Book recommendations?

maybeling
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am part way through Chuck Cowdery's new book, "Bourbon, Strange" and let me put it this way: Chuck has forgotten more than most people here know about bourbon and if you don't buy this book, you are missing out on the best modern treatment of the subject I know.

The writing is crisp, well-edited, very knowledgeable, and sometimes leavened with humor. The book brings up to date an industry which has changed a lot in the last 10 years. In the first 4 chapters Chuck gives a good precis of what bourbon is (and is not), where the word may come from, the current producers real and NDP, and the significance to the consumer of key drivers such as length of aging and proof. Then the book segues into some little-known corners of whiskey-history, e.g., the former might of Peoria in American distilling, the situation during Prohibition, the history of National Distillers, and many other parts of American bourbon or straight whiskey history.

This is a must buy for anyone here with more than a passing interest, which means, everyone. Don't miss it.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

"Tasting Whiskey" by Lew Bryson is my new favorite read. Well organized, comprehensive, informative and to the point. If you can only have one book on Whiskey this is the one you should have.

Anything by Cowdery is a must read.

Not Bourbon related but I also found "Armagnac" by Charles Neal to be very informative and inspiring.

"Cognac" by Nicholas Faith is a great introduction to a great Spirit.

"Tasting Whiskey" by Lew Bryson is my new favorite read. Well organized, comprehensive, informative and to the point. If you can only have one book on Whiskey this is the one you should have.

Just recently purchased, but haven't cracked it open yet. Seems like a great read!

I just finished "Beam, Straight Up" by Fred Noe. It's a simple, but insightful, read into the history of the Beam family from his perspective. I especially enjoyed his recollections of what it was like growing up and coming of age in the small town of Bardstown.

• 2 weeks later...

Received Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible 2015 for my birthday. (Also received 2 Tevolo ice ball makers.) First look is I will use it, does not have WSR for example, which surprised me.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, that's a great book. Tons of information, especially for "beginners" with lots of cool infographics. :)

Loved Lew Bryson's Tasting Whisky!

• 1 year later...

Received a couple of bourbon books for my birthday.   I have read the revised American Whiskey, Bourbon & Rye Guide by Clay Risen and found it interesting with very good tasting notes.   Probably a good buy for the novice bourbon lovers as the notes would be useful while having a pour or two.    

I am am only a third the way through the second book: Bourbon Curious by Fred Minnick.  It is a thoroughly enjoyable read and I highly recommend it for any bourbon lover.   

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, $helby said:

Received a couple of bourbon books for my birthday.   I have read the revised American Whiskey, Bourbon & Rye Guide by Clay Risen and found it interesting with very good tasting notes.   Probably a good buy for the novice bourbon lovers as the notes would be useful while having a pour or two.    

I am am only a third the way through the second book: Bourbon Curious by Fred Minnick.  It is a thoroughly enjoyable read and I highly recommend it for any bourbon lover.   

image.jpeg

Fred can, and does, write a damned good book, eh?    This is a very enjoyable read, I agree.

Great reading all the recommendations...got to say that I'm heading to Amazon right now to order "Bourbon Curious".  Of course I already have some of the others mentioned :)

• 10 months later...

Great thread!  I have read a couple of the books mentioned above - Bourbon, Straight (Cowdery) and Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey (Veach) - and enjoyed both, learning a lot.  I plan on following up with Bourbon, Strange (Cowdery), Bourbon Curious (Minnick) and American Whiskey, Bourbon, & Rye (Risen).   Thanks to other posters in this thread for suggestions.

I have a suggestion of my own.  I received as a gift last Christmas a very nice large format "coffee table" book that provides a photographic tour of the Kentucky Bourbon country.  Particularly useful for those of us who have not yet had the pleasure of a visit there in person, it provides some beautiful photos of the area, including inside several of the major distilleries.  The name of the book is The Kentucky Bourbon Experience (Howlett).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.