What bottles to pick up in KY that are only available in KY

bjhowell
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not a typo. JWDant is definitely available - not sure for how much longer. But as of right now you can walk into Freeport and buy a bottle or three of it.

There were some engraved bottles at Beam that were labeled custom bottles that weren't picked up. Shouldn't be any more of those.

There were supposedly some "pint" bottles at Makers allegedly only available in Kentucky according to the tour guide but they acted like they had never heard of them in the gift shop 50' from the tasting room where she told us. 

• 2 years later...

My wife and I will be headed to Kentucky next month.  We've booked tours at Beam, Woodford, Wild Turkey, and Heaven Hill.  From this thread it looks like I might be stopping by a Liquor Barn.  Any new items to look for?  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Early Times bib was readily found several places this weekend.  Party Mart (Brownsboro Rd & I-264) had a number of store picks including a 1792FP, Total Wine (Brownsboro Rd & I-265) is worth a stop before LB (at Springhurst, one exit south) to possibly save a few $$ on most. 

On 6/26/2018 at 4:39 PM, PowderKeg said:

Early Times bib was readily found several places this weekend.  Party Mart (Brownsboro Rd & I-264) had a number of store picks including a 1792FP, Total Wine (Brownsboro Rd & I-265) is worth a stop before LB (at Springhurst, one exit south) to possibly save a few $$ on most. 

Thanks for the tip.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if the Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond 6 yr(white label) is still being sold in stores in KY?  None of the Liquor Barns that I've called have it anymore.

9 hours ago, briankeith513 said:

Anyone know if the Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond 6 yr(white label) is still being sold in stores in KY?  None of the Liquor Barns that I've called have it anymore.

Yes, I still see it in multiple shops around the commonwealth.  Liquor Barn is Kentucky’s version of Disney, so they tend to run through it pretty quickly...

On 8/3/2018 at 7:36 PM, Paddy said:

Yes, I still see it in multiple shops around the commonwealth.  Liquor Barn is Kentucky’s version of Disney, so they tend to run through it pretty quickly...

Ok, thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 1:27 PM, MissourMan said:

My wife and I will be headed to Kentucky next month.  We've booked tours at Beam, Woodford, Wild Turkey, and Heaven Hill.  From this thread it looks like I might be stopping by a Liquor Barn.  Any new items to look for?  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Get a bottle of Old Tub at Beam. They're near the cash register and only available only available at Beam American Stillhouse, in Clermont. It's BIB and sold in 375 ml bottles. I think I paid around $18.00 for it. It's very good

On 8/23/2018 at 2:15 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Get a bottle of Old Tub at Beam. They're near the cash register and only available only available at Beam American Stillhouse, in Clermont. It's BIB and sold in 375 ml bottles. I think I paid around $18.00 for it. It's very good

FYI, Total Wine in Louisville has had it every time I've been in the past couple years, think @ $16 for 375ml.  Been tempted but never pulled the plug (arms were always full of other stuff anyway).  May have to grab one on the next pilgrimage in Sept.

Edited by PowderKeg
  • I like it 1

• 11 months later...

Hello, first time posting here. I'm travelling from IN through KY this weekend. Are the bottle picks for KY exclusive bottles (or not available in IN) here still correct? What I'm looking for based on this is:

Heaven Hill 6yr BiB

VOB BiB

AAA10yr

JTS Brown BiB

Anything else? I'm planning to stop at a Liquor Barn probably either in Bowling Green or Elizabethtown. Mostly because they are pretty much right of I-65. If there's another spot I should consider, let me know. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Evan

PS: Bottles I currently enjoy are Basil Hayden, Eagle Rare, 4RSiB, Woodford, and Bulleit Rye. Not a fan of the wheated bourbons I've tried to this point.

Edited by evanbio

Sadly, the HH 6 BIB was discontinued and isn’t available anymore.

Biba! Joe

the AAA 10yr is long gone as well. 

Liquor Barn has a bourbon called Flatboat that they've private labeled from Barton. It's decent but nothing to brag too much about. 90 proof and low $20 range.

Edited by Vosgar

Also VOB BIB was changed to "crafted".  VOB and JTS Brown are available in the Indy area, if you know where to look.

If I was in KY, I would look for Old Forester Rye, and Old Ezra Barrel Proof.

Any of the bottled in bond brands you're not used to seeing, yes those too.

If you like beer, KY gets some different beers we don't.

I'm not talking about oh so precious crafty stuff.

If they have it, I would grab: Ballentine Ale, Gennesee Cream Ale or Bock, and others. 

19 hours ago, PaulO said:

Also VOB BIB was changed to "crafted".  VOB and JTS Brown are available in the Indy area, if you know where to look.

If I was in KY, I would look for Old Forester Rye, and Old Ezra Barrel Proof.

Any of the bottled in bond brands you're not used to seeing, yes those too.

If you like beer, KY gets some different beers we don't.

I'm not talking about oh so precious crafty stuff.

If they have it, I would grab: Ballentine Ale, Gennesee Cream Ale or Bock, and others. 

I'll keep the beer in mind as well. I do greatly enjoy the KY Bourbon Barrel beers, so perhaps I'll find a unique version of that as well. I need to explore stores in my area a bit more anyway, as I typically only check out the Kroger selection (which is at least decent). I'll try to report back with whatever I do end up with. Thanks for the updates.

I also thought of Heaven Hill 6 year old 90 proof (green label).  Happy hunting.

So, I almost had a fatal error. I thought the stores would all be open at noon on Sunday, but Louisville and Elizabethtown didn't open until 1. Thankfully, I was close enough that I took a quick lunch stop and got in right away at a location just south of Louisville.

This LB was...not what I expected. I had stopped at one in Lexington years ago, and was very pleased. The selection here appeared to be pretty much on par with what I could find at Kroger, and a lot of selections were emptied on the shelf. I found nothing that was on my list, though to be fair my list apparently was outdated. They did have HH6yr, but only in a large plastic bottle that I didn't really want to pick up. I finally walked around and came to a small display area that had a couple bottles of Jim Beam Bonded. A quick search on Distiller showed it rated at a 90, so I picked it up at ~$23. I'm not very familiar with standard Beam, but will be sure to post my thoughts after I've sampled it a few times. Thanks for all the input here.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.