Willett 2yr Rye

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anybody know if this has hit ATL and if so, seen it on shelves? Was trying to hold off on any purchases for a bit, but may reconsider for this one. :) Would appreciate if anybody has cracked one sharing some notes. I know KL and Bourbon truth have posted some already.

http://thebourbontruth.tumblr.com/post/90133081051/new-willett-rye-review-the-willett-distillery

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2014/6/27/kulsveen-aka-willett-whiskey-finally-here.html

It's about an 80/20 blend of the high rye to low rye.

74% Rye / 11 % Corn/ 15% Malt

51% Rye / 34% Corn / 15% Malt

Thank you for your response! I know it has hit the Indy area so I will be looking for a bottle since I have enjoyed every Willett product I have purchased.

I am curious as to the decision to provide this product as a blend. I would think that the 20% "low rye, higher corn" portion probably helps balance it out. Is the intent for the product to always be a blend or for it to transition to a higher rye content (e.g., closer to the 74% rye)?

Edited by mbroo5880i

I applaud the idea of blending different mashbills in whatever proportion works best and wish more of the producers would do that. I don't buy that a single mashbill makes for the best whisky from every barrel all the time.

I applaud the idea of blending different mashbills in whatever proportion works best and wish more of the producers would do that. I don't buy that a single mashbill makes for the best whisky from every barrel all the time.

I agree. I have always enjoyed HW Rendezvous Rye and Double Rye, both of which are blends. I know their sourced rye was the 95/5 mashbill. I find this blend interesting. There are a lot of ryes on the market that are just above the legal limit and several in the 95 to 100% range. The nominal rye content of this blend is about 69.4%. This seems like a unique rye in today's market.

• 3 weeks later...

$35 here in ATL (before tax), and proof is 108.1. I wonder how many different "batches" they had (although all seem to be in the same general proof range).

$35 here in ATL (before tax), and proof is 108.1. I wonder how many different "batches" they had (although all seem to be in the same general proof range).

Someone asked Drew on Twitter today and he said there have been two batches so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Thoughts on 2 year vs 4 year? I've located a store in ATL area that has both but can only get one.

Thoughts on 2 year vs 4 year? I've located a store in ATL area that has both but can only get one.

If you want to try something interesting and different to get a taste of what the future holds for Willett, pick up the 2 year. If you want a solid expression of an MGPI rye, get the 4 year. I'd say that the 4 year is still the better all-around pour, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to taste Willett's own distillate. I can drink MGPI rye whenever I want.

Thanks guys. I didn't offer this information because I wanted an unbiased response. I have some of the two year and REALLY enjoy it. Took me by surprise, actually. So, my decision is to either buy more of the stuff I already like, or try something different. I may just bite the bullet and get both...along with multiple other bottles I'm picking up.

During my weekly visit to my regular store I asked about when this was going to hit Missouri. Apparently, never and quite possibly none of the Willett Family Reserve offerings for a while. Missouri changed their alcohol laws requiring that every label version get approval, including variations in proof. It's just a paperwork thing, but for smaller places it's going to be a real pain. From my discussion, Willett is skipping Missouri and the handful of other states that have similar laws in place.

Fortunately, Illinois isn't so backwards and it's not that far across the river. Weekend trip, here I come!

• 3 weeks later...

Came across 3 bottles of 108.1 proof today $44.58 in Massachusetts north of Boston. Furthest north that I have seen Willett in New England.

IMG_2854_zps2b936e69.jpg

Ted

• 1 month later...

Had a 111.something proof 2 year here in New Orleans. The highest proof batch I have come accross. It wasn't as good as 109.4. It really took the crafty aspects of 109.4 and put them on blast. How many different batches of 2 year have there been now?

Had a 111.something proof 2 year here in New Orleans. The highest proof batch I have come accross. It wasn't as good as 109.4. It really took the crafty aspects of 109.4 and put them on blast. How many different batches of 2 year have there been now?

I've seen at least 3 batches now.

Anyone else try the 111 proof and have thoughts? Saw this today and just about picked it up but I usually am picky in the $40+ range.

I just saw the 108 proof for sale for $50 in the Boston metro area. The store had a display of at least 4 cases. I'd be much more eager to purchase it at $35.

I saw this on a shelf for $35.99 last week. I recently revisited the bottle I have and was pleasantly surprised. I may pick up another. Wouldn't pay $50 for this, though. Just buy two bottles of Rittenhouse.

It's about $36 in NJ as well, but in very limited quantities. I've only seen a few bottles here and there.

Anyone else try the 111 proof and have thoughts? Saw this today and just about picked it up but I usually am picky in the $40+ range.

Drinking the 107.7 proof tonight. Getting a ton of red-hot cinnamon candy with some floral notes in the back. Really enjoying this tonight.

I did not care for this at first, but really came around on it about halfway through the bottle (108.1 proof.) Just bought another bottle (107 proof), hoping for similar results.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.