Mezcal

Dolph Lundgren

Cracked a bottle of this. It's very drinkable, quite light on the smoke, probably geared towards the tequila drinkers more than mezcal lovers. 

20200718_183532.jpg

Mezcal Ahuacatl margarita.  

2oz mezcal

1oz Cointreau

1.5oz lime juice

.25 oz avocado

Blend til smooth.  Transfer to shaker with ice.  Shake. Strain over single large ice in sal gusano-rimmed glass.

Dixeebe!

(N.B. more avocado)

IMG_5187.thumb.jpg.dc1e17bf65045ffa94b270e46f0c1022.jpg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, scratchline said:

Mezcal Ahuacatl margarita.  

2oz mezcal

1oz Cointreau

1.5oz lime juice

.25 oz avocado

Blend til smooth.  Transfer to shaker with ice.  Shake. Strain over single large ice in sal gusano-rimmed glass.

Dixeebe!

(N.B. more avocado)

IMG_5187.thumb.jpg.dc1e17bf65045ffa94b270e46f0c1022.jpg

Say what? I don’t want any of Sal’s guano on the rim of my glass!!! 

Just joking of course. I know it isn’t bat poop! And ground up insects sounds so much better....

?

• I like it 1

These arrived today.  The jabali-tobala is a favorite but I'd never had the sierra negra.  Happy to report that it's every bit as good as people say.  Alberto Martinez' clay still mezcal is worth seeking out.  It has the same juicy fruity quality that I love in super-aged barrel-proof ryes.   Incredible complexity.   Really anything that 5 Sentidos puts their name on is top notch.  

And the copita is from Soul Matter Studio in Austin.   Isabel Glatthorn makes beautiful things.

IMG_5192.thumb.jpg.9779eadb873a99c234db506d19487dd3.jpg

• I like it 4

• 4 weeks later...

This is a very nice combo.  The mezcal balances the sweetness of the radler and the overall effect is very bright and refreshing.  I'll be doing more of this when firing up the grill.    And the Real Minero Largo set the bar last night.  I moved on to a Del Maguey Tobala and 5 Sentidos Sierra Negra and neither one could match the Largo.   A long gentle fade as the RM finished that was a sharp contrast to the other two.

IMG_5428.thumb.jpg.8a8d4c8b25fda4906e79231c4ca296be.jpg

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 2

Killed both today. I’ll go grab some unfamiliar brands tomorrow, so much new stuff showing up on the shelves. 

EC4BB9E8-9FA3-4652-8FF1-6F27CCF88CB9.jpeg

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...

Cracked open this Bozal Coyote mezcal tonight.  I've never had anything by Bozal and if this is typical, I should be having more.  Delicious from top to bottom.  Not hugely floral but assertive and sweet and easy.  This is strong (over 100 proof) but dangerously drinkable.  Big thumbs up from me.  Best coyote I've had.

IMG_5606.thumb.jpg.0016bbcae5dde5072e623bf0eeabb37e.jpg

• I like it 1

On 8/29/2020 at 8:06 PM, scratchline said:

Cracked open this Bozal Coyote mezcal tonight.  I've never had anything by Bozal and if this is typical, I should be having more.  Delicious from top to bottom.  Not hugely floral but assertive and sweet and easy.  This is strong (over 100 proof) but dangerously drinkable.  Big thumbs up from me.  Best coyote I've had.

IMG_5606.thumb.jpg.0016bbcae5dde5072e623bf0eeabb37e.jpg

Oooo interesting. This is the default cocktail mixer at my go to bar so I never paid close attention to it. Maybe I should.

Then again they also use Angel’s Envy and Pikesville in cocktails, so that says something... 

• I like it 1

Mezcal out the freezer is my new thing. Absolutely love it. My wife made me a glass and put it on my tracker after I was done working. Emptied the bottle. I had to take a picture. Bourbon better watch out... at least for the summer. 
0247117B-D553-442F-A5FD-CAFC03941711.thumb.jpeg.521c1001c822baf62d246e0136da903e.jpeg

On 9/15/2020 at 3:55 AM, LCWoody said:

Mezcal out the freezer is my new thing. Absolutely love it. My wife made me a glass and put it on my tracker after I was done working. Emptied the bottle. I had to take a picture. Bourbon better watch out... at least for the summer. 
0247117B-D553-442F-A5FD-CAFC03941711.thumb.jpeg.521c1001c822baf62d246e0136da903e.jpeg

Might have to try this. I do like a good tequila on the rocks. Cold agave is rather tasty. 

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

So this was my wedding anniversary present.  Not from myself.  From my wise and generous and beautiful wife.  Can't wait to get into it.  Love the jabali!

IMG_3259.thumb.jpg.1e681f65f54e2fefd8c09f8808838f99.jpg

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, beasled said:

Not quite mezcal but close.. Sotol!

20201127_213914.jpg

What’s a good sotol that doesn’t say Hacienda on the label? Is there anything easily available? I don’t recall seeing anything but Hacienda. 

I seem to recall Sotol is only made from a wild collected species of agave.  I don't believe production numbers are large, not something you see often.

3 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I seem to recall Sotol is only made from a wild collected species of agave.  I don't believe production numbers are large, not something you see often.

Sotol is made from, well, sotol :) Not sure how available the plant is, but sotol the drink’s surely not popular in the US. Also not sure if it’s even popular south of the border. 

I only found out there was such a thing a couple years ago.  I've never seen a bottle, or tried it.

Also, besides being farmed on a large scale, blue agave is a much larger plant than sotol.

And here it is, Hacienda De Chihuahua, I got the anejo because why not. Also replaced the Altos, there was nothing else decent on the shelf. 

Tonight’s shaping up as a red wine, cheese, charcuterie day. Tomorrow I try the sotol post haste and opine. 

7CC54FA3-654A-4535-BD76-70D446975399.jpeg

• I like it 1

(I swear I posted the above 2hrs ago...)

Change of plans. Tried the sotol while waiting for the fedex truck (there’s always an excuse)

They lost me here ?

B8B39229-C7C6-4BF9-9923-17D753B54856.thumb.jpeg.a9def27d72238db7270be974ae53a96e.jpeg

More seriously, interesting stuff. It smells like a weird tequila and there’s definitely sweet agave undertones in the palate. That’s where similarities end. Quite bitter, herbal/medicinal, lots of mint. I could be tricked into thinking this is one of those european digestives. Looking forward to spending more time with it.