Grandma Schwartz

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It occurs to me for no particular reason to tell the story of the funeral of my great grandmother, Grandma Schwartz. Between the funeral and the reception at the house, some of my cousins and I went looking for an appropriate libation with which to make a toast. Grandma's personal drink of choice was a type of cheap, fortified wine whose name escapes me at the moment. Mercifully, none of it could be found. Instead, we agreed on Wild Turkey 101. Why? Because Grandma lived to be 101 years old.

This type of activity was not per se a family tradition, but you have to create some new ways of commemorating such a life. At the reception, we went around the room with the bottle and a shot glass and got everyone to drink a shot to grandma's memory. Everyone participated, including her 80-year-old daughter, my grandmother. For the little kids, we substituted 7Up.

It became quite a fun, memorable and suitable tribute. (This all took place close to 20 years ago, so no condolences are necessary.)

--Chuck Cowdery

Your summation of this wonderful tribute is spot on--"fun, memorable and suitable." With your kind permission and indulgence, I'd like to salute your great-grandmother (and her great-grandson) tonight with a nip of Russell's Reserve. (Sorry, I have no WT101 in stock at the moment.)

SJ

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hey I've got some Russell's Reserve also. Let me open it up. There..."To Grandma Schwartz!".

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

I missed this post yesterday, but my Russell's Reserve is waiting tonight - I salute your life and your family's honor, Grandma Schwartz!

Ralph Wilps

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.