Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've never actually seen this on a shelf. I entered my state lottery for it at $80. I'm not holding my breath but I'd like to try it. 

• 2 weeks later...

2016 OFBB came in here this week - $89.99 OTD.  Only six (6) bottles, tho' - no more coming, so highly allocated.  Just got paid, so I had a few bucks to spend before adding $$$ to the BTAC fund.  Shared her with some whiskey-geeky friends and we were all surprised that we like it so very much!  It can be very bad sometimes to have very needy friends . . . . . .  :lol: 

I thought I'd got lucky when I went into a store in MS while traveling. Most of the prices were very good, but I already have multiples of my favorites, but was looking for screaming deals or highly allocated stuff. I did find a great buy on Booker's Noe's Secret, so grabbed one for the bunker, and then saw a glass case with two OFBB bottles. I made my way over to the case hoping I'd find a reasonable price on them...nope...$138 each. I asked if that was negotiable and they said no. The staff knew it was a high price, but said the price was set by the boss and they couldn't do anything about it. Oh well, looks like the hunt continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, after a week or so with enough air in the bottle to modify the palate (I hoped) I went back at this.    I've generally liked OFBB, and a few have really been in my wheelhouse.    This one was waaaaay to 'citrus rind forward' upon first taste from the full bottle.    The nose didn't give that away, having a very typical OFBB nose... rich, oaky, shellac overtones with some cinnamon, and some other baking spice character (clove?).    But, after pouring afew ounces into a 6-ounce bottle to 'air out for a week... or maybe it was eight days... it improved considerably.    Still has a good deal of that citrus rind thing going one; but that is somewhat subdued compared to the first taste.    Much better balance after the air time.    A VERY full-bodied Bourbon.      Is it one of my favorite OFBB's?    No.    Too much of that citrus for my taste buddies; but a solid pour, and one you could dwell on trying to tease out a few more hidden characteristics.

• 1 month later...

Sadly, I thought I missed the boat on this. I was holding out hope that I could get one when my local shop did their holiday gift basket release only to have missed the launch. Imagine my surprise when I hit up a shop 1/3 mile down the road from my office and saw this. 

unnamed-7.jpg

Nicely done! Really wanted this year's BB and missed out. One of my bourbon buddies got one, which is the next best thing. It's a really good whiskey. 

I was pretty floored. The larger shops that I frequent barely got any in, if at all. My only hope was the holiday basket release that I somehow missed. My jaw dropped when I saw it displayed like this. I almost started dancing in the aisle. I can't wait to crack it open. 

I've stopped at a number of shops around the central Indiana area & none have been able to get any for me.  It's been a bummer-- I really wanted to try it.. I've heard all the rave reviews!

5 hours ago, Purdue3kgt said:

I've stopped at a number of shops around the central Indiana area & none have been able to get any for me.  It's been a bummer-- I really wanted to try it.. I've heard all the rave reviews!

Not sure how it is out there, but the owner of this shop was telling me they had to order like 10 cases of reg OF to just get one BB.

• 2 months later...

Finally cracked the seal on the '16 OFBB. Did a SBS with OF 1920 and OF SiB. To me, the nose on the OFBB was heavy with nail polish remover so I couldn't pick much else out. I tasted a lot of oak and banana nut bread with undertones of maraschino cherries and a hint of musty leather with some black licorice on the finish. The three versions were very similar with the 1920 winning out. I think the higher proof helped push it past the BB flavor-wise. I liked them all but 1920 @ $59 and 115° in my mind just whooped the BB @ $94 and 97°… 

Disclaimer: All freshly opened bottles and I am just getting over a wicked cold so further tastings WILL be required. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.