The Vatting Thread 2014

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey guys, I know this is a subject that is throughout the threads,but I thought it would be a good idea to have one with all the different vats that we have tried,a "recipe book" you might say.So we could just go and look up some new ones, or add some new ones to the list. So here goes, I am going to list vats by the dominant one first followed by the dominant mixture as well,which is based off 100% rather than 2:1, I figure that way we can have an exact pour ratio for whatever you want to mix up - eg.. 1oz,pint,375,or 750.

First just a quick story why I thought about this.. My wife and I went out for their x-mas party on Sat. at a Comedy sports club, went the bar to see what they had, nothing but a WT101 for the top shelf!, They had some JBW,and some OF prime for bottom,which I thought unusual. Any way I ordered the WT neat, was tasty ,but boring, so on the next round, I told the guy give me a pour of the WT & top it off with some JBW,he didn't even bat an eye and poured it. Quite tasty! Had 1 more during the remainder of the night.

So anyway here goes:

JBW/JBB - 50:50 mmmmm. -- One of my go to's -(83 proof)

BT/JBDC - 50:50 -- another good one - (90 proof)

EC20/PVW20 -55:45 -- oooh! - (90 proof)

EC21/EC18 - 55:45 -- nice balance - (90 proof)

VOB 6yr.(86)/AAA10 yr. -- 55:45 -- currently drinking this one,very tasty! - (86 proof)

EC12/Stagg jr. -- 55:45 -- almost like ECBP! - (112.18 proof)

EWB/Stagg jr. -- 60:40 -- mmmmm - (105.36 proof)

EWB/AAA10 yr/Vob 6yr/Stagg jr. -- 40:25:20:15 -- very tasty! (93.26 proof)

EWB/AAA10 yr/Vob 6yr/Stagg jr. - I also took this one and added a touch of CEHTR with it quite remarkable!

Those are just some of the ones I have tried or can remember, here are some of the ones I picked up off old threads:

OFBIB/JBDC - 50:50

EWB/WTRR - 65:35

OWA/OW12 - 50:50

Angels envy/WT101 -- 80:20

PVW15/VWFRR - 50:50

KC/4RSSB -- 60:40

EWB/EWSB --50:50

EC12/RR10 -- 50:50

I'm sure there's someone out there that can probably make this into a better table than I can , so feel free to do that. Any how,hope you guys get to try some of these,and look forward to hearing some new ones! Once the list grows I'll try to revamp it accordingly.

Some that I've tried and loved, mostly from suggestions of another SBer, include:

OGD 114/Ritt BIB Blend (75:25)

WT101/OFS (50:50)

OWA/W12 (60:40) & (70:30)

I think with almost any of these though, if someone is interested in trying them out they should play with the ratios to suit their liking. If you like a 50/50 ratio, go ahead and try a 60/40 in both directions. I know I'm glad I did that, as the SB Blend at 50/50 is really good, but doesn't hit me like the 60/40 (or even the 70/30).

OGDBIB and 4RYL @ 50:50 does a very good imitation of ETL at about 40% less money and the same exact final abv.

One that I've been enjoying lately is EWBIB and EBSB 12yr at roughly 60:40.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

One that I've been enjoying lately is EWBIB and EBSB 12yr at roughly 60:40.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

EBSB 12 yr. .. I bet that's good.. I always liked Ezra B. unfortunately out of it. Always stood out on flavor,very unique.

And the list grows, keep'em coming!

JBW/JBB - 50:50 mmmmm. -- One of my go to's -(83 proof)

BT/JBDC - 50:50 -- another good one - (90 proof)

EC20/PVW20 -55:45 -- oooh! - (90 proof)

EC21/EC18 - 55:45 -- nice balance - (90 proof)

VOB 6yr.(86)/AAA10 yr. -- 55:45 -- currently drinking this one,very tasty! - (86 proof)

EC12/Stagg jr. -- 55:45 -- almost like ECBP! - (112.18 proof)

EWB/Stagg jr. -- 60:40 -- mmmmm - (105.36 proof)

EWB/AAA10 yr/Vob 6yr/Stagg jr. -- 40:25:20:15 -- very tasty! (93.26 proof)

EWB/AAA10 yr/Vob 6yr/Stagg jr. - I also took this one and added a touch of CEHTR with it quite remarkable!

OFBIB/JBDC - 50:50

EWB/WTRR - 65:35

OWA/OW12 - 50:50

Angels envy/WT101 -- 80:20

PVW15/VWFRR - 50:50

KC/4RSSB -- 60:40

EWB/EWSB --50:50

EC12/RR10 -- 50:50

OGD 114/Ritt BIB Blend (75:25)

WT101/OFS (50:50)

OWA/W12 (60:40) & (70:30)

OGD114 and Dickel 12

OGDBIB and 4RYL @ 50:50 does a very good imitation of ETL at about 40% less money and the same exact final abv.

EWBIB and EBSB 12yr at roughly 60:40.

Stagg Jr. and Old Grand Dad 80 mixed 50-50

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate the vatting ideas concerning Stagg Jr. I just don't dig it as a stand alone pour

I managed to get some Weller 12 and I've got a 50/50 and 60/40 of OWA/W12 mingling right. Great thread. I'm curious for more ideas making something better than the parts.

I enjoy trying different combos of 4RSB recipes to make up my own personal LE SmB.

I have 4 recipes coming tomorrow. I'll share any that come up with.

I mixed up a 200 ml. of 4rY and OGD bib 60/40 wow what a nose,and quite tasty,I recommend trying it if you have them. Final proof --88

Another for the list: WT101 & OFS (equal parts).

Hey Gary, That's one I have not tried as of yet --OFS (good?) (of course they're all good in my book!)

I enjoy OFS - for around/under $20, it is a solid, high-rye 100 proof bourbon. Not as good as the older Old Forrester BIB, but not much that has been around that long is as good as it was :)

I've been finding that there are certain "bases" to start with,just to name a few that I have found are FRY,VOB6,EWW,EWB,I usually will start with one of these and then go from there,right now I just tried FRY/WT101 60:40 (88.4 proof)Quite nosey and tasty,tried a pour first,then if I like it I mix up a 200 ml.(which I did of this)then go back to it down the road and see if it still was what I liked to begin with. I must say I really enjoy vatting! I even made up a spread sheet where you can input the whisky's and proportions,proof and have it tell you the resulting proof,and how much of each to mx in ml. and oz. quite handy.If any of guys want it...pm me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just threw a little ECBP into my EC18, and really loving it. Brings down the wood notes from the EC18 and adds a bit of sweetness (not to mention bringing the proof up just a tad). Probably a 5:1 ratio with just a bit of ECBP, but amazed at the difference it made!

Just stumbled in here and then read the thread. Lemme say this about that: we all get a clunker bottle now and then and have no idea what to do with it.

YOU are providing a needed public service.

There's only so much BBQ sauce you can make (another thread) or so many people you can get to drink the clunker (several other threads). And, it's a sin to pour it out (a given; after all, it's bourbon, or at least whiskey/whisky). If it's OK with you guys, I'm copying these (and future thread postings) into a WORD document so I can let you all tell me how to mix the 6 or so clunkers I currently have on hand or buy in the future to make them palatable. I know I have neither the patience nor the liver nor the tastebuds to perform this task effectively.

Thanks and TIA.

PS -now, if I can only remember what the document's name is . . .

Just think of the constituents: what you don't like about each, but how combinations may produce the needed balance. One may taste good but is too woody. One may taste "bad". One may taste bland. Try 1:1:2. Or 1:1:3. Or… No need to tax liver functions if you try very small amounts. If you think it through correctly you may hit it right the first or second time. Not rocketry. (More like cooking, if you do that).

Gary (Gillman)

Edited by Gillman

Thanks, Gary. This thick head has been thinking only about what fruit juices go with what. Honestly, I never thought about looking for the missing pieces in one and filling them with overtones in another. I've just been moving them to the back of the shelf (well, shelves). What a wonderful rainy day activity.

And it isn't just ones that you're not crazy about. Granted, I'm not using my WLW for a lot of vatting experiments. I love OGD 114 all by itself; same with Ritt BIB. But I like them together as well. In fact, when I've had a bourbon that I just didn't like much - I haven't had much luck with "improving" it by adding what is missing. Or rather, while it may have improved some, it used so much of something else to do it that I didn't find it worthwhile. I like the juice approach for those :)

It works well with ones you don't like too, but proportions are critical, a few drops either way can make or break the drink. But certainly it works great with "good" whiskeys too.

The reason it works is, the spectrum of flavours in straight American whiskey is actually quite narrow - as many blind tastings amongst experts at Gazebos has proven… The drinks are much more alike than they are different so it's not apples and oranges but more, Golden Delicious and McIntosh and Empire and… (commercial juices are often blends: same logic works in bourbon or rye, bourbon and rye).

Gary

After opening another new bottle (ER10) that I hadn't tried before and found it wanting I discovered an read this thread.

I'm now going to purchase a decanter and try vatting bottles that don't hit my "damn this is good" taste buds rather than drowning it in ginger ale or diet coke. I have also found that some bottles don't taste the same as the previous one even if sampled over numerous days.

Plus it gives me something new to try with my favorite hobby.

Questions, what type of decanter do you use (old empty bottle) and what type of vessel do you use for measurements? How long do you let it mingle before tasting?

After opening another new bottle (ER10) that I hadn't tried before and found it wanting I discovered an read this thread.

I'm now going to purchase a decanter and try vatting bottles that don't hit my "damn this is good" taste buds rather than drowning it in ginger ale or diet coke. I have also found that some bottles don't taste the same as the previous one even if sampled over numerous days.

Plus it gives me something new to try with my favorite hobby.

Questions, what type of decanter do you use (old empty bottle) and what type of vessel do you use for measurements? How long do you let it mingle before tasting?

I just use a glass measuring cup with ml. on it,walmart $3, I was also able to get a few older 200ml. J.W.dants from a fellow Sb'er,for my pre-samplers,then if I really like the vat I go on to some old BT bottles, I love these bottles for this purpose. Pretty soon your collection starts growing with all the different vats,and you find yourself wanting these more and more!

I always start with just my glencairn for trial purposes a little of this a little of that,then if it's good it goes to the 200ml,so on and so on,I really don't think it takes long for the marriage,I've gone back to some of mine and they taste the same as when first married.(IMHO)

Now here's one I just tried on Fri.,I just got me a bottle of the Booker's 25th and it is delicious! However near the end of the pour I was looking at my bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 yr. old, (which has a bourbon like quality to it already),so I said hey what the hell,I put in a few drops,and let me tell you Wow,just fantastic! My drinking buddy agreed.

I still have to say the ultimate one for me so far, is still my 20/20 of PVW20/EC20 that is some of the most fantastic juice I have ever had the privilege to taste.

And as I stated earlier , I made a spread sheet that works great for these vats,you just put in your juice and proof,and % and it calculates the final proof for you and so on, plus you can keep notes on all of them,be glad to share with anyone if they want it.

Vat on!:cool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.