Mezcal

Dolph Lundgren

I presume the place you found this one is not an option? Had never heard of this agave species before. But given I like Tobala which is also a wild harvested agave species then this one I might like. Presuming I can find it as well!

Bump on this thread.

Had my first Tepeztate tonight and boy do I need to find some more!

22945961542_48f141246b_c.jpg

I presume the place you found this one is not an option? Had never heard of this agave species before. But given I like Tobala which is also a wild harvested agave species then this one I might like. Presuming I can find it as well!

Yeah, its a one-off.

I've heard of this only because of people like Dolph Lundgren and AaronWF - I plan on finding more bottles of Mezcal from this varietal though.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, its a one-off.

I've heard of this only because of people like Dolph Lundgren and AaronWF - I plan on finding more bottles of Mezcal from this varietal though.

I see this varietal popping up on DrinkupNY, Astor and K&L now along with a couple of other wild agave varietals. Brands like Vago, El Jolgorio and even Del Maguey. But not the one you had.

Hard to choose!

Bump on this thread.

Had my first Tepeztate tonight and boy do I need to find some more!

Couldn't find that particular bottle but you have convinced me to give a few different wild species agave's a try including the tepeztate species.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21860&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21861&stc=1

One is a tepeztate from El Jolgorio at 45.8 proof and the other is a Barril at 48.2 proof. I feel a mezcal dominated Wednesday tasting coming in my near future!

post-8493-14489822981837_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489822982072_thumb.jpeg

Hard to do a comparison with an unusual wild species of agave mezcal like this unless....

post-8493-14489822984376_thumb.jpeg

After all, nothing exceeds like excess! B)

Edited by tanstaafl2

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this thread and it reminded me that I have a bottle of Chichicapa in my bar.  I'll sadly admit that up until now I've only been using it as a "floater" for my margaritas (which makes them even more delicious).  So reading this thread made me get up and pour some.  I'm usually a tequila drinker (when not bourbon of course), but I must say that I'm really enjoying sipping on the Chichicapa neat.  I have a feeling I'm going to be buying more mezcal soon.  Damn you guys!!!  

6 minutes ago, Sluffo said:

Just found this thread and it reminded me that I have a bottle of Chichicapa in my bar.  I'll sadly admit that up until now I've only been using it as a "floater" for my margaritas (which makes them even more delicious).  So reading this thread made me get up and pour some.  I'm usually a tequila drinker (when not bourbon of course), but I must say that I'm really enjoying sipping on the Chichicapa neat.  I have a feeling I'm going to be buying more mezcal soon.  Damn you guys!!!  

I'm surprised you took to the Del Maguey that quickly as a tequila drinker. I too love tequila but learning to love mescal took me quite a while to appreciate. Chichicapa is one of several from del Maguey that I love. Recently I had a chance to try Cielo Rojo Bacanora. It totally blew me away as a close as anything I have ever had that was like a mix of tequila and mescal.

2015-07-04 22.24.42.jpg

Just finished the Chichicapa.  Loved it.  As much as I like tequila I usually gravitate towards the anejos.  I love the vanilla/caramel flavors.  I think the mezcal having the smoky flavors is different enough that I find them similar to tequila but just different enough.

While digging out the Chichicapa I actually found an older bottle of Del Maguey 100% Tobala that I apparently had one drink out of and haven't touched since.  I'm guessing it's 8 or more years old so not sure it will be any good being opened that long.  I'll try it out tomorrow since I have no recollection of it's flavor at all or wy I bought it in the first place.  :unsure:

6 minutes ago, bullitt said:

Interesting. I'd bet that it is still good as long as the bottle has had no cork problems.

And, even if it does, a little more funk won't hurt...it's mezcal!! :lol:

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

And, even if it does, a little more funk won't hurt...it's mezcal!! :lol:

True enough!!

Shouldn't be a problem since they use synthetic corks.  I'll have to taste test it right now just to make sure.

So the bottle of Tobala I have is a bit older than I remembered.  When I took it out of the basket I noticed a folded up piece of paper that I hadn't seen before.  It was a certificate of authenticity from 2004 that stated it was bottle 237 of 600 for the year.  I guess I never realized it was that limited (at least back then).

So after being open for 11 years it is still good at 94.4 proof.  A bit different than the Chichicapa for sure, but I can't really describe it other than to say I like it.  A lot.  

Tobala has always been a fairly limited production as it is made from a wild species of agave that can't be easily propagated commercially. I haven't seen bottle counts in a while but I think it is made only once a year by Del Maguey and is rarely more than a few hundred bottles a year. Tobala requires several pina's to make the same amount as a single Espadin agave (about eight according to Del Maguey) and they have to be found in the countryside rather than in a known field. The same is probably true for many of the wild agave mezcals to one degree or another.

Of course there are a lot more producers making Tobala and other wild species of Mezcal now (or at least more of them are coming to the US) so you see them more now.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎13‎:‎58‎, Sluffo said:

So after being open for 11 years it is still good at 94.4 proof.  A bit different than the Chichicapa for sure, but I can't really describe it other than to say I like it.  A lot.  

Nice!

• 2 months later...

In the agave world many swear by glass aging and slow, controlled oxidation.  Some of the earlier EJ Espadin batches were glass aged for around 5 years before bottling.  That chichi was your very own glass aging experiment!

• 4 months later...

Last week I bought Total Wine's "Mezcal Sacrificio". I poured it one night this week and will have to revisit, but I was glad it didn't seem too "industrialized" to my first taste. I had it with Mexican food for dinner, so I may have to re-calibrate the old "taster" and try it along side the Del Maguey Vida and Wahaka Joven i have open to see where i think it actually stands among "starter" Mezcals. But, so far, I'm not regretting the purchase, especially considering the price.

• 2 months later...

Finally managed to find a bottle of Del Maguey Chichicapa locally.  Been looking for probably 6 months at least.  Looking forward to trying it out.

Opened up the bottle of Del Maguey Chichicapa I bought yesterday.  Keeping in mind this is my first Mezcal ever: the nose smells like a cross between Islay whisky and unaged tequila.  Because college, sort of makes me want to vomit.  

The palate is much nicer, reminding me of young Islay whisky, except with more smoke and no discernible tcp.  So on the Lagavulin side of the island, maybe.  

I doubt this bottle is going anywhere fast, but it is good.  Not sure I'm sold on the Mezcal experience, but I'm not totally repulsed either.  We shall see how things develop.

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Eric,

Did you eat the worm?:lol::blink::o:(

Regards,

Paddy

Paddy,

Quit following me around.  It's bad enough that we both drink Bernheim accidentally to excess.  No need to involve any alleged worms.

23 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Paddy,

Quit following me around.  It's bad enough that we both drink Bernheim accidentally to excess.  No need to involve any alleged worms.

I did too!  :lol:

• 6 months later...

had lunch at Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill a few weeks ago and ordered a Mezcal margarita and loved the smokiness. Had 2 different ones.

Next night went to Rick Bayless' Leña Brava and had 2 more different Mezcal margaritas. 

So I started with the Clase Azul from Durango

the black matte decanter is hand carved by artisans from a small community of Mazahua natives, named Santa Maria Canchesda, in the state of Mexico

the colorful top is hand crafted by artisans belonging to the Wixarika or Huichol cultures

and this cocktail, Last of the Oaxacans

mixed some Chipotle chili powder with salt to rim the glass--great idea

042f6a11-aebf-426e-bdfc-e3f1ff63285a_zps01d766f6-2a83-48b3-a841-5283a51d7ba3_zps

c4ba11cf-ec0b-4d76-a74d-e5bad33f0de3_zps

then I figured I better get a couple that were a little more economical.

couldn't resist the Del Maguay Chichicapa (single village) aged in an Antique Collection William Larue Weller cask and then finished in a first fill Old Rip Van Winkle 10-year barrel for 488 days

los amantes was recommended by the Binny's guy

c292ab43-abfa-4da2-92ae-f20a54198fbe_zps

Edited by bigtoys

• 5 months later...

A recent acquisition I am hoping to explore soon. Hopefully one day next week at the latest.

59e10db02cb7f_MezcalVagoBlendTioRey.jpg.8d157cd66a864c7798c0e09437a94fcd.jpg

Blend of 66% Arroqueno, 26% "Coyote" and 8% Mexicano (which reportedly is a bit spicy compared to other agave. Bottled at a decent 103.4 proof which I will presume is "cask" strength since it is a joven style and presumably is never in a cask in the typical sense. The first two are wild variations of agave Americana with arroqueno thought to be the wild agave from which the more common domesticated espadin was developed.

Could be interesting!

• I like it 1