About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, Hrchokie said:

Any reason not to trade 2 Blantons for a half full bottle of 20 yr PVW? A friend offered and I've never had it.

Considering a pour at a bar from their half-full bottle would cost you about the same as (or even more than) two bottles of Blanton's, I'd say this is a no-brainer.  Plus, it's easier to get two Blanton's replacements than ever finding a PVW20.  If it were 1/3 full, I may tread more carefully, as I think that's when air REALLY starts to influence a whiskey.

Edited by dcbt

10 hours ago, Hrchokie said:

Any reason not to trade 2 Blantons for a half full bottle of 20 yr PVW? A friend offered and I've never had it.

SB isn't really the place to solicit advice about structuring a trade, the value of a trade or trading in general.  

2 hours ago, jvd99 said:

SB isn't really the place to solicit advice about structuring a trade, the value of a trade or trading in general.  

Already done. Just wondering if it made sense. Sorry to offend

8 hours ago, Hrchokie said:

Already done. Just wondering if it made sense. Sorry to offend

I don't think you offended anyone, just a reminder

Hello! Very new here- and not much of a bourbon drinker myself-- however, I am trying to located a nice bourbon for my fiance and his groomsmen for our wedding day. Forgive me if this is totally foolish, but are there any well-known places to purchase Pappy (not really set on a specific year), if you are willing to pay a premium? I'd like to stay under $500 and would like to avoid any shady business- so a genuine retail place/auction site/etc-- something legal. Any advice welcome- even telling me I am off my rocker :) I am in Kentucky, by the way!

Thanks!!

9 minutes ago, Christy6405 said:

Hello! Very new here- and not much of a bourbon drinker myself-- however, I am trying to located a nice bourbon for my fiance and his groomsmen for our wedding day. Forgive me if this is totally foolish, but are there any well-known places to purchase Pappy (not really set on a specific year), if you are willing to pay a premium? I'd like to stay under $500 and would like to avoid any shady business- so a genuine retail place/auction site/etc-- something legal. Any advice welcome- even telling me I am off my rocker :) I am in Kentucky, by the way!

Thanks!!

Congrats on your impending marriage. Pappy of any kind is really hard to come by anywhere. I wish you luck on finding a bottle. I hate to say this, but If I were you, I'd look for an alternative.

Joe

1 hour ago, Christy6405 said:

Thanks!!

Joe is probably right.  I've been in every store in E'town, some in Bullitt County and a few in Louisville and I have yet to see a bottle of Pappy, at any price.  There are other very nice bottles out there that would be very impressive.  Congrats on your impending nuptials.  Take a look at

Jim Beam Distillers Masterpiece

Wild Turkey Diamond Edition

There are others that are really nice.  Take a trip to the store and talk to some people.

Of the bottle is going to show up in pictures, it's hard to beat blanton's. Another tack is to go with a brand that is going away, like SAOS, and then they can look back and say "they don't make it like that any more"

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Another possibility is to plan an early morning trip to Willett and pick up a bottle of WFE.  I say early because if you don't get there when the doors open, whatever WFE they have that day will be gone in 30 minutes.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:55 AM, jvd99 said:

Are trades against the rules?  I didn't see that anywhere.  My reading comprehension isn't so great sometimes. I know everyone frowns on, "Huh, huh.  I got this bottle [insert crotch shot here] is it any good/worth the money/whats it worth/I'm not going to open it and form my own opinion so suck it this is for selling because I really need that extra 100 bucks in my life."

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, CardsandBourbon said:

Take a trip to the store and talk to some people.

I feel like you can't trust the average store anymore to recommend anything in a premium price range.  My relatives get fooled buying me gifts all the time and wind up with some craft garbage or worse.  "Oh you're looking for Pappy for your husband?  Have this JEP 16yr Rye or Angel's Envy Cask Strength (actually I might be okay with getting one of these as a gift) or Lock Stock and whatever at a cost of too much money so you know its good!"

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:32 AM, Kyjd75 said:

Another possibility is to plan an early morning trip to Willett and pick up a bottle of WFE.  I say early because if you don't get there when the doors open, whatever WFE they have that day will be gone in 30 minutes.

Showing up early doesn't even work anymore.  As I understand it, they put the bottles out as they come off the line.. it could be at any time during the day and its definitely not everyday!  The last one I got was put out at 1300 on a Thursday and gone by the next AM.  Additionally there seems to be a text and facebook network of mules constantly watching and as soon as release hits they hit up the elementary school style phone tree and everyone knows!

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:06 PM, Christy6405 said:

Thanks!!

Hello and welcome!  Unfortunately Pappy Van Winkle 15yr from a reputable source if they have it at this time in the year is selling it for much more than retail and typically more than the "shady" secondary value (or people would just buy from the reputable source instead of shady sources).  Some of the other Van Winkle products such as Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr or Van Winkle Special Reserve 12yr 'Lot b' can be found from "reputable" sources for under 500, but honestly I can't think of any off the top of my head that I've seen lately.  Try a google search for US based spirits auctions or even something like winesearcher to find retailers that gouged the prices and still have some sitting around.

What bourbons does your fiancé enjoy or drink regularly?  Usually the everyday drinker bottles have some sort of premium upgrade that can make for a nice splurge every once in a while even if most people on this forum wouldn't consider them worth the money.  If he drinks woodford reserve, maybe he would like the double oaked, gift shop only double double oaked, a store pick barrel of a woodford product, or the Woodford Reserve Master’s collection.  If he drinks Jim Beam, then maybe he would like a bottle of Booker's, or the Distiller's Masterpiece mentioned above.  He likes WT101, try a Russell's Reserve or one of their special editions, Diamond, Masters Keep 17, Masters Keep Decades.  His bourbon nerd level will also help determine what would make a good gift.  If you're willing to do legal auctions maybe a vintage or "dusty" bourbon would be a good gift.  I can think of some great ones you can get for under $500 that I would love to taste, but would never buy for myself.  But its probably not worth your money if he isn't a nerd that understands dusties.

Also store pick's (bourbon barrels picked by the store selling them and typically bottled as a Single Barrel offering) are typically much better than the standard offerings.

11 minutes ago, namadio said:

Are trades against the rules?  I didn't see that anywhere.  My reading comprehension isn't so great sometimes. I know everyone frowns on, "Huh, huh.  I got this bottle [insert crotch shot here] is it any good/worth the money/whats it worth/I'm not going to open it and form my own opinion so suck it this is for selling because I really need that extra 100 bucks in my life."

I feel like you can't trust the average store anymore to recommend anything in a premium price range.  My relatives get fooled buying me gifts all the time and wind up with some craft garbage or worse.  "Oh you're looking for Pappy for your husband?  Have this JEP 16yr Rye or Angel's Envy Cask Strength (actually I might be okay with getting one of these as a gift) or Lock Stock and whatever at a cost of too much money so you know its good!"

Showing up early doesn't even work anymore.  As I understand it, they put the bottles out as they come off the line.. it could be at any time during the day and its definitely not everyday!  The last one I got was put out at 1300 on a Thursday and gone by the next AM.  Additionally there seems to be a text and facebook network of mules constantly watching and as soon as release hits they hit up the elementary school style phone tree and everyone knows!

Hello and welcome!  Unfortunately Pappy Van Winkle 15yr from a reputable source if they have it at this time in the year is selling it for much more than retail and typically more than the "shady" secondary value (or people would just buy from the reputable source instead of shady sources).  Some of the other Van Winkle products such as Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr or Van Winkle Special Reserve 12yr 'Lot b' can be found from "reputable" sources for under 500, but honestly I can't think of any off the top of my head that I've seen lately.  Try a google search for US based spirits auctions or even something like winesearcher to find retailers that gouged the prices and still have some sitting around.

What bourbons does your fiancé enjoy or drink regularly?  Usually the everyday drinker bottles have some sort of premium upgrade that can make for a nice splurge every once in a while even if most people on this forum wouldn't consider them worth the money.  If he drinks woodford reserve, maybe he would like the double oaked, gift shop only double double oaked, a store pick barrel of a woodford product, or the Woodford Reserve Master’s collection.  If he drinks Jim Beam, then maybe he would like a bottle of Booker's, or the Distiller's Masterpiece mentioned above.  He likes WT101, try a Russell's Reserve or one of their special editions, Diamond, Masters Keep 17, Masters Keep Decades.  His bourbon nerd level will also help determine what would make a good gift.  If you're willing to do legal auctions maybe a vintage or "dusty" bourbon would be a good gift.  I can think of some great ones you can get for under $500 that I would love to taste, but would never buy for myself.  But its probably not worth your money if he isn't a nerd that understands dusties.

Also store pick's (bourbon barrels picked by the store selling them and typically bottled as a Single Barrel offering) are typically much better than the standard offerings.

I guess I should have been a little more clear in my suggestion of visiting a store.  Visit a store where you know the owner and you trust them to steer you in the right direction.  If you don't know someone talk to some of his buddies that are bourbon drinkers and they can probably help you.

6 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I guess I should have been a little more clear in my suggestion of visiting a store.  Visit a store where you know the owner and you trust them to steer you in the right direction.  If you don't know someone talk to some of his buddies that are bourbon drinkers and they can probably help you.

Yeah that's key.  My list of trusted store employees is like... 1 maybe 2 total from all the stores in my area. 

Just now, namadio said:

Yeah that's key.  My list of trusted store employees is like... 1 maybe 2 total from all the stores in my area. 

Mine's probably even smaller, the guys at P & M in E'town and . . . uh, that's about it.

6 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

$35 for a 2oz pour of Lot B.  I think that's pretty fair-should I pull the trigger?

No. Get Weller 12 for $20. 

54 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

$35 for a 2oz pour of Lot B.  I think that's pretty fair-should I pull the trigger?

I'm not a fan of Lot B, however if you have not had it I say scratch the itch.

7 hours ago, namadio said:

It's clearly been said many times.  If you must, do it privately, and don't solicit on the site. 

TV shows not making it any easier....just spotted this the other night....sadly, many people might think its a true going rate. (from The Catch on ABC)

Though, looking at the top, looks like maybe the prop department made/filled their own bottle and resealed it.

The Catch - Pappy 20.png

pappy top.png

Edited by apspeedbump

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Perhaps this has already been discussed but if so I didn't see it.

So what is wrong with this picture?

5a0df0965770c_Pappyredwrongtop.jpg.e8faeb3099c9272099ade6d20fa7b3d2.jpg

Hmm...

As your link notes they apparently had a major SNAFU and all 15yo bottles inadvertently went out with the red foil cap typically used for the 20yo and nobody noticed until they hit distribution. Oops.

^^^^^^I don't guess you could make that sH!& up!  :lol:

Of all the things they could screw up on... the most highly anticipated release of the year! 

Really?  :wacko:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.