Lagavulin 16 - WOW!

bicktrav
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yesterday. I'm a big fan of Islays like Laphroaig, but had never tried Lagavulin (shocking, I know). Just posting to say... WOW! Lagavulin 16 is hands-down the best scotch I've tried. Even compared to Laphroaig, which I love, the texture is so smooth and silky and the peat finish is thick as can be, warm, lingering and incredible. For anyone that's somehow missed this bottle, pick it up. It's a classic for a reason!

Nice work. They don't get much better than the Lag 16 for me either. I buy more expensive bottles, for sure, but very few peated whiskies are more satisfying than this staple. The price has shot up in the last year, but this will always be in my cabinet.

I hate to admit it, but Lagavulin 16 would need to be north of $100 for me to not consider having a bottle or two put away. It's a great malt by any measuring stick. If you like the 16, don't be shy about trying the 12 out as well. It needs water to bring the abv down, but is just an excellent dram.

I've owned one bottle and was thoroughly disappointed with it. It just did pretty much nothing for me, weak on all counts. I had a 12yo CS that I really liked a lot, but the 16 was toned down so much from the 12 that there is no reason for me to ever pick one up again, especially at the prices they go for these days. The sherry influence was restrained, general and washed out, and the peat registered only ever so slightly. Honestly, more caramel color in the stuff than flavor, IMO.

Sorry to be such a downer on it, that was just my experience. Peat and sherry go together like peanut butter and jelly, but the Lag 16 just didn't register that pleasure for me. I'll be happy to try it again if you want to pour me a glass though!

I like this one. It makes a nice diversion from the Laphroaig 10, which is my go-to Scotch. The biggest problem I have is with the price. Around here, Laphroaig 10 runs $39.95 and the Lag 16 is $84.95. I know I'm in the minority, but I acutally prefer the Laphroaig 10, even though I like both.

I've owned one bottle and was thoroughly disappointed with it. It just did pretty much nothing for me, weak on all counts. I had a 12yo CS that I really liked a lot, but the 16 was toned down so much from the 12 that there is no reason for me to ever pick one up again, especially at the prices they go for these days. The sherry influence was restrained, general and washed out, and the peat registered only ever so slightly. Honestly, more caramel color in the stuff than flavor, IMO.

I had much the same experience, tasting notes and all, with bottles purchased in 2012 and late 2013. The first bottle I bought, in 2010, was a heck of a lot better, and in fact it's the bottle that made me like whisky. However, that may have been because I'd never had an Islay before.

This might dovetail with the Lagavulin expansion, completed in 1997.

For all you Costco members, I got my Lag 16 at Costco for $55. Don't know whether all Costco's have them nation-wide, but for whatever it's worth. I saw the price and figured at that range I should grab it.

The Lagavulin wasn't really my preference in whiskey, although I enjoyed the Ardbeg Uigeadail and Kilchoman Machir Bay a bit more. If you were up here in the Bay Area, I would just give you my bottle of Lagavulin 16 haha.

And FYI, about purchasing liquor at Costco in California for those that don't have membership, you don't need to be a member to make alcohol purchases.

Lag 16 is a great whisky. Personally, I prefer the 12 year old. I'd take Laphroaig 10 CS over both of them.

I had much the same experience, tasting notes and all, with bottles purchased in 2012 and late 2013. The first bottle I bought, in 2010, was a heck of a lot better, and in fact it's the bottle that made me like whisky. However, that may have been because I'd never had an Islay before.

This might dovetail with the Lagavulin expansion, completed in 1997.

Yup. Lag 16 is my wife's favorite. She ordered some recently at a restaurant (new bottle) and said it tasted "off". The several we have at home are several years old, old enough I don't remember when we bought them. Bad Sci may be on to something.

I love Lag 16 too. I think it's more balanced than the 12 cask strength but they're both good. YMMV.

In one of Ralfy's vlogs, he mentioned that Lagavulin isn't what it once was.

Whenever one of us old fahts opines that "something" just is not as good as it used to be, I often wonder whether "it" ever was as good as we thought it was. Reminds me of the commercial where the old guys are talking about walking to school and one says, "Feet? You had feet?" I mentioned this thread to my wife, the Lag lover, and she just laughed. "When I said it tasted different, I didn't mean it was bad. Remember, we'd just eaten a calorie-laden meal at a 4-star restaurant, and my tastebuds were singing, so of COURSE it tasted different." Going back to the cave now.

Lag16 is in my Top5 All-Time whiskies of any kind. Both for its taste and also sentimental reasons. I always have a bottle on the bar. I don't know about any recent change, but don't hardcore Scotchophiles also opine the change of distilleries some years ago?

Lag16 is in my Top5 All-Time whiskies of any kind. Both for its taste and also sentimental reasons. I always have a bottle on the bar. I don't know about any recent change, but don't hardcore Scotchophiles also opine the change of distilleries some years ago?

I think the general view is that bottles from the 1990's were different from the later ones, and an emerging consensus that the newer ones are different from those in the past 15 years or so. As a counterpoint, Serge at whiskyfun thinks it's as good as ever. Maybe it's in my head, or maybe it's due to the massive increase in production starting in the late '90s. The sherry casks could be reused more, the cuts could be narrower, the aging could be more controlled to reduce evaporation, etc.

Or this indeed could be hooey and we just have a rosy remembrance of things past!

If I recall correctly, Ralfy was recently saying that the Sherry Finishing of the DE was mediocre and off, but the spirit itself is still decent. FWIW, I don't really think the standard Lagavulin 16 has much in the way of sherry influence anyway, only having heard rumors that some (probably increasingly small portion) is aged in sherry casks and blended in with mostly ex-bourbon. Those of you remembering a really strong sherry influence may want to check out the Distiller's Edition instead. Seems like those are going on sale just about now. What I personally love about Lag16, 12, and Caol Ila is that the peated malt they all share has brilliant chocolate flavors that peak through, which just really goes well with the peat. I've tasted the combo in straight ex-bourbon versions of both, and in versions that definitely do have some sherry influence, so I'm not worried about losing the peaty chocolatey goodness.

At any rate, I can currently get Lag 16 for $49, so I try to keep a bottle bunkered.

At any rate, I can currently get Lag 16 for $49, so I try to keep a bottle bunkered.
Wow, that's a hell of a deal. It's almost double that around here.

Wow, that's a hell of a deal. It's almost double that around here.
Edited by tanstaafl2

In Wash DC, regularly $70 but on sale often enough @ $60 to wait and watch for sales.

In Montgomery County (MD) stores, regularly around $57 AND they usually have it.

Northern Virginia? VA ABC website says $97.

Needless to say, I've never seriously looked for it in VA.

Love the Lag 16 as well. Great experience with the bottles I've had. Last paid about $57 on military base thanks to BiL.

I picked up a bottle of Lag 16 in South Africa recently to keep on hand as my "special occasion" pour. It was on sale and cost me about $75. Normally that bottle is around $100 around here. The nice thing though is that there is often hardly any mark up at the bars (compared to the US at least). You can often get a pour for $8-10 bucks.

I compared Ardbeg 10 to Lagavulin 16 last night and I definitely enjoyed Lagavulin more. Better balance, more sweetness, whereas Ardbeg was a mouthful of ashes.

The Lagavulin wasn't really my preference in whiskey, although I enjoyed the Ardbeg Uigeadail and Kilchoman Machir Bay a bit more. If you were up here in the Bay Area, I would just give you my bottle of Lagavulin 16 haha.

And FYI, about purchasing liquor at Costco in California for those that don't have membership, you don't need to be a member to make alcohol purchases.

I'd take that Lagavulin off your hands.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, it's now been a little over 2 years since the last post on this thread, but I had my first taste of Lagavulin 16 this summer. My first bottle cost me almost $100, but recently picked up another bottle for $80 and should have bought more than one, but I travel through that area frequently so I can buy it again when I'm passing through. I like Laphroiag 10 quite a bit, and for around $40, it's a great regular dram, but if I could have Lagavulin 16 at that price, I'd probably never drink Laphroiag 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.