EWBiB or HHBiB?

Quintilian
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

From what I've gathered after reading posts on this fine site and other places, EWBiB and HHBiB are very good whiskies at a value price.

I plan to get my hands on both them sometime (hard to find around here) and try both, so for me, it's not really an either-or question, but really and both-and proposition. However, which do you prefer and why?

I'm fine with EWBlack for what it is, and I'm a big fan EWSB, so I'm curious how HHBiB is significantly different.

You can't go wrong with either one. Just my impression that the difference between EW BIB and HH BIB must be barrels selected for a particular profile, maybe from different rick house or different areas. The HH has a bit more rye spice and the EW more buttery like EW 1783.

theyre very similar. I doubt youd notice much difference unless side by side, and then only barely. That said, I think HH6 is minutely better, and a few bucks cheaper, but distribution isnt equal.

Funny... I just did a side-by-side tasting of EW BiB and HH 6 year BiB. (the 6 year HH BiB may not be available in your area)

Simply put, EW is like EW Black with more bite (naturally). it's smooth and sweet with a lot of traditional bourbon flavors of caramel, vanilla, etc.

HH6 tends more towards the oak and wood side. lots of tannins, and tastes older than it is, honestly. It's like a younger Elijah Craig.

post-11299-14489821075901_thumb.jpg

I really like both. they aren't so different that you should love one and hate the other, but they're different enough that you could easily have a preference. both are fantastic values.

Edited by ModernThirst

For me Evan Williams BIB is slightly more flavorful than Heaven Hill's 6 year BIB but also a bit rougher. Both are well worth it and as suitable a pair of candidates for comparison tasting as any.

Are you referring to HHWhite label or HHGold label?

For what it's worth, the HHBiB is the one for me. It tastes like a whiskey twice its age. Then again, I love oak, so folks who feel otherwise might easily prefer the EWBiB. That's what's great about whiskey: here are two bourbons from the same mashbill from the same distiller, at the same proof, etc., and yet with such different results -- and such consistent, different results, too.

That they are, Heaven Hill has achieved three things here, very good quality, very good price, very good consistency.

I say this often, but it sometimes shocks me how much I'm coming to like so many of Heaven Hill's products across the spectrum. From bottom shelf to limited release, they just put out good products. These two are great examples of low-priced bourbons that would be good regardless of price.

I say this often, but it sometimes shocks me how much I'm coming to like so many of Heaven Hill's products across the spectrum. From bottom shelf to limited release, they just put out good products. These two are great examples of low-priced bourbons that would be good regardless of price.

For me Evan Williams BIB is slightly more flavorful than Heaven Hill's 6 year BIB but also a bit rougher. Both are well worth it and as suitable a pair of candidates for comparison tasting as any.

This has been my experience as well - up front and mid-palate the EWBiB has more of what I characterize as EW character (sweet, round, black cherry/caramel-vanilla) but had a rougher finish (bitterness, rough tannins) that seems out of character for the EW brand generally. The HH6BiB has less of the black cherry, more oak, a bit more herbal/grass, but had the better finish.

Splitting hairs ... but I'd throw it to the HH BiB 6 year.

Mark another for EWBiB's sweet beginning, but rough finish. Always solid, but my palate's mood on any given night can sway it a few notches in either direction between "OK" and "very good".

Wish I had the option of the HH label varieties, but I'm sadly stuck with the 80 proofer.

I only have access to EwBiB, and I have to say it is definately full flavor. Baby EC is a valid description. It is very much awesome on the rocks, the proof and flavor shine thru the chill and the rough finish is a bit muted.

A little too tasty on the rocks actually as is is 100 proof, lol.

Mark me as another who leans to the HH BIB. I love the consistency in appearance, flavor and finish (smooth). The "young EC" descriptor noted up thread fits perfectly.

Maybe it is just the difficulty getting HHBIB in WashDC while EWBIB is readily available, but I find HHBIB a bit more interesting than the EWBIB which is strange because I like EWB better than the lower proof HHs. But, I'd likely have trouble, without labels, telling you honestly which one I really preferred. [ASIDE: Thanks to Squire, I have a WashDC source for HHBIB other than a restaurant I go to a lot. I will be forever grateful.)

Hell, they're both pretty darn good IMHO. Just flip a coin, or buy a couple of each.:grin:

• 3 years later...

I finally had the opportunity to try both. Im about finished with my EWBIB, but recently picked up a HHBIB during a recent trip to Kentucky. Although both are similiar I have to give HHBIB my vote. To me it tastes more mature than EWBIB and smoother.

38 month post resurrection!

I agree jfletchgu. quite similar, but HH6BIB tastes a bit older. Since this thread started, HH has confined distribution from just a few states, to just KY. I still think EWBIB just took the place of the gold label HHBIB that was assumed to be 4 years old.

Oddly enough, in KY, it is easily the cheapest BIB you will find, and my favorite too.

For some reason, I cannot tolerate EW Black. I literally get a gag reaction to it, and that makes no sense to me, as it should just be watered down EWBIB. But, I like my bourbons 100 proof and neat......

10 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

38 month post resurrection!

Lol...I was wondering if anyone would catch that. I figured no reason to create a new post might as well bring this one back from the dead.

On 9/1/2017 at 9:27 AM, Jfletchgu said:

Lol...I was wondering if anyone would catch that. I figured no reason to create a new post might as well bring this one back from the dead.

When you have a name like Whiskey Dick, seeing a resurrection is most noteworthy.  :D

When you have a name like Whiskey Dick, seeing a resurrection is most noteworthy.  [emoji3]

Joe, I can just see you grinning as you typed that! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my area where I live there isn't a choice, only EW BiB is available. Would like to try the HH BiB of course!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.