The Vatting Thread 2014

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

22 hours ago, dcbt said:

Don't forget MMCS.  I've done MMCS, ECBP, and Stagg Jr together in equal parts, a twist on Ron's Four Grain, and it's delicious.  Add water, again equal part, and it's a mid 90s proof tasty treat as well.

Edit: if you count MGP, you'll also need a SAOS in there!

DOH!  Can't believe I forgot Makers (slaps forehead).  Thanks for the reminder!

18 hours ago, flahute said:

Are you familiar with the Unity Bottle that was created for the Parker Beam Promise of Hope fund? It's essentially what you are talking about (though it was bottled at 100 proof).

This was another thing I learned about at the Jim Rutledge event.

I am familiar, and remember thinking that is probably some damn tasty whiskey I'll never taste (although not really bitter because I'm thrilled they got $10k for the 2 bottle set, which is a solid $9k and change above what I would be able to afford!)

I never heard about this Unity bottle but now I'm intrigued with this vatting idea.  Sounds like the original used Woodford instead of Barton, but I don't think WR puts out a barrel proof, or even high proof, do they?  I may try it even with regular ole WR and maybe add an eighth part water to bring the proof down from 116ish to 102ish.

On 2/1/2016 at 5:37 PM, Golzee said:

Mixed up a 750ml vatting of EC12 and JW Dant BIB at 50/50.  I believe that EC12 is too woody, and wanted to lessen the age with another Heaven Hill bourbon.  JW Dant seemed like it would be a good candidate.  I'm going to let in mingle for a couple weeks and then I'll give an update.  I was tempted to mix EC12 with an 8ish year EWSB that I had, but, I decided that we will know what the new EC tastes like soon enough.

I think the Henry McKenna 10 Year Single Barrel BiB would be a good alternative to that as well.  Younger EC12 with less wood.

17 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I think the Henry McKenna 10 Year Single Barrel BiB would be a good alternative to that as well.  Younger EC12 with less wood.

HMck BIB is probably my favorite HH expression.  

On 11/19/2016 at 0:56 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I did a little experimenting with this months BOTM in order to make it more "palatable". In other words, I'm trying to find a way to finish my bottle. ^_^ I started with an approximate 50/50 mix of BT and Beam Double Oak. This was an improvement, and much more drinkable, but it still needed something else. I looked up at my open bottles and spotted my 1979 decanter of Beam 10 year old 80 proof. Hmmmmmm. :huh: I added some of this to the mix, and voila', that did the trick.  A nice mix if I do say so myself. :D  FWIW, I might try it later on without the BT and see how that works.

Cheers! Joe

Thanks, Joe.  I wasn't sure I wanted to spring for yet another JB offering because I find the JB BIB fits most of my "needs", so I've passed on the JBDO, forward oak not being a something I crave.  For experimental purposes only, I shall follow your lead - especially because all my favorite stores have sales from now to Christmas.

I had a pretty decent day at work for a change.  :huh: I got home from work and couldn't make up my mind on what to pour. So, I decided to do a little vatting experiment. Pretty much a 50:50 mix of Weller 12 and ORVW 10/107. Dayyyyyummmm!  Pretty darned tasty if I do say so myself.  I just might have to mix up a  larger batch of this one. ;)

Cheers! Joe

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I had a pretty decent day at work for a change.  :huh: I got home from work and couldn't make up my mind on what to pour. So, I decided to do a little vatting experiment. Pretty much a 50:50 mix of Weller 12 and ORVW 10/107. Dayyyyyummmm!  Pretty darned tasty if I do say so myself.  I just might have to mix up a  larger batch of this one. ;)

Cheers! Joe

So on average 11 years, 98.5 proof.  I wonder if that's closer in profile to Weller Centennial than the current SB Blend that uses NAS OWA?...

• 2 weeks later...

Ran out of 100 proof bourbon for general drinking purposes (cocktails, every day pours). I usually keep multiple BIB on hand, but, I guess I have been doing more drinking than buying for once.  So I mixed a bottle of JBB 8yr @86 proof and a bottle of OGD114 together for a new 100 proof bourbon.  Figured that each would complement the other with age or rye influence.  I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

On December 9, 2016 at 9:38 PM, Golzee said:

Ran out of 100 proof bourbon for general drinking purposes (cocktails, every day pours). I usually keep multiple BIB on hand, but, I guess I have been doing more drinking than buying for once.  So I mixed a bottle of JBB 8yr @86 proof and a bottle of OGD114 together for a new 100 proof bourbon.  Figured that each would complement the other with age or rye influence.  I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Ya know , I'm not a fan of the JB Black, as I find it sooty.  But, I have to admit that a vatting with OGD114 sounds interesting.

16 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Ya know , I'm not a fan of the JB Black, as I find it sooty.  But, I have to admit that a vatting with OGD114 sounds interesting.

It is dangerously drinkable. Reminds me of OGD BIB with a little more complexity to it.  Makes a damn fine Old Fashioned.

On 12/11/2016 at 3:08 PM, Golzee said:

It is dangerously drinkable. Reminds me of OGD BIB with a little more complexity to it.  Makes a damn fine Old Fashioned.

Ah, poop.  Now, I have to try this.  Did you just do a straight 1:1?

1 minute ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Ah, poop.  Now, I have to try this.  Did you just do a straight 1:1?

Straight up to make it a 100 proof.

33 minutes ago, Golzee said:

Straight up to make it a 100 proof.

Got it.  I just happen to have a partial OGD 114 and an actual and open JBB "*YR" and a clean Container Store 16 oz. (473+ml) "retap water bottle".  Later tonight, after I finish the dishes, I'll try this.  Did you let it sit for some "measured" time, or did you just mix them and sample now and then?

Edited by Harry in WashDC
take out the "ed" on the end of happen

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Got it.  I just happen to have a partial OGD 114 and an actual and open JBB "*YR" and a clean Container Store 16 oz. (473+ml) "retap water bottle".  Later tonight, after I finish the dishes, I'll try this.  Did you let it sit for some "measured" time, or did you just mix them and sample now and then?

Sampled straight after mixing, but, I have 1.5L of it...so it will be an ongoing experiment/mix.  Hope you enjoy, let me know if it is trash can worthy:D .

On 12/9/2016 at 10:01 PM, Golzee said:

photo.JPG

Wow Ryan, you really went for it! No messing around with 2oz vattings for you!

12 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Wow Ryan, you really went for it! No messing around with 2oz vattings for you!

I was fairly confident I would like the blend.  With bourbons in the $20-25 price range, I don't mind mixing two bottles together to see what happens.  However, if I were mixing anything more expensive, I would start with a few ounce vat.

• 4 months later...

This thread needed a bump--

I mixed up 200ml of a little something special for the Dave Mason concert last week -- 30% HHSS / 30% PH wheat / 30% OWA107 / 10% MMCS

Final proof = 118.56

Fantastic blend! Will definitely make another batch.

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread after stepping into my laboratory this afternoon.  I usually vat with a goal in mind, and today's goal was to create something from all three main mash bills (high rye, wheat, 'regular' rye), thus also encompassing four grains.  I came out of the laboratory with four vats that shall rest for a few weeks, at which point I'll open my CEHTFG and maybe do a blind SBSBSBSBS even if the Four Grains doesn't have the high rye component.  The four vats:

1)  I first went high end, looking for a way to get 10 year, 100 proof.  My options were limited from the high rye perspective, so I settled on HMcK10, RY10, and then Bulleit 10 with an OBSK PS I had that was 10+ years old to up the proof on the B10 to get to 100 proof.  We'll call this one Rebel Hank's Guns N Roses Centennial.

2)  Next I went more commonplace, something with ingredients I could get every day and went with Grampa Mark's Turkey: OGD114, MMCS, WTRB (since all are about the same proof), and then just a touch of water to get the proof right around 98.6.

3)  Next I wanted to try something from a single distillery.  Staring at me was a series of Barton bourbons: 1792 FP, Sweet Wheat, and High Rye.  Also added a touch of water to get the proof to 99.4.

4)  As an offshoot to 3, just for kicks I went with a BT Trio as well: ETL, W12, and ER10.  This one is obviously 90 proof and thus a bit of an outlier (esp since their high rye isn't really all that high in rye) but I was in a groove so I kept the vatting party going.

Now we wait...

Edited by dcbt
typo

13 hours ago, dcbt said:

Reviving this thread after stepping into my laboratory this afternoon.  I usually vat with a goal in mind, and today's goal was to create something from all three main mash bills (high rye, wheat, 'regular' rye), thus also encompassing four grains.  I came out of the laboratory with four vats that shall rest for a few weeks, at which point I'll open my CEHTFG and maybe do a blind SBSBSBSBS even if the Four Grains doesn't have the high rye component.  The four vats:

1)  I first went high end, looking for a way to get 10 year, 100 proof.  My options were limited from the high rye perspective, so I settled on HMcK10, RY10, and then Bulleit 10 with an OBSK PS I had that was 10+ years old to up the proof on the B10 to get to 100 proof.  We'll call this one Rebel Hank's Guns N Roses Centennial.

2)  Next I went more commonplace, something with ingredients I could get every day and went with Grampa Mark's Turkey: OGD114, MMCS, WTRB (since all are about the same proof), and then just a touch of water to get the proof right around 98.6.

3)  Next I wanted to try something from a single distillery.  Staring at me was a series of Barton bourbons: 1792 FP, Sweet Wheat, and High Rye.  Also added a touch of water to get the proof to 99.4.

4)  As an offshoot to 3, just for kicks I went with a BT Trio as well: ETL, W12, and ER10.  This one is obviously 90 proof and thus a bit of an outlier (esp since their high rye isn't really all that high in rye) but I was in a groove so I kept the vatting party going.

Now we wait...

I'm curious to the results

19 hours ago, dcbt said:

You've inspired me to try a variation of the BT Trio: 2xETL, 2xW12, 2xER10 & 1xWLW (2016) . . . . . . . . maybe?   :lol:

Finally poured from my BT vatting last night... WOW! I wish I had measured and recorded the contents...  hoping I can duplicate it. It is the last pour "or so" from OWAW12, Blanton's, Stagg jr., CEHT SmB, ETLBT

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.