History of the Dant Gethsemane Distillery, 1872-1961

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Steve Beam, at Limestones Springs, found a series of six aerial photographs of this distillery taken in 1961. They are in the University of Louisville Digital Collections. That got me looking into the whole history of the place, which I knew in dribs and drabs but not in any great detail. This blog post isn't all of the detail I found, but enough to give you a good picture of this small but important distillery.

Fascinating story Chuck, thanks for sharing. I've read very good reviews about dusty bottles of JW Dant from Gethsemane. The modern version from HH is still one of my favorite value pours.

Hey Chuck, thanks for the history, I wonder if repurposed rackhouse lumber would retain the odor that you smell when in one? I wonder how deep into the wood that odor penetrates? Be neat to make a bar out of some or perhaps a small bar table.

In the mid 1960s were drinking Dant Bourbon with the Gethsemane address on the label though I can't say if it was made there.

I have a 1947 Dant from this distillery. I'm gonna enjoy it more after seeing Chuck's photo of the place.

Joe :usflag:

I'm told that, yes, you could smell it in the wood originally but not after time. I couldn't smell it when I was there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.