New Woodford Reserve rye on the way

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sku posted this on twitter this morning. After recent discussions wondering if B/F would produce some rye after the distilling of Rittenhouse they did for HH, here's an answer.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=14156001000098

Interesting that it says distilled in Kentucky by not necessarily by Woodford. I presume that is to cover the fact that it is coming from B-F in Louisville. No age statement it would appear although that is hardly a surprise.

Interesting that it says distilled in Kentucky by not necessarily by Woodford. I presume that is to cover the fact that it is coming from B-F in Louisville. No age statement it would appear although that is hardly a surprise.

One of the theories posited in the twitter discussion is that it comes from Early Times in Louisville.

Well, at least it says "Straight" and, according to the COLA, would be 90.4 proof. It'd be "other" than OO or the Canadian ryes. I have no idear whether Woodford is capacity-restrained and could not produce its own rye but as Steve noted ET is certainly likely for this "Kentucky" distilled rye. I wonder what the price point for this will be - above or below the JD Rested Rye . . . Also, I don't recall whether B-F submitted a COLA for an "older" Rested Rye. Easy enough to search - as soon as I get my ponderous body off this couch . . .:rolleyes:

I vote for DSP 354 as the point of origin. Woodford is being promoted as a quality name and I believe B-F would proudly list that on the label if Woodford were the source.

The label states: "produced by the Woodford Reserve Distillery". Is this in doubt?

The label states: "produced by the Woodford Reserve Distillery". Is this in doubt?

"Produced by" doesn't mean "distilled by." Woodford doesn't have enough capacity to fill all of their bourbon bottles without adding DSP 354 barrels into the vats, so they surely don't have the capacity to add a rye to the lineup there.

"The barrels that are used for this exceptional, hand-crafted rye whiskey have been specially selected by our master distiller."

"Distilled, matured and bottled in Kentucky, our Straight Rye delivers the bold, spicy character that afficionados seek from our award-winning distillery, a Historic Landmark."

Obfuscation.

I hear what you're saying. However, who's to say they don't add BF juice to the bourbon because they want to. It 's good juice. Also , on four trips there in past couple of years, i have never seen the pot stills operating. And who knows how much of this rye they have made? Finally, what else could 'producing' mean at that location?

Not arguing .. Just posing the possibility. Will try to find out and hope others will.

Hm. Michters 10 rye, this, and a rumored 19 year, Kentucky-made Jeff rye appear a little more than 10 years after 354 started making rye for HH, but who now have stopped. How is this stuff not 354? I guess Barton is possible as no one ever seems to know what they are doing, but I think it has to be BY stuff. Which is fine, if the price is OK .

Sku pointed out that all of Woodfords products say "produced by" as opposed to "distilled by."

Yes, and during the distillery tour that won't tell you that part of Woodford bourbon is coming from 354 and will dodge the question with great enthusiasm when asked.

And there is no problem putting "distilled by" on Old Forester or Jack Daniels bottles. Seems pretty clear to me that they don't make all of it at Woodford and possibly don't make any of it.

Not that it matters. I will certainly try a bottle if the price isn't completely ridiculous! Would love to see an age statement too but not going to bet on that either.

"Produced by" are weasel words used to convey the impression the whisky was actually distilled there when in fact it was made elsewhere. Woodford labels sell for a premium and Brown-Forman knows how to turn a buck.

"Produced by" are weasel words used to convey the impression the whisky was actually distilled there when in fact it was made elsewhere. Woodford labels sell for a premium and Brown-Forman knows how to turn a buck.

That's the thing. Woodford is ok but they keep raising the price for a whiskey that is no better than average. The name on today's product does not warrant a premium.

That's the thing. Woodford is ok but they keep raising the price for a whiskey that is no better than average. The name on today's product does not warrant a premium.

That's my fear is that with the Woodford logo, the price point on this 90 proof NAS rye will be $40 (pure speculation on my part). I'll definitely look for a chance to try it, and if it came in at $25 - I might even buy it first before trying it. Just too many solid ryes out there below where this one likely comes in at price-wise, although I am happy to see more rye options. Maybe it will induce folks to leave my Ritt BIB on the shelf :)

My thinking is they will at least ask the same price as WR bourbon. If this turns out to be one of those limited edition type deals, it could be much more.

That's my fear is that with the Woodford logo, the price point on this 90 proof NAS rye will be $40 (pure speculation on my part). I'll definitely look for a chance to try it, and if it came in at $25 - I might even buy it first before trying it. Just too many solid ryes out there below where this one likely comes in at price-wise, although I am happy to see more rye options. Maybe it will induce folks to leave my Ritt BIB on the shelf :)

I'd love to know what you think are the solid ryes out there.

I suppose one will be able to tell which distillate it is soon after tasting it for the first time. If it's from Versailles, it will scream their house style, as it shows in everything they make. I doubt it will be, though, based on poor reception of the Masters Collection Ryes from a few years back. The mashbills on those were 100% rye, IIRC. Is the mashbill on this release known at this time?

If I were B-F, I'd try and copy the successful known entity they've been making for years at 354.

I'd love to know what you think are the solid ryes out there.

Ritt BIB, Jeff 10 (which is getting harder to come by), Bulleit, and JEP NAS. And I see Redemption 6yr Barrel Proof on the shelves for $56 regularly (which I think is a very nice pour for the money - if money/space were no object I would be bunkering the sh!t out of this one!)

• 2 weeks later...

This could be good value if it's good rye from somewhere else that gets punished by the market for it's "Woodford Way"

This could be good value if it's good rye from somewhere else that gets punished by the market for it's "Woodford Way"

Agree on the proof issues.

Where I shop, Woodford sits on shelves and goes on sale. So it should be a cheap investigation in any case.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.