About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It could have been done on purpose........... Nothing like a little free publicity, people going crazy trying to find a red label 15y Pappy to put in the bunker.....  Just saying.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, LCWoody said:

It could have been done on purpose........... Nothing like a little free publicity, people going crazy trying to find a red label 15y Pappy to put in the bunker.....  Just saying.

True. Sazerac and the Van Winkles definitely are in need of some help to pump up the popularity of their struggling brand to make it something people will want to seek out by using an "inverted Jenny" scheme... ;)

• I like it 1

As has been said, my understanding is that all the Pappy 15 has red foil.  I kind of like it!  It would be cool if they changed the color every year as an easy way to differentiate vintages.  Black is pre '16 and earlier, Red is '17, Blue is '18 etc . . .   

True. Sazerac and the Van Winkles definitely are in need of some help to pump up the popularity of their struggling brand to make it something people will want to seek out by using an "inverted Jenny" scheme... [emoji6]

Says the guy with three pappy bottles on the counter.... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

True. Sazerac and the Van Winkles definitely are in need of some help to pump up the popularity of their struggling brand to make it something people will want to seek out by using an "inverted Jenny" scheme... ;)

Yea,  I was being a smart ass:rolleyes:

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 2

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:28 AM, LCWoody said:

Yea,  I was being a smart ass:rolleyes:

I guessed as much!

On 11/16/2017 at 3:10 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Perhaps this has already been discussed but if so I didn't see it.

So what is wrong with this picture?

5a0df0965770c_Pappyredwrongtop.jpg.e8faeb3099c9272099ade6d20fa7b3d2.jpg

Hmm...

If the link to the snafu with the foil is accurate then I guess nothing is awry here.  It's interesting that the juice in the red foiled bottle seems a little darker than that in the black foiled bottle though...might just be the lighting...then again maybe not.

• I like it 1

Hi all,  I posted about the Fun Unicorn tasting of Pappy/BTACs held last Saturday at Julio's Liquors in Massachusetts over in the General Bourbon Discussion Forum under "What Bourbon Did You Purchase (Fall 2017)?" thread, in case anybody is interested.  I included a picture of the bottles and some personal notes on the tasting.  FWIW, PVW15, WLW and GTS were my personal favorites.  Enjoy!    :D

Edited by GeeTen

Just got an email from the ABC that the Pappy's will be going in the lottery during December and January.  The first offering will be the 4 bottle Van Winkle collection:

PVW23, PVW15, VWReserve12, ORVW10 for the princely sum of $999.99. Registration is 12/6-10. I'm so there. :P

Edited by DCFan

39 minutes ago, DCFan said:

When they go individually they will be;

23yo - $269.99

15yo - $99.99

12yo - $69.99

10yo - $59.99

Fairly similar pricing here for the most part Tom. Exception being a store I visit received Pappy 20 instead of Pappy 23. Sorry, but I can't remember the exact price on it. Maybe $169.99 or $189.99?

Sláinte! Joe

On 11/29/2017 at 7:47 PM, DCFan said:

When they go individually they will be;

23yo - $269.99 - 23 bottles

15yo - $99.99 - 120 bottles

12yo - $69.99 - 1316 bottles

10yo - $59.99 - 424 bottles

6 sets of the PVW Collection - $999.99

Updated with the bottle totals.

13 hours ago, DCFan said:

Updated with the bottle totals.

So the 4 bottle set has an individual bottle retail of $500 but they are selling for $1000??  

24 minutes ago, Clueby said:

So the 4 bottle set has an individual bottle retail of $500 but they are selling for $1000??  

Yep and they don't even come in a fancy box like the Orphan Barrel Archive or ORVW25 did.  Kind of disheartening that a state monopoly is now (for the first time in VA??) cashing in on secondary market pricing instead of MSRP.

On 11/29/2017 at 8:40 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Fairly similar pricing here for the most part Tom. Exception being a store I visit received Pappy 20 instead of Pappy 23. Sorry, but I can't remember the exact price on it. Maybe $169.99 or $189.99?

Sláinte! Joe

Joe, this one slipped by me. You have a store near you that sells you this stuff for MSRP? What is the owner your brother in law? ;)

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

Joe, this one slipped by me. You have a store near you that sells you this stuff for MSRP? What is the owner your brother in law? ;)

LOL! :lol:  FWIW, they didn't sell me anything 'cause I don't participate in lotteries. :mellow: I was just noting that their prices were similar. I also could have been off on the Pappy 20 price. I have CRS disease. :unsure: I'd say that over all, this place had their Pappy/BTAC stuff priced around $10.00 a bottle over MSRP, which really ain't too bad considering.

Biba! Joe

Glad I bought plenty of PVW back when it was simply popular and not out of control as it is now. 

6 hours ago, redlinerobert said:

Glad I bought plenty of PVW back when it was simply popular and not out of control as it is now. 

How long ago was this?

• 4 weeks later...

Any Justified fans? It was mentioned all over the series, which IMHO was awesome. Now those guys drank whiskey ????!

9 minutes ago, Butch_Coolidge said:

Any Justified fans? It was mentioned all over the series, which IMHO was awesome. Now those guys drank whiskey ????!

I never watched that show but there is a thread on here about bourbon in Movies/TV and I know that one got mentioned a few times.

Great series, and they drink nothing but whiskey. Someone bought a bottle of Pappy for the Deputy Marshal as a birthday present, and referred to it as a $200.00 bottle of whiskey...lol. Rayland Givens who is the lead character was a Jim Beam man. And everyone made and drank Shine.

17 hours ago, Butch_Coolidge said:

I never watched it when it was live but I did get the DVD set a couple of years ago. It was this show that got me started on the bourbon journey that I’m currently on. I was thoroughly intrigued  with PVW and all the other high end bourbons on the series. I jumped in and I’m loving it but I’ve yet to snag a Pappy. ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.