Sunday Bloody Sunday

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey, Phil. I love the cocktail threads, too. I bought a bottle of the 13th Colony corn whiskey a couple of years ago. It was OK. I prefer Mellow Corn and Dixie Dew more, so I don't visit the 13th much. Plus the MC and DD are about half the price.

• 7 months later...

As you can see, I'm a stickler when it comes to cocktail name integrity. A true Martini must contain gin. A Margarita is made with tequila; a Daiquiri, rum; a Manhattan, whiskey (rye or bourbon); a Sidecar, brandy (including cognac); a Rob Roy, scotch; a Jack Rose, applejack; a Bloody Mary, vodka; etc.

If you allow bourbon in your Manhattan you can't that much of a stickler. Might as well put vodka in your Martini.

it is rye (and I don't mean "Canadian rye") or nothing for me in a Manhattan! :cool:

A plethora of rules, cocktail name integrity?? Sounds pretty uptight, but if that works for you Who am I to say you're wrong..:toast:

What I do know I is that the bourbon adds a totally different level of flavor....and the big kicker...order a bloody in a restaurant made with bourbon, they will treat you like a rock star.

You are correct. However, my reasoning behind this exception is as follows: The difference between a 51% corn / high rye bourbon and a 51% rye / high corn rye whiskey are negligible. If you mean that a Manhattan should only be made with a non-corn rye like Bulleit Straight Rye Whiskey (with a mashbill of 95% rye and 5% barley), I wholeheartedly concur. But if a 51% rye grain mashbill is allowed, I would also be willing to substitute a minimal corn / high rye bourbon for it any day. They're as little as 7% different (allowing for 5% malted barley in each to aid in starch-to-sugar conversion).

In addition, insisting on a rye with no corn would exclude the vast majority of rye whiskeys on the market from being used in a Manhattan. That isn't what I meant when I used the term "stickler". What I meant was a Margarita made with Crown Royal.

It would be interesting to know what Pre-Prohibition mashbills for rye whiskey were. Were they composed of nearly all rye, like the Bulleit rye I mentioned, or did they allow for some corn in the mash?

By the way, you certainly can make a Martini with vodka instead of gin. Only then, the drink becomes a Kangaroo.:grin:

My Bloody Mary recipe would probably bore you, because I came to what I like years ago, and that's pretty much how I do them. I did make an improvement last summer, when a lady on Google Plus suggested using Old Bay seasoning instead of salt and pepper. So here is my recipe:

Regular Bombay or Beefeater gin

V-8 juice

A good squeeze of fresh lemon

Tabasco and Lea & Perrins sauces

Old Bay Seasoning

A celery stalk if I have one

Tim

I'm even more boring. If I want a bright, fresh Bloody Mary, I'll use Smirnoff Bloody Mary mix with whatever vodka is on hand. If I want a bold, robust Bloody Mary, I mix Zing Zang with vodka. A celery stick or something similar to stir with is nice, but extra work.

Call it, name it what you want but if you ever try OGD114 in a Bloody Mary you'll never go back. :cool:

• 4 months later...

Second day of vaca found me cooking bacon first thing. Then tall glass, ice, M&M bourbon, worsestershire, hot sauce, horseradish, bloody mix, and of course, very thick cut smoky bacon as a garnish. For some reason, bloodies taste better on vacation

Edited by Phil T

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.