What bottles to pick up in KY that are only available in KY

bjhowell
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wanted to ask the question to the collective. When Im in KY, what bottles are ones to pick up that are really only available in KY. Not talking about Pappy or Stagg, etc. Just regular stuff off the shelf that a person cant really get anywhere else but Kentucky.

HH White Label 6 yr old BIB for sure. Your probably gonna have a few folks agree with this one. EW BIB might be another one to look for. The EW BIB is supposed to be widely available, but I've found it easier to grab a couple when I visit KY.

Always a great question when visiting the Motherland. I don't know where you are from but Larceny is always a great grab as are the previously mentioned HH products. Depending on the area, you might find Very Special Old Forester 12 year. If close to TPS, that is a must stop as is Liquor Barn in Louisville. They have great barrel selections. There also some decent stores in both the Cincinnati and Louisville areas but those are better to share via PM. Enjoy your visit.

Some that I can only get in KY ...

VOB BIB

Old Forester BIB

Old Tub [only available at the Beam Distillery, I love the throwback bottle)

I say anything bonded you can't get by home plus Larceny or Weller. You can look at the Liquor Barn or Party Source web sites to get some other ideas before you go. Even in KY everything isn't available all the time. Happy hunting.

When I visited, I bought a bunch of HH stuff. Also, Kentucky Tavern BiB, Ancient Age 90 pf, and Jim Beam 7 year (which was the most vile bourbon I've ever tasted, so maybe avoid that).

• 2 weeks later...
Always a great question when visiting the Motherland. I don't know where you are from but Larceny is always a great grab as are the previously mentioned HH products. Depending on the area, you might find Very Special Old Forester 12 year. If close to TPS, that is a must stop as is Liquor Barn in Louisville. They have great barrel selections. There also some decent stores in both the Cincinnati and Louisville areas but those are better to share via PM. Enjoy your visit.

Definitely the HH 6-year BiB.....you can't go wrong for $10. Old Ezra Brooks 101 is another that I highly recommend. If you can find it, the Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12-year is outstanding (it was out of stock during my last visit).

Is there a "flagship" Liquor Barn in Louisville?

The Springhurst location is the largest. Tasting bar available there as well.

Is there a "flagship" Liquor Barn in Louisville?

the LBs, at least in louisville, are independently owned, despite the same name and logo. Each one is a bit different, with different barrel selections, different offerings, and different pricing. I tend to find the one in St Matthews on Shelbyville rd to have the best offerings, availability, and prices, though if I want Dickel 9 year, the LB on Hurstbourne is the only one to carry it in louisville. the LB at Springhurst is called a TPS as well, though again, that name doesnt imply coownership with the TPS in Northern KY. The LB on hursbourne no longer carries HH6BIB....period, yet the one in St Matthews has the shelf full of the new labeled 6 years. Each has a private selection of Mckenna BIB, but the selection and the price are different at several of them. So, be prepared.....if you dont see something at one of them, dont assume that they are all the same.

also, in KY, it is common for pharmacies like Riteaid or CVS to have a moderate liquor selection, so dont hesitate to stop in those as well. Ive found great deals in them when they close things out and put them half price..

HH White Label 6 yr old BIB for sure. Your probably gonna have a few folks agree with this one. EW BIB might be another one to look for. The EW BIB is supposed to be widely available, but I've found it easier to grab a couple when I visit KY.

EW BIB seems to be expanding its distribution. I see it regularly in Myrtle Beach and it has recently shown up here in Ohio!

Thomas

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread - are there any private barrels, or stores that pick barrels especially well, that are worth visiting in addition to these brands? I'll be passing through KY in March and am trying to maximize the visit.

Liquor Barns in Louisville and Lexington.  The Party Source in Belleview (metro Cincy), are huge stores with multiple private selection opportunities.  If you're traveling to other areas, specify where and we may be able to offer a few other local shops that generally have a pick or two on hand.  

* some of which may only be disclosed by PM...;)

I'm passing through coming from Houston by way of Memphis heading east exiting into WV on my way back to the Ocean State. Bit of a speed run so I don't have time to meander and stop by the usual 10-15 stores searching for random bottles for a day or two. Any hints, or suggestions, are greatly welcomed.

Well, your minutes from several distillery gift shops on the BG Parkway, then your next best option is going to be one of the big box Liquor Barn's in Lexington.  I'd go with the one at Beaumont Centre, as it will only be 5 minutes (or less) off of your GPS's route. 

• 4 weeks later...

Believe it or not JWDant is available in Maine so I can pick it up regularly there when I need to restock the Bondage portfolio with less common ones. Is Very Old Barton BiB still available in Kentucky or has it been really and truly discontinued?

1 hour ago, WhiskyRI said:

Believe it or not JWDant is available in Maine so I can pick it up regularly there when I need to restock the Bondage portfolio with less common ones. Is Very Old Barton BiB still available in Kentucky or has it been really and truly discontinued?

It's here, just not age stated anymore.

3 hours ago, WhiskyRI said:

Believe it or not JWDant is available in Maine so I can pick it up regularly there when I need to restock the Bondage portfolio with less common ones.

I really hope that's a typo. Either that or Maine has some dirty under belly that I just want aware of. 

Edited by b1gcountry

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.