About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My "go-to" store has hooked me up with a lot of the limited release bourbons. But that's not my primary reason for shopping there. My primary reason is that they have a great selection, do some good single barrel picks, and always always charge the state minimum price. And I think the owner is generally a nice guy who appreciates a loyal customer.

^ I really like this attitude. :toast:

I have worked at the store I currently work at since late 2009. I remember years ago stocking the shelves with Old Rip, Lot B and even PVW and it all just sitting there for a long time. And over the years I have seen our allocations of VW/PVW go from what could be called "a lot" back then to a mere couple bottles now (and I'm not even sure we'll get any at all this year). I don't know all the dynamics involved in how the distributors determine allocations. I'm sure It's different between chain and independent accounts here in KY. And most likely it's vastly different from state to state. But keeping in mind that most stores are probably getting a couple bottles max of something that everyone and their mom is looking for you have to ask the question... what are retailers supposed to do with it?

Some stores price gouge. Some stores keep a list. Some stores do a raffle. Some stores put it on the shelf as soon as they get it. Some stores stash it in back and sell it to their "best" customers.

To be brutally honest I would prefer, without a doubt, that we didn't get any of the limited releases. The madness has gotten so out of hand.

:smil41df29a15fb35:

But, I fear we're drifting off topic...

Matt, I think you mean that you wish LE's didn't even exist. Otherwise, even if you didn't get any of them...the calls would still flood in.

As for the hunt for PVW, I'm out. Period. Not worth the trouble. Not worth the price. It's mostly a poseur product these days (with exception of course.) Now that I have access to good private barrel picks my thirst for LE's has been quenched.

Matt, I think you mean that you wish LE's didn't even exist. Otherwise, even if you didn't get any of them...the calls would still flood in.

Ah yes, you're probably right about that. :grin:

I am ok with whatever a store decides to do with their allocation. It is their business to run. I can choose whether or not to support their business and, frankly, it will not be determined by whether or not I get a bottle of PVW or BTAC. Do I appreciate the opportunity to purchase a PVW, BTAC or another limited offering? Of course, I do. But, I also appreciate a nice selection, fair prices and insight into various products.

I settled on only stores that convinced me they actually did lotteries for PVW and BTAC because I felt like I had to switch stores last year and I still wanted at least some small chance of seeing them, and I don't really want to be pestering people about them. I also picked places with good reputations for barrel selections where the proprietors/spirits managers were friendly and interested in building a relationship. I am really enjoying the private barrel selections I have been finding, as much or more than the PVW and BTACs I have had, and certainly given the price points and effort involved. The advice from others on this board to check out store barrel selections has been one of the better tips I have seen recently. One store I visit also said the barrel selections help their allocations, so I'm happy to help with that, too.

That approach, and in particular the lottery approach to PVW/BTAC, is what seems to be working for me, and I think it may work well for stores, too. "When is Pappy/Stagg in?" "We don't know, but we offer it to customers by lottery. Send us your name and email if you want to enter the drawing." "Can't you promise me some Pappy if I buy $20,000 worth of Dalmore today?" "Our allocations are so unpredictable there really isn't a better way to do it."

Anyway, that's where I have ended up.

Surely there are benefits to living in wonderful big cities like NYC and LA, that offset the lesser benefit of getting a bottle of Pappy every year living in the middle of nowhere?

Just a counterpoint. You can't have EVERYTHING, you know :cool:

Surely there are benefits to living in wonderful big cities like NYC and LA, that offset the lesser benefit of getting a bottle of Pappy every year living in the middle of nowhere?

Just a counterpoint. You can't have EVERYTHING, you know :cool:

That is honestly funny. Well, this isn't bourbon country. We don't have everything, or everybody would want to live here, and they most definitely do not want that. I could go for some of that Old Weller Antique I hear you have stacked up to the ceilings in Texas.

Just a counterpoint. You can't have EVERYTHING, you know

Sure you can . . . it'll cost 'ya but you can.

I could go for some of that Old Weller Antique I hear you have stacked up to the ceilings in Texas.

Come on down! The Weller's fine.

Come on down! The Weller's fine.

Aman.............................. I did grow up Pentecostal, so I can get away with that. :lol:

Edited by LCWoody

It's

Officially hit in NC. I was in Blowing Rock and Boone today one store received 3 bottles another 9 and both sold out immediately. Not to me as I was a day late...

It's

Officially hit in NC. I was in Blowing Rock and Boone today one store received 3 bottles another 9 and both sold out immediately. Not to me as I was a day late...

How much time do you think it was available? An hour? A day?

It apparently has been trickling into Maryland over the past couple weeks (I think Delmarva got it first this year). I get the impression that none of it made it to the shelves. I entered another "right to buy" raffle for it. Don't have much of a chance to win, but I also don't care that much. I'd be interested in trying the 15 or the Rye this year to check them off my one time buy list, but that's about it. I can tell you one thing: folks with money have been calling around aggressively looking for them. The store owners I've spoken to about it are getting pretty sick of the rude badgering. I tell 'em to look on the bright side: A number of financial analysts are predicting the commodities markets will crash in 2015. Maybe next year everyone will be too poor to afford their Pappy fix

I try not to call and badger anyone any more in a Pappy quest. I understand that the headache it causes far outweighs the profit the store will make on such a limited number of bottles.

I do get irritated when stores seemingly change their policy for no good reason, (although I suppose it helps out people new to the hunt potentially). The retailer where I scored my bottle of PVW last year, has had me on his list for quite a while, and initially told me he would be able to hook me up with at least one bottle this year. Recently, they seem to be changing their tune to their chains "Points accumulated" system. Well, this location is fairly new, and most of the first year I shopped there, didn't even know about that system. Even now, I have to stop them to make sure they enter my points/card when ringing up my purchases.

I have been shopping almost exclusively at a different, non-chain store for the past several months. Originally, I didn't buy my "standard" pours there, because they were more expensive than the chains, but they have gotten closer in price, and the owner is a nice guy who actually seems to know what he is talking about. not sure I'll be able to get any PVW from him this year, but i feel pretty good about getting at least a bottle or two from the BTAC.

As someone that buys a fair bit of wine, bourbon, scotch, beer and other potent potables, I've developed a lot of relationships with store owners and people in the industry. It's really tough because there are 10 great customers for every bottle of BTAC or Pappy they get. I know that they can't give one to everyone, although they would like to. In general, I'm ok being told, "I'm sorry, it came and went and we weren't given many bottles and you've gotten some in the past." I just don't like lying the "we never got any" or "I'm not sure when it'll come in if at all;" the stores that will put stuff out to be seen but not sell it, "the bottle is for a very special customer" or "the owner is saving that for himself;" or worse, "we're starting a new program where the top buyers get first choice" absolutely no transparency--I'm sure most of the time store owners say this they'll still sell to whoever they want anyway

Shades of Watergate, Travelgate, Contragate, etc. Now, "as good as Pappy" has reached Irish whisky. This week's email from a local store features:

"Pappy Van Winkle of Ireland" Green Spot

Single Pot Still

Irish Whiskey

“Green Spot is to the true Irish whiskey drinker what the Irish Round Tower is to the archaeologist ... Unquestionably one of the world’s great whiskies.”

- Jim Murray, Whisky Bible

We have a pre-Halloween treat for you today, we are very excited to offer a highly allocated whiskey that we have been trying to acquire for over a year. Only a small amount is released every year and we have never received more than a case but we pulled a few strings and we are able to bring you this beautifully crafted whiskey. Enjoy this while it lasts!

I'm a Cooley Distillery fan - Bushmill's is not a favorite. Never had Green Spot. IN SPITE of the hype, what do you think at $60 per 750?

I'm a Cooley Distillery fan - Bushmill's is not a favorite. Never had Green Spot. IN SPITE of the hype, what do you think at $60 per 750?

I have a bottle and it's pretty easy to get at the VA ABC stores. It's ok, but not nearly as good as my go to Irish which is Redbreast Cask Strength.

I have a bottle and it's pretty easy to get at the VA ABC stores. It's ok, but not nearly as good as my go to Irish which is Redbreast Cask Strength.

Ditto. Green Spot hit with a bit of a whimper in my area, and I can easily pick it up for under $50. That said, to me it is just another one of the 80-proof Irish whiskies that abound, and in all honesty, I've been too spoiled by the higher proof stuff (Irish or otherwise) to pay much attention. Specifically Irish though, I am well stocked with Redbreast CS at around $60, and Tullamore Dew Phoenix at under $60, and those are both 110 proof or higher and bring much more to the table IMHO.

Is the Pappy 15 107 going to be broadly available again?

If current trends hold then nothing labeled "Pappy" is going to be "broadly available" unless you happen to have the keys to BT.

But it will likely be similar to the availability last year depending on who you know and/or how much you are willing to spend.

Broadly available if you want to enjoy a pour at the local whiskey bar for $25.

I would love to know what % actually goes to on premise accounts.

Broadly available if you want to enjoy a pour at the local whiskey bar for $25.

I would love to know what % actually goes to on premise accounts.

Good question Eric. A few bars around here started getting Pappy beginning with last years release I believe. I'd never heard of, or seen any in a bar till this past year.

Good question Eric. A few bars around here started getting Pappy beginning with last years release I believe. I'd never heard of, or seen any in a bar till this past year.

In ky, it used to take a fairly discerning bourbon list to include Van winkles. Now most non chain upscale bars have them.

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.