Old Forester Birthday Bourbon

Guy Debord
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One of my favorite LE's. I admire and enjoy the shifts in profile they manage to execute with each release. But, this very thing is why it doesn't hit some folks sweet spots at times. I've definitely enjoyed some more than others from a pure drinking enjoyment standpoint, but loved All of them for what each one brings to the table with its individuality. 2013 was awesome to my palate, and I look forward to what goodies 354 will coax out of the '14.

One of my favorite LE's. I admire and enjoy the shifts in profile they manage to execute with each release. But, this very thing is why it doesn't hit some folks sweet spots at times. I've definitely enjoyed some more than others from a pure drinking enjoyment standpoint, but loved All of them for what each one brings to the table with its individuality. 2013 was awesome to my palate, and I look forward to what goodies 354 will coax out of the '14.

Well, saints alive, we finally agree on something.:shocked:

Joe :usflag:

The 2014 is a return to the profile of the pre-2013 releases: more wood driven, dry and spicy. The 2013 is still the best release over the last several years.

It seemed like everyone raved about the 2013. I like it, but don't quite get the accolades, seemed like a fairly basic bourbon to me. Great nose, I didn't think the taste matched it. I'll probably pick up a 2014, but won't go out of my way to find one.

This is similar to my experience. I had heard great things so picked it up in Florida a few months ago and shipped it back to myself in Dallas. I hadn't opened it when someone brought his bottle to the DFW tasting in August so I tried it then. Great nose but taste was kinda meh. As a result, I'm not overly eager to find the 2014 and in no hurry to open my 2013.

I'm really nitpicking now - but I cant stand the shape of the bottle. It takes up way too much surface area in the cabinet.

(edit spelling)

I'm really nitpicking now - but I cant stand the shape of the bottle. It takes up way too much surface area in the cabinet.

(edit spelling)

It's funny you say that because the OFBB is the one bottle that guests seem to love the shape of. They always say things like "I love this way this bottle looks" or "You should save this one when it's empty, it's such a classy bottle".

It's funny you say that because the OFBB is the one bottle that guests seem to love the shape of. They always say things like "I love this way this bottle looks" or "You should save this one when it's empty, it's such a classy bottle".

Yeah, it looks kinda' cool, but it is a real space hog. I can get 2-3 "standard" shaped bottles into the footprint it takes up.

On the positive side, it doesn't knock over. I think it's worth its shelf space.

OFBB was one of the first bourbons to pull me in to enjoying American whiskey.

On the positive side, it doesn't knock over. I think it's worth its shelf space.

OFBB was one of the first bourbons to pull me in to enjoying American whiskey.

A case of six takes as much space as a case of beer! :bigeyes:

It is quite tasty tho'

I quite enjoyed the 2012 too.

OOOOH, Me Too! I found the '12 to be deep and mellow, lots going on. Maybe not as balanced as the '13 which was excellent. But, I liked the little bit more wood I found in the '12 really well. But, that's me. I do like 'em woodier than many folx.

I think the 2012 is possibly even better than 2013. It doesn't have the nose of the 2013, but the body and especially the finish is just incredible. According to BF the 2012 had extra barley in its mashbill and I think you can really tell its there, especially at the finish. To me it has an almost smokey, peat-like aspect reminiscent of a good scotch. 2012, 2013, both fine bourbons.

Tried the 2014 tonight. Since I never had a bottle of the 13 and only had a small taste, it's tough to compare. But either way, I really enjoyed it.

I'm counting on everyone to let us know when first seen?!

Oh, you can bet you'll hear. Along with crotch shot pic, and separate thread "Price Check! How Much is OFBB in Your Area?" :lol:

I had luck finding OFBB in several places in NKY last year. Seems like it hung around shelves for a while.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.