About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

39 minutes ago, flahute said:

Barrel aged maple syrup can actually be quite nice.

Trader Joe's has a House brand maple syrup aged in bourbon barrels that we've been buying for years.  Had some on Sunday AM on blueberry pancakes.  The slight char note helps cut the pure sugar note that sometimes overwhelms the tongue.

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Barrel aged maple syrup can actually be quite nice.

Mad River Distillery in Waitsfield, Vermont has a bourbon that was finished in a L&K Blanton's barrel /Al's Pancake Syrup - the syrup entered when it was still HOT!  Then, when they took all of the maple syrup out for bottling, they put their bourbon in the L&K Blanton's barrel  to finish it.  Yummy to the tummy.  ?

20200127_193247.jpg

The bourbon goes great over pancakes or dry shredded wheat first thing in the morning with a hot cup 'o Joe (black of course).  "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!"  ?

Edited by GeeTen

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Mad River Distillery in Waitsfield, Vermont has a bourbon that was finished in a L&K Blanton's barrel /Al's Pancake Syrup - the syrup entered when it was still HOT!  Then, when they took all of the maple syrup out for bottling, they put their bourbon in the L&K Blanton's barrel  to finish it.  Yummy to the tummy.  ?

20200127_193247.jpg

The bourbon goes great over pancakes or dry shredded wheat first thing in the morning with a hot cup 'o Joe (black of course).  "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!"  ?

That sounds fantastic.

Not sure if this back on topic but...?

Tried VW 12yr. last night for the first time. Not sure if it’s the fact that I’m getting over a sinus cold or my palate is broken, but I honestly preferred OWA to it. Was definitely nice and delicious and a solid wheater but just left me wanting, especially on the finish.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

10 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Not sure if this back on topic but...?

Tried VW 12yr. last night for the first time.

Am I missing something?

I’m sorry sir, you are in the maple syrup thread. 

And assuming  you were tasting a new/recent bottling I don’t think you were missing anything. Sure the receding head cold could affect your palate. But in general I pass on newer Lot B in favor of Rip 10 if lucky enough to have that choice. 

I've said before on here that I don’t get Lot B’s existence in the current Weller/VW lineup. It’s twice as expensive as W12 and not twice as good IMO. It’s more consistent (W12 can be batch dependent) but I am not a buyer these days. They need to do something to differentiate the two. Maybe a proof bump to 107 for Lot B?  

• I like it 2

58 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

And assuming  you were tasting a new/recent bottling I don’t think you were missing anything. Sure the receding head cold could affect your palate. But in general I pass on newer Lot B in favor of Rip 10 if lucky enough to have that choice. 

I've said before on here that I don’t get Lot B’s existence in the current Weller/VW lineup. It’s twice as expensive as W12 and not twice as good IMO. It’s more consistent (W12 can be batch dependent) but I am not a buyer these days. They need to do something to differentiate the two. Maybe a proof bump to 107 for Lot B?  

Thanks for the clarification. Regarding the maple syrup, I haven’t had the pleasure of getting my hands on any yet but I’ve only heard rave reviews. 

At this point, may be more excited for a dram of the syrup than the actual bourbon lol.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Old Dusty said:

Listen, we’re trying to step up our game to be more inclusive, tolerant, diverse, and collaborative, and you go all cranky old guy on us...  ?

Not to detract from the maple syrup discussion, but I was surprised to hear him say that a barrel that is so off that it won't be used for Van Winkle or Weller would go in Benchmark or Ancient Age. This implies that, at least for the bottom shelf products, they aren't really a strict mash bill, but potentially a mix of BT's three different bourbon mash bills. I guess it isn't shocking that quality control on bottom shelf products is different, but people generally talk about AA as a mash bill #2 product and Benchmark as a mash bill #1 product. However, this does jibe with reports of BT#2 Eagle Rare and BT#1 Blanton's that people on this board have reported.

• 11 months later...

I apologize in advance if this is beating a dead horse but I have a VW Lot B that does not have a spray # on the bottle. Nor is there a year imprinted in the bottom of the bottle. The only info is on the front label, the code: 04.6094.01 

I own a PVW 20 year from 2009 and my guess is that I bought them at the same time. How else can i determine which release of the Lot B, I own?

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter. 

Sometimes a bottles laser code can get hidden by the label. I’ve seen labels on the VWFR Rye where the adhesive was bad, and they had to be placed back on the bottles and glued by hand. I’ve also seen  some labels that appeared crooked or offset.

• I like it 1

Sometimes the engraving device goes a little haywire too.

I have a Lot B from a few years back that just has a squiggly mess where it tried to put the date code. Looks like it tried to do it twice as the bottle was moving slowly.

The other 2 bottles in the case were the same way.

• I like it 1

On 1/28/2020 at 7:22 AM, PhantomLamb said:

Tried VW 12yr. last night for the first time. Not sure if it’s the fact that I’m getting over a sinus cold or my palate is broken, but I honestly preferred OWA to it. Was definitely nice and delicious and a solid wheater but just left me wanting, especially on the finish.

Am I missing something?

On 1/2/2021 at 11:57 AM, 0895 said:

I have a Lot B from a few years back that just has a squiggly mess where it tried to put the date code. Looks like it tried to do it twice as the bottle was moving slowly.

The other 2 bottles in the case were the same way.

Nope, I would agree on Lot B.  I am not certain it is anything significantly better than regular W12.  It is up to $99 SRP and I honestly do not think it is worth the price of admission.  I have been passing in favor of Old Rip when offered the option the past few years.  IMO Lot B is the one bottle in the lineup that just does not punch at its weight.  My suggestion is to scrap it and replace with a new 100 proof Van Winkle single barrel (Weller Centennial revived) offering.  Maybe even make it BiB.  

I also had a Lot B where the code was a bunch of squiggly lines that looked like Sanskrit or hieroglyphics.   

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.