About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm not seeing any crotch shots of the Family Reserve Rye.

Does that come out separately from the rest of the VW line? Just seems odd that there's almost no mention of it.

I'm not seeing any crotch shots of the Family Reserve Rye.

Does that come out separately from the rest of the VW line? Just seems odd that there's almost no mention of it.

It came out in Montgomery County, Maryland at least.

Just got back from The Party Source release. I would estimate they had 35-40 bottles of PVW23. I was 36th in line, and I know a few of the guys in front of me were going for the PVW20. When I got up there they had about 3-4 left. Price was about $220 for the PVW23. I know it is crazy to spend the night outside in sub 40 degree whether for 11 hours not knowing if you'll get anything. But the whole experience was kind of exciting. I felt a little like Ralphie meeting Santa Claus in the Christmas Story. They let groups of 10 into the store. As you approach, you see a bunch of bottles of Pappy sitting behind the desk. At this point everything sort of blurs. You get up to the desk, and the "woman says which do you want?" "Uh, I'll take the 23." "Here you go." She hands me the bottle, and I stand there for a couple seconds, and ask, "That's it, do I just go to the checkout now?" My mind was blank. I think part of it was that I was going on about 2 hours of cold, bad sleep. I don't think I really came to my senses until I walked out the door. The bottle will eventually be empty, but the memory of the experience has some value too.

Yeah, I would have been happy with the 15 or the 20, and never really considered the 23, because I figured they would be long gone. I figured I was there, I had the chance, and the price was good, so I went for it. Under normal circumstances, I would have been happy with the 12 Year Lot B or the ORVW 10/107. But to be honest, if that was all they had by my turn, I would have been disappointed. Mostly because of the time and suffering I invested in overnighting it in cold conditions. I would have purchased it still, and I'm sure my dissapointment would have subsided upon drinking it.

How did you and everyone else know they would have Pappy when they opened in the morning? Did they make some sort of announcement?

How did you and everyone else know they would have Pappy when they opened in the morning? Did they make some sort of announcement?

E-mail blast:

Okay, we surrender! Try as we have over the last few years to devise a fair method to allocate Van Winkle products to our customers, the rabid demand has become too much. We have tried to hold our supply in the past in order to trickle it out in December to unsuspecting customers, but it appears that we can no longer do that. We have had to reevaluate this process due to overwhelming and unrelenting demand. So here it is:

When the doors open at 8:00 am EST, Friday, November 7, 2014, sales will be limited to the customer’s choice of ONE BOTTLE TOTAL of the following per person / per household, on a first come basis, while supplies last:

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 23 Year - $221.99

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 Year - $125.99

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15 Year - $67.95

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13 Year - $83.99

Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year Lot B - $49.99

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 107 Proof - $41.99

In addition to this year’s Van Winkle allocation, customers may also choose ONE BOTTLE TOTAL of the following per person / per household, on a first come basis, while supplies last:

Willett Single Barrel Bourbon 12 Year TPS Private Barrel #8141 - $104.99

Willett Single Barrel Bourbon 10 Year TPS Private Barrel #1410 - $88.99

Willett Single Barrel Bourbon 10 Year TPS Private Barrel #1386 - $88.99

Willett Single Barrel Bourbon 9 Year TPS Private Barrel #7143 - $72.99

Again, sales of these whiskeys are first come, first serve. There is no waiting list, and The Party Source cannot hold or sell bottles in advance, or take sales by phone. These products are offered for in-store purchase only and will not be available online.

Your Spiritual Advisors @ The Party Source

Bevmo just said I will be offer a PVW just like BTAC in the coming weeks. Wasn't going to haunt for this or anything at all or even ask for it but, hell, won't mind it this way. :)

Bevmo policy such as this from corporate I actually like.

Just got back from The Party Source release. I would estimate they had 35-40 bottles of PVW23. I was 36th in line, and I know a few of the guys in front of me were going for the PVW20. When I got up there they had about 3-4 left. Price was about $220 for the PVW23. I know it is crazy to spend the night outside in sub 40 degree whether for 11 hours not knowing if you'll get anything. But the whole experience was kind of exciting. I felt a little like Ralphie meeting Santa Claus in the Christmas Story. They let groups of 10 into the store. As you approach, you see a bunch of bottles of Pappy sitting behind the desk. At this point everything sort of blurs. You get up to the desk, and the "woman says which do you want?" "Uh, I'll take the 23." "Here you go." She hands me the bottle, and I stand there for a couple seconds, and ask, "That's it, do I just go to the checkout now?" My mind was blank. I think part of it was that I was going on about 2 hours of cold, bad sleep. I don't think I really came to my senses until I walked out the door. The bottle will eventually be empty, but the memory of the experience has some value too.

Holy crap! How does a store get 35-40 bottles of PVW23? That's as crazy as spending a night in line in the cold waiting for one. Got to give you credit though for doing it, better savor that bottle!

Not to rub it in, but I thought I would give you the flip side of that story:

Got me a call today for my PVW15 .... drove down in a nice warm truck and walked in the store and she said wait I'll go get for you. Thank you very much and have a great weekend! Got home and not an hour later got another call from another store ...come and get your ORVW10.. Ok I'll see you tomorrow! Compared to your experience....I feel spoiled....... (oh yeh, both at retail).

It's all good though! Enjoy ..as I will also.:toast:

Holy crap! How does a store get 35-40 bottles of PVW23? That's as crazy as spending a night in line in the cold waiting for one. Got to give you credit though for doing it, better savor that bottle!

Not to rub it in, but I thought I would give you the flip side of that story:

Got me a call today for my PVW15 .... drove down in a nice warm truck and walked in the store and she said wait I'll go get for you. Thank you very much and have a great weekend! Got home and not an hour later got another call from another store ...come and get your ORVW10.. Ok I'll see you tomorrow! Compared to your experience....I feel spoiled....... (oh yeh, both at retail).

It's all good though! Enjoy ..as I will also.:toast:

Waiting in line outside all night might be a lot less enjoyable in Wisconsin than Northern Kentucky. Although, this time of year the temperatures might be comparable. In another month, not so much.

Waiting in line outside all night might be a lot less enjoyable in Wisconsin than Northern Kentucky. Although, this time of year the temperatures might be comparable. In another month, not so much.

It wasn't just the temp, it was a fierce wind throughout the night. 12 hours!

This makes me happy.

I love it for an edgy restaurant/bar. Basically making a mockery of the craziness that many people are taking so seriously nowadays. A paradox.

I saw a bottle of 20 year just sitting on a shelf today. They wanted $599 for it. I talked with the owner and he offered to knock 20% off bringing the price to $480.

I saw a bottle of 20 year just sitting on a shelf today. They wanted $599 for it. I talked with the owner and he offered to knock 20% off bringing the price to $480.
I did not buy it, btw.

Common sense prevails. Well played sir!

If you're going to be a gouger, you might as well be a kind-hearted, generous gouger? :skep:

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.