Evan Williams Egg Nog

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It is a little early in the season for such things, but on my last trip to the state store I notice with great pleasure that they had decided to carry it this year, and snatched a bottle right up! As the side label (reminiscent of an EW 7 year bottle, but in Egg Nog Cream and green)states:

"Evan Williams set up his distillery in Bourbon country in 1783 and is historiacally recognized as Kentucky's First Distiller. An ever since these colonial times, Southerners have made egg nog blended with Bourbon a part of their seasonal celbrations. This original Southern-style egg nog brings all this tradition and heritage home to you in a special treat for the holidays."

It says the egg nog has Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Blended Whiskey, rum and brandy added.

I must say that I was very suprised at the quality of this egg nog. Most of the already bottled with spirits nogs I have had were nearly undrinkable. It tastes like they even used pretty decent dairy products in it (though unchilled dairy products give me the willies. . .). While I dont think it will replace my home made egg nog recipe completely, I must admit that it will be a regular repurchase during this and future holiday seasons. At $6.99 for 750 ml its a fairly solid but.

Tom (full of holiday cheer) C

toast.gif Tom! I bought the Evan Williams Egg Nog last Christmas for the first time and I'd rank it the same way you did. It is very drinkable and not 'weak' like some of these type drinks. Bettye Jo probably is a little more familiar about this stuff but I think they are pretty watchful and careful about the bottling process as well on this one seing as how there is dairy in it... Like I think they pull samples off the line wuite often and test it and such.

I have faith in them, especially if Bettye Jo had anything to do with it. Its just weeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiirrrrrrd.

LOL

TomC

PS as Mark mentioned it a fairly strong glass of Egg Nog, like 17% abv, so I wouldsuggest pounding large quatities, it will sneak up on you later puke.gif.

I hate to say this but I bought 3 bottles last year for a party we had... Well let's just say we went through 2 and one got 'lost' down stairs in the wash room. Well I found it about a week ago and it wasn't a pretty sight! puke.gif

Let me tell ya...The Evan Williams Egg Nog is a bad ass run...We have been running it since September...

Mark, you are right, special precautions are taken when nog is on..."ABSOLUTELY NO" threaded NOTHING anywhere...Stainless on everything the product touches...That particular line has a solid stainless steel manifold with stainless welds...(Bacteria can set up, in the threads of a screw)...

The prep for the line takes about 2 hours...The clean up afterward (just the washing out of the lines , stems, tanks) takes 2 1/2 hours...We stay focused on what we are doing...it's serious stuff when you know that folks are depending on you to make thier life healthy...

All the nog that we run is "Sold in advance"...No product is made up "Extra" because the shelf life is 7 months...The last run was for 12,500 cases...The one before that...6,000 cases...It's been kinda steady like that for months...

I know from these runs that the product is good...I personally don't like egg nog but everybody else does grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif...So.....I know it is good grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

I bet the EW eggnog would be hard to get up here on LI,

especially because of a 7 month shelf life.

When I drink eggnog, I usually have it with ice to break the sweetness.

Namaste, Nancy

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for running this nog. It was a bargain! My bottle is sitting on my shelf waiting for a little closer to the holidays but I am eagerly anticipating it.

Let me say one thing: Evan Williams Egg Nog is THE BEST I have ever had! I can only wait to open my bottle up. It brings back 'sweet' memories of KY for me. smile.gif Well thank heavens, I am legal (age wise) considering my parents used to make a batch of it for Christmas but due to its content, we kids were not able to consume any. I guess "All good things come to those who wait!"

As we all know, the holiday season starts tomorrow after the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade ends with Santa in tow-->(Up here in NYC) the radios have been playing holiday music, so I have been starting my spririt a little premature. With that in mind, I will however still wait to open the bottle and keep on listening to my music!

PS: Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

• 1 month later...

I recently got a bottle of the EW Egg Nog with a purchase from Binny's. I finally opened it last night, and I really enjoyed it a lot. Lots of good egg nog flavor, with a definite alcohol "kick" to it. Hopefully next year, I'll have some on hand before the holidays. That said, this bottle will keep me in the holiday spirit for awhile longer! grin.gif

Bob

My bottle is sitting on my shelf waiting for a little closer to the holidays but I am eagerly anticipating it.

It was VERY GOOD. I even bought a second bottle. Made my broken bones feel better! THANKS, Bettye Jo, for all the trouble it takes to make. It's worth it!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.