BOTM 8/14: Blanton's

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I may try everything under the sun, but Blantons is like a warm blanket. I always come back to it and it always treats me right.

Gonna be a hater and say there are so many values out there for $50 that Blandtons is basically never a choice for me. If I were fault BT for doing anything along the lines of making anything to specifically please the 50+ crowd with a 'smooth and easy' product, Blanton's it is. Screw honoring some dead guy or appealing to anything with the bottle and silly velvet bag, you're making a $25 bourbon and selling it for double.

I'm just glad I have some aged stated Blandtons on the bar that I don't feel abused to drink: AAA 10 year.

Ahhh, that feels better. :D

Blanton's was also my gateway into bourbon.

A friend who at the time knew way more than I did about whiskey and whisky poured us a glass of Blanton's back in the mid-2000s. I remember being impressed by how light and subtle the taste was. It poured in like water, and great taste bloomed out of it from there. I'm not sure that's how I'd describe it today, but that's how I remember describing the experience then.

Later, I went through a period where my body didn't tolerate Blanton's very well. I felt it gave me heartburn, and a nasty hangover. I'm not sure what the problem was in this period, but the lesson is that our body changes and goes through phases, and what is undrinkable now may be again wonderful later, and vice versa. None of this is the bourbon's fault, of course.

Mostly because of that period, I haven't hit the Blanton's for a long while. But just last week I bought a Blanton's Gold while overseas, and I have to say - this bourbon is delicious. My friends and I sipped it and sipped it. Everything in balance. Like ETL on steroids. Next time I go back I'm going for the barrel strength.

I'm back working at sea now, but the experience with the Gold has motivated me to go for another bottle of regular Blanton's and re-visit when I get back to Texas.

tbt

Last August it disappeared from Austin shelves for many months. The first bottle that reappeared I bought and was disappointed with in comparison to some I had at a near 5-star hotel in Dallas a few months before I started searching for a bottle. There is some preference given by distributors for known great barrels. I have no proof of this other than known rare items only being allocated for certain restaurants and bars.

I'm not going to buy a bottle again in the near future, but will be staying at the same hotel this weekend and paying $14 for a pour.

Blanton's used to be Mrs. F's "birthday bourbon" but she has migrated towards Booker's in recent years. Poured some Blanton's last night and was reminded that the rich, creamy mouth feel was one of the attributes that attracted us in the first place.

I had a nice pour of Blanton's when I got home from work today. Dammmmn it's good! This was my birthday bottle, and I'm trying really hard to make it last a while longer. I might have to see about getting another bottle when this one goes to the (really) big blue bin. I don't often pay over $50 for something, but I might have to go ahead and bite the bullet as far as Blanton's is concerned. One local place that has a good selection and reasonable prices, has it on the shelf for $54. If I decide to go ahead and purchase another bottle, I'll probably go there. As I posted in the "What Did You Pass Up" thread a couple of days ago, a store just a few blocks from my house has Blanton's for $65. :rolleyes:

As a little side not here, I don't collect the Blanton's bottle stoppers/caps, but I know that some folks do. My current bottle has an "L" stopper/cap. If anyone's interested, please send me a pm. Before anyone jumps on my case, it's free to a good home, with no strings attached. First come, first served. I've probably finished off around a half a dozen bottles of Blanton's over the last several years, and all my stopper/caps have managed to find their way to members that collect them, and I've asked for nothing in return. Just tryin' to be helpful FWIW.:grin:

Cheers! Joe

The older I get, and the more bourbons I try, the more appreciation I have gained for this whiskey. Truly, an elegant pour. Beautiful nose, with a silkiness over the palate that separates it from most others. I'm not ashamed to admit that I also love the packaging. And yes, I'll pay extra for it, particularly when I feel the whiskey inside is worthy of it. To my tastes, Blanton's does that. Being the same mash bill as ETL, and knowing that I adore ETL, I would still take an offer of Blanton's over it every time. Interestingly, I probably wouldn't have said this a couple of years back. But, the more time that I have spent contemplating it, the more I embrace its greatness. If I were asked to provide a couple of examples of the best that American whiskey has to offer, Blanton's would make that list.

I haven't had any Blanton's in years.

After reading your remarks Joe I think I'll have to gat a bottle.

A question: as I understand it BT does not own the Blanton's brand. Does that mean that BT is not responsible for pricing?

A question: as I understand it BT does not own the Blanton's brand. Does that mean that BT is not responsible for pricing?

Pricing is a separate issue altogether. Some states control prices and decided what will be sold regardless of price. Other states let the market determine what will be sold and at what price. I recently learned through experience that some states heavily influence prices by the level of taxation imposed. (Sure, you can have that bottle of $20 Kirkland Bourbon, but with taxes included it will cost you about $40.)

Ordered a single, neat, regular old Blanton's prior to a concert last night so I could partake in this BOTM. A couple of things stood out: the oak character seems to pleasantly drift from fresh to musty, and vice-versa. It doesn't really stay in one region of wood character and this is pretty interesting. Must be Warehouse H doing its magic. Despite being less sweet given the mashbill, it still retains very decent body and is adequately creamy.

Eminently drinkable at the standard proof but it really could use another an uptick into the 100's... so I'm definitely excited for my SFTB @ 64.5% to arrive.

From a bottle open on the bar for several months, dumped on 9/21/12. Light nose of oak, vanilla and a hint of turpentine. Flavors continue along with the nose: light and smooth oak/vanilla/turpentine with an added hint of orange and honey. Nice long finish. It's has ben a while since I sat with this and I find I am really enjoying this return to an old favorite. I'll add my vote to the list of those requesting a higher proof bottling of Blanton's for the US. I have a store pick bottling that may need to move to the front of the list to be opened.

Always a nice pour! The price used to seem higher in a relative sense but with all of the price increases and overpriced sourced stuff it doesn't seem out of line.

Bottle from the back of the shelf - been there maybe a couple to six months. Dumped 10-19-13. Barrel 182, Warehouse H, Rick 47, Bottle 32, 93 proof. Jockey stopper. Pulled the tab, took off the net (Happy Birthday, Paul - I'm tasting it now). Fragrance of ripe fruit, no acetate from the alcohol blooming. One ounce or so. No change in aroma. First sip no burn. Hint of warm caramel but surprisingly little sugar. Soft fruit but again, no over-ripe flavors or over-sweet tastes. If there is cinnamon, it's so muted I can't pull it out. This is well-balanced. Nothing jumps out to overwhelm.

(Time passes)

Finish has now lasted a couple minutes - still a nice coating in my mouth allowing continued enjoyment without having to replenish - a good thing this late at night.:grin: When I still have to do the dishes.:blush: Better put the bottle back on the shelf or they'll find me in the morning hugging it. Dregs taste - slight bitterness like from a lightly hopped beer; "bitter" meaning like a British ESB, not an IPA hop bomb. It's been a couple years since I've had Blanton's. Why am I not bunkering this?

Something value-related I meant to add in my previous post - I definitely feel this is overpriced by $10-15, at least in my area (runs around $60 now). Even though it's getting less common to see on shelves, it's a very tough sell given competition from OFBB, ECBP, Stagg Jr., etc.

Well, I tried some a week ago. Really liked it, the flavor was fantastic. The whole bottle disappeared so others liked it too! Not too good at describing the nuances of the flavor, but I would recommend it to any friend. At around $50 though, a little too high priced to buy again. Reading up on all the bourbons on this forum creates a long list to try! Cheers!

Reading up on all the bourbons on this forum creates a long list to try.

:lol: Ain't that the truth! And the list just seems to keep on growing!

:toast:

I just opened a bottle of this tonight. Local store selection, bottled December 2013. This is a great, balanced pour! Extremely easy to sip, with lots of vanilla and caramel and nothing unpleasant.

:lol: Ain't that the truth! And the list just seems to keep on growing!

:toast:

One of the first single barrels I ever had. I still have the bottle, #21 from barrel no. 88, dumped on March 13, 2003, warehouse H, Rick No. 20.

I haven't had it since then, but remember liking it and wishing I could afford it regularly. I think I'll try it again next time I see it.

As a Scotch drinker, Blanton's was the first bourbon I tried a few times and just could not get past the sweetness, so the bottle sat for a few months.

Guess its changes in palate but tried it again and loved it, strange stuff this distilled liquid.

As a Scotch drinker, Blanton's was the first bourbon I tried a few times and just could not get past the sweetness, so the bottle sat for a few months.

Guess its changes in palate but tried it again and loved it, strange stuff this distilled liquid.

Interesting that you started out with a higher end bourbon instead of a standard mid-shelf or even bottom shelf where great values are to be found. But, then, perhaps from a Scotch drinker's perspective, the cost of Blanton's is mid-shelf. I know a single malt devotee who won't touch any of the great bourbons because they are so "working class."

I know a single malt devotee who won't touch any of the great bourbons because they are so "working class."

Know a few of those myself.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.