Mezcal

Dolph Lundgren

• 4 weeks later...

How is it? 

I have always loved the bottles that give you the feel of tradition... sometimes they are true gems!!!

• 1 month later...

Picked up 2 Mezcals today. And opened them up, both are very good. 248FD582-4A67-4FAF-A645-9139F297D685.thumb.jpeg.dd8f3f6a7ed97918ca245543ee6276b1.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2019 at 8:33 PM, LCWoody said:

Having a delicious Mezcal tonight. 

B1191E1B-1FAA-4BE3-979F-A5B5DB281C2C.thumb.jpeg.fe11736cc172bb0bee02c9da39d73c22.jpeg

What did you pay for these two if you don't mind me asking?

20 hours ago, Kane said:

What did you pay for these two if you don't mind me asking?

I remember one was cheaper than the other, but it was $79 and $89

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looking for a little help for you Mezcal experts.  

I’ve never had mezcal but I’m interested in trying some, can anyone recommend a nice smoky mezcal to try for someone who likes peaty scotch?  

Also, my my local store has a bottle of Del Maguey Pechuga, I’d love to hear any opinions on this stuff and if you think it’s worth the hefty price tag.

thanks! 

8 hours ago, Widebody said:

Looking for a little help for you Mezcal experts.  

I’ve never had mezcal but I’m interested in trying some, can anyone recommend a nice smoky mezcal to try for someone who likes peaty scotch?  

Also, my my local store has a bottle of Del Maguey Pechuga, I’d love to hear any opinions on this stuff and if you think it’s worth the hefty price tag.

thanks! 

Del Maguey is top notch, but: Skip Vida, that's for mixing. Skip Crema de Mezcal, that's not mezcal :)Neither Pechuga nor Iberico is worth the price tag imho, mostly gimmicks. I'd go for any other single village or named agave variety. Chichicapa is found everywhere, and is ridiculously good for being the most affordable of the bunch.

El Jolgorio is another favorite of mine, expensive but worth it.

Vago is cheaper than most and excellent. Their blended bottlings always change but never disappoint. Good first mezcal, easily available.

You'll probably want to avoid Ilegal and other aged expressions if you want strong smoke.

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 2

22 hours ago, Kane said:

Del Maguey is top notch, but: Skip Vida, that's for mixing. Skip Crema de Mezcal, that's not mezcal :)Neither Pechuga nor Iberico is worth the price tag imho, mostly gimmicks. I'd go for any other single village or named agave variety. Chichicapa is found everywhere, and is ridiculously good for being the most affordable of the bunch.

El Jolgorio is another favorite of mine, expensive but worth it.

Vago is cheaper than most and excellent. Their blended bottlings always change but never disappoint. Good first mezcal, easily available.

You'll probably want to avoid Ilegal and other aged expressions if you want strong smoke.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, I appreciate it!

• 2 months later...

Picked up a few Mezcals today. Nice to see some 200ml bottles to try with out having to get a 750. All are good but Jabali is definitely the best of the 3. 
B1288277-F240-4575-8B6B-E601ECA4592D.thumb.jpeg.c6c286dfb70fd5f9623477389f82eeb2.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 5 months later...

I got pulled into the rabbit hole of Mezcal by this bottle. I used to think mezcal was just a name for agave spirits that couldn’t be called tequila because it didn’t come from the correct region in Mexico...boy was I wrong!

I love Islay Scotch, and this bottle of Mezcal Vago certainly reminds me a bit of peated scotch. A different smoke for sure, but smoke nonetheless, and it’s really good. 

9BC27DD6-A3BA-46C0-9AE1-BBB0CD766AC9.jpeg

9B21A366-B7F3-4EB7-8491-6577F5E0398C.jpeg

This is my latest Mexical acquisition. All I can say is wow! It’s not as smoky as the Vago. The 5 years of aging in oak have softened the smoke a bit, and given it some bourbon-like qualities.

BD883AC7-E5F6-474B-A2F9-7E890FAC3F75.jpeg

F5B17423-9EB4-406F-B9FE-3408B9E38CE9.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 5/26/2020 at 9:54 PM, Kane said:

Here's one Del Maguey I haven't tried yet -- Wild Tepextate.

IMG_20200526_224948.jpg

Haven’t seen this brand in my area before.

11 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Haven’t seen this brand in my area before.

That's the brand that started it all.   And really good stuff too.  I have open bottles of the Minero and the Tobala.   And I think the Chichicapa was the gateway mezcal for a lot of agave hounds.

• I like it 1

Haha yeah, they are everywhere and all of them (except Vida and crema de mezcal) are stellar. I have seven agave varieties stashed atm, tried most single villages too, all good. I just regularly pass on the pechuga and iberico, way too high a price tag for the novelty value. 

• I like it 1

On 5/29/2020 at 1:27 AM, Kane said:

Haha yeah, they are everywhere and all of them (except Vida and crema de mezcal) are stellar. I have seven agave varieties stashed atm, tried most single villages too, all good. I just regularly pass on the pechuga and iberico, way too high a price tag for the novelty value. 

I recently heard Del Maguey founder Ron Cooper say that the Iberico is the best mezcal he's ever tasted and I couldn't help but wonder if he was just trying to move some 200(+) dollar bottles that have been sitting on the shelves for a while.  I'm not a huge pechuga guy anyway so it hasn't been too hard to quash my curiosity about that one.   5 Sentidos was the brand that really got me into mezcal and I still think it doesn't get much better than that but there are a lot of great brands out there.   Visiting some palenques outside Oaxaca opened my eyes to how deep craft distilling can be.  There is no purer expression of terroir than mezcal.  

Edited by scratchline

On 5/30/2020 at 9:02 AM, scratchline said:

recently heard Del Maguey founder Ron Cooper say that the Iberico is the best mezcal he's ever tasted

Yeah, no. I haven’t had enough pours of the Iberico to internalize its flavor profile, but I’ve had enough to know nothing about it stands out to me.

On that note, here’s a new Madrecuixe to accompany the Tepextate. 

9CEC9BE5-A3C5-42BF-88C0-795DDAA2B6CD.jpeg

Edited by Kane

I finished off a very good bottle of Mezcal tonight. One of the things I liked about this bottle was that it was not very smoky but so sweet and full of flavor. 
7D7757DC-15EF-4594-9E76-14191A30B671.thumb.jpeg.30b06cd2d40746fe62eb0e42affcfcd5.jpeg
BAE4439C-2875-48D1-B7EA-D16A1148BA43.thumb.jpeg.daa7621cd0395e5faabf5998828f548f.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 10:26 PM, Marekv8 said:

Couldn't pass up this cool pack…

IMG_0848.thumb.jpg.b730505dbab202743a55fcd904410070.jpg

Just curious, did you open this? I've seen them in Houston, just wondering if its good.

It’s a Mezcal afternoon. I’m loving mezcal more and more. It’s taken one sometimes two nights a week from bourbon....

F244C015-0E3D-45FA-B4FE-7EC90D1544DE.thumb.jpeg.58a40eacd8ccf3da46b4571e9177632c.jpeg

13 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Just curious, did you open this? I've seen them in Houston, just wondering if its good.

Sorry— no, I’ve never had the urge to open it. I’m sure its number will come up at some point. 

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Sorry— no, I’ve never had the urge to open it. I’m sure its number will come up at some point. 

Waiting for a number to come up in your ample bunker is probably like Beetlejuice waiting in the Netherworld Waiting Room.  ?

• I like it 3

53 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Waiting for a number to come up in your ample bunker is probably like Beetlejuice waiting in the Netherworld Waiting Room.  ?

Nicely done-- yes, it's pretty sad. I'm working on it as hard as I can given the constraints of employment, marriage and fatherhood.

• I like it 2