About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In 15 years I bet it will be sitting on shelves again, though probably never again the way it used to.

What frustrated me last year was the employees at one store told me what they had in but that the store manager determined who got it. They told me one bottle that hadn't been spoken for was VWFRR, which is the one that I wanted. However, the store manager wouldn't sell it to me. I am sure he offered it to someone who hadn't requested it. No big deal, just wanted an opportunity that I didn't get.

Thanks Griff.

I don't really go out and activly search for Pappy any more. If I happen to luck into some, fine. I usually won't turn it down if the price is right. The last couple of years, the only thing that really interests me is the ORVW 10/107 anyway. As luck would have it, I've been able to grab a few of those at the suggested retail price, so no complaints here. I'm happy.

I agree with you on the Old Rip Van Winkle, but do I need to remind you that

I guess some folks didn't get the intended meaning of my previous post. This thread is about All Things Pappy! ….. Let's get back on track, and watch the thread drift here and in other threads/forums please. It would be much appreciated.

Joe

Sorry, I couldn't resist.:Clever::grin:

The interesting/sad thing is that when the BT plant was rebranded as BT in the mid aughts (discussed in the BT Documentary- the UK library has the complete transcript and more as well) the first thing that was done was to remove the barbwire fence around the plant. This added great aesthetic value, but they didn't consider that a few years later some of their finished products would command such high prices on the grey and black market. If the fence was still around, it is likely that the robbery could have been avoided (unless it was an inside job of course).

I personally wouldn't be surprised if most of the juice went to New York and Vegas joints.

The interesting/sad thing is that when the BT plant was rebranded as BT in the mid aughts (discussed in the BT Documentary- the UK library has the complete transcript and more as well) the first thing that was done was to remove the barbwire fence around the plant. This added great aesthetic value, but they didn't consider that a few years later some of their finished products would command such high prices on the grey and black market. If the fence was still around, it is likely that the robbery could have been avoided (unless it was an inside job of course).

I personally wouldn't be surprised if most of the juice went to New York and Vegas joints.

Based on a recent tour the consensus at BT is this was an inside job. Where the product was taken from required access through two locks neither showed signs of tampering. The bottles/cases taken were from the middle of pallets of boxes with the outer shrink wrap in disturbed meaning it took time to get the bottles/cases and get away.

Again this was information from Carey a tour guide at BT.

Thank you for the clarification! I do recommend checking out the BT doc. It is pretty cool.

For those of you needing a Pappy news fix, here's a link to a Washington Post "Style" section article published online yesterday (Sunday 12 Oct 2014). While the article contains not much new to SB readers, it is a nice summary in anticipation of the next round of releases - just enough to wet our whistles so to speak. Some of the comments are cute, too.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/pappy-van-winkles-aged-bourbon-cant-keep-pace-with-consumer-demand/2014/10/12/76b49ea6-4e5b-11e4-aa5e-7153e466a02d_story.html

For those of you needing a Pappy news fix, here's a link to a Washington Post "Style" section article published online yesterday (Sunday 12 Oct 2014). While the article contains not much new to SB readers, it is a nice summary in anticipation of the next round of releases - just enough to wet our whistles so to speak. Some of the comments are cute, too.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/pappy-van-winkles-aged-bourbon-cant-keep-pace-with-consumer-demand/2014/10/12/76b49ea6-4e5b-11e4-aa5e-7153e466a02d_story.html

Yup, as though they needed fanning. And, at $48 a shot, I'll pass.

As you enjoy your new ill gotten bottle of Pappy 15, know that it is inferior to prior editions. Not only is it 100% BT juice, but in the past it was not chill filtered. What you are tasting now is thinner and much less rich than prior editions.

Sorry folks, they really don't make them like they used to!

I think everyone should spread this around to the dampen the out of control fervor for Pappy. Then maybe I can get some.

;p

Edited by Vadertime

If you just HAVE to try some and you are near DC here is your chance.

WP: Spend an evening with Pappy Van Winkle at Bourbon in Glover Park

"An Evening With Pappy" will take place Thursday, Oct. 30, at Bourbon in Glover Park, beginning at 7 p.m. Owner Bill Thomas says that they'll have all five of the current Van Winkle bourbons. "We haven't gotten our allocation [of the 2014 Van Winkle] yet, but we should have by that point," he says. If not they'll offer the 2013 versions for instead.

As for prices, Bourbon general manager Jared Hyman says the current Pappys will be discounted by around $20 per ounce: Expect to pay $30 per ounce for the 23-year-old and 20-year-old and $25 per ounce for the 15-year-old. The 12-year-old Van Winkle Special Reserve will cost $15 per ounce, and the 10-year-old Old Rip Van Winkle will be $13 per ounce.

If you just HAVE to try some and you are near DC here is your chance.

WP: Spend an evening with Pappy Van Winkle at Bourbon in Glover Park

Yeah, I saw that. "No reservations." Want a taste? The line should move faster because I won't be in it. I must say, though, I applaud 'Bourbon' for giving people a chance at a taste of the 2014 release (if it arrives in time) or the 2013 release (if it doesn't). A purveyor I frequent and I were talking over alternatives. At $30 an ounce, one 750 ml bottle of the 23 yr. @ 25+ oz. per bottle is $750 per bottle. That'd be 18 bottles of 4RSB or 13 bottles of Blanton's or 37 bottles of OGD 100. It's also a couple year's worth of BTAC which, as I understand, is where the current PVW releases come from (that is, from BT). The VWs are certainly good pickers/blenders, but I've found a few alternatives that'll keep me happy. If any of you go, I'll read your tasting notes, but I won't be there.

The VWs are certainly good pickers/blenders, but I've found a few alternatives that'll keep me happy.

Are they? Regarding current Pappy outlay I mean. Both Julian and Preston have responded to that point in interviews saying "if we happen to be away at the time" then BT employees do the selecting and blending. Guess the brand ambassador role is very demanding of their time and their commitment is commendable.

As is yours Harry for making room in the line.

I think the opportunity to taste the older S-W bottlings they'll have out is pretty neat. Remarking that it is neat is, unfortunately, all the enthusiasm I can muster for the event though. Count me in Harry's camp. Someday I'll check PVW 15 off of my list of bourbons I would like to try a glass of.

Check out the latest news article, brought to us by Joe

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/10/14/3480437_missing-rare-pappy-van-winkle.html?sp=/99/101/1354/&rh=1

I wouldn't have re-linked this, but one line caught my attention:

"Eventually, Van Winkle told the Herald-Leader, he expects to have 10,000 to 15,000 cases to release every year. But that won't help you much now."

I remember distinctly six months ago Julian in interviews quipping that he wasn't going to increase his holdings beyond a small inflationary amount year over year. He made a joke along the lines of he puts hundreds of barrels away, then they legalize marijuana, and he's got a ton of whiskey on his hands that nobody cares about anymore.

The above statement is the first time I've read it numerically expressed (if it's true) that he is increasing allocations for the VW brand. The current standard has been estimated at 7000 3-cases. Sounds like he's taken steps to double that in the long run.

Good news for some of us - I hope to be around when today's whiskey turns 23. And if he's just selected more of the currently available W12, or, if he's the reason we've had such small (and young) William Larue Weller numbers in recent years, we might see some improvements in availability a few years from now - particularly if we get the bourbon craze cool off that we're likely due for #peakbourbon

Are they? Regarding current Pappy outlay I mean. Both Julian and Preston have responded to that point in interviews saying "if we happen to be away at the time" then BT employees do the selecting and blending. Guess the brand ambassador role is very demanding of their time and their commitment is commendable.

As is yours Harry for making room in the line.

haha - as much as I share the discontent with the present mania, I also do look forward to the day when the VW products return to the shelf at MSRP. At least for a week or two. That's all I need. That statement I read today is for me the first glimmer of hope :)

haha - as much as I share the discontent with the present mania, I also do look forward to the day when the VW products return to the shelf at MSRP. At least for a week or two. That's all I need. That statement I read today is for me the first glimmer of hope :)

You may need to wait a bit longer. Passed on a PVW 15 today at $689.99. Retail.

I got the two things I need, Sutton. Time, and a bunker ;)

Agree, Vadertime. Run those stills in the red!!!

good news is I'm old enough to have tried all the PVW's, repeatedly and as much as I wanted, when nobody knew what they were because OMG they were $40 or more per 750 and only dummies like me would pay that much for a bottle of bourbon.

You paid $40.00? Musta been shopping at Schneider's. I thought they were grossly overpriced when they hit $29.95.

You paid $40.00? Musta been shopping at Schneider's. I thought they were grossly overpriced when they hit $29.95.

Yes, I also had to add something to offset the woodiness. We once had words on this Board regarding that very subject. Tim S. stoutly maintained Pappy 23 should be mixed with store brand diet cola whereas I resolutely held out for diet ginger ale.

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.