would appreciate and enjoy it. My best firend however, while a helluva guy, is not a bourbon drinker and would probably dump half of it out when I wasnt looking, being nearly undrinkably powerful to him. (he could not understand how I drank Blanton's neat, complaining that it was too strong). Thats what I meant when I said Stagg is not for newbies.

TomC

Gotcha, and thanks for the very kind remarks (plus I was smiling after my original remarks, recall).

Could never get piqued anyway at, (i) the legatee of my VOB 100 proof, and (ii) (this the clincher) someone with Canadian heritage way back. smile.gif

Rock on Man! Your response gave me an opportunity to clarify my original post, so its all good! grin.gif (BTW I had a glass of the aforementioned VOB again last night! thanx again.).

TomC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.