Mezcal

Dolph Lundgren

On 11/27/2020 at 11:32 PM, PaulO said:

I seem to recall Sotol is only made from a wild collected species of agave.  I don't believe production numbers are large, not something you see often.

On 11/27/2020 at 11:39 PM, Kane said:

Sotol is made from, well, sotol :) Not sure how available the plant is, but sotol the drink’s surely not popular in the US. Also not sure if it’s even popular south of the border. 

On 11/28/2020 at 5:47 PM, Kane said:

(I swear I posted the above 2hrs ago...)

Change of plans. Tried the sotol while waiting for the fedex truck (there’s always an excuse)

They lost me here ?

B8B39229-C7C6-4BF9-9923-17D753B54856.thumb.jpeg.a9def27d72238db7270be974ae53a96e.jpeg

More seriously, interesting stuff. It smells like a weird tequila and there’s definitely sweet agave undertones in the palate. That’s where similarities end. Quite bitter, herbal/medicinal, lots of mint. I could be tricked into thinking this is one of those european digestives. Looking forward to spending more time with it. 

I don't think this last quote is correct. Sotol or the "Desert Spoon" (Dasylirion wheeleri)is not an agave species and so is not truly a mezcal although it is made more like as mezcal and tends to be smoky. It has its own DOC and is legally only made in 3 states in Northern Mexico including the state of Chihuahua, Hence the reason for the name of the most common variety. 

Bacanora, also from Northern Mexico, is an agave based spirit and so is in the broader mezcal family but doesn't fit the Mexican legal definition of a mezcal because of where it is made.

Both are interesting. You can find a broader range of producers than just Hacienda de Chihuahua in places like SoCal where I bought a Coyote brand of Sotol that was pretty good,

• 5 weeks later...

Put a fair dent in the previous bottle so I thought I'd pick up a couple more whilst they were still available here.

20210104_164346.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished a damn good bottle of Mezcal this afternoon. Definitely picking up another. 
0F1E2365-6C28-4DEE-99E3-8DDCAF0BFD51.thumb.jpeg.370489e8dd46d8284005721e9eb5e641.jpeg

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, beasled said:

Not quite mezcal, but I picked these up today. 

20210318_165412.jpg

Have you tried the Sotol yet?

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Not yet! I will report back when I do.. 

• I like it 1

On 3/19/2021 at 12:33 AM, lcpfratn said:

Just having a pour of this. 

Getting some mowed grass notes on the nose, peppery and 'minerally' as you would find with a decent blanco tequila, maybe a bit of tortilla flour in there too, some menthol. There's a bit of grassy/soil funk to it as well. These sound like harsh notes, but nothing overpowering and it is all very pleasant. 

Taste is sweet, peppery, ginger, some menthol again, more of that minerally stuff that's hard to define, peppery spice on the finish. 

Quite a lot going on but it is sippable and I will no doubt pick up another bottle when this goes. It's familar enough with tequila/mezcal but clearly different enough, if this is a good representation of the spirit (it's my first Sotol that isn't a blend so I hope so!). The journey continues... 

Cheers!

• I like it 1

On 3/18/2021 at 4:56 PM, beasled said:

Not quite mezcal, but I picked these up today. 

20210318_165412.jpg

I have also tried the Raicilla. Holy moly what an absolute flavour bomb. So much to unpack here. 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, beasled said:

Just having a pour of this. 

Getting some mowed grass notes on the nose, peppery and 'minerally' as you would find with a decent blanco tequila, maybe a bit of tortilla flour in there too, some menthol. There's a bit of grassy/soil funk to it as well. These sound like harsh notes, but nothing overpowering and it is all very pleasant. 

Taste is sweet, peppery, ginger, some menthol again, more of that minerally stuff that's hard to define, peppery spice on the finish. 

Quite a lot going on but it is sippable and I will no doubt pick up another bottle when this goes. It's familar enough with tequila/mezcal but clearly different enough, if this is a good representation of the spirit (it's my first Sotol that isn't a blend so I hope so!). The journey continues... 

Cheers!

Thanks! I have access to this one, and have been curious about it, but haven’t been willing to take the plunge since it goes for around $75 here. I may just have to give it a whirl now that you’ve enlightened me. 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Thanks! I have access to this one, and have been curious about it, but haven’t been willing to take the plunge since it goes for around $75 here. I may just have to give it a whirl now that you’ve enlightened me. 

I hope you enjoy it if you do! 

• I like it 1

I picked up 3 Mezcal a few weeks ago. All are really good but the Jabali is my favorite of the 3. 
47ABEC7E-DB2E-4858-A497-7BB80C7C8192.thumb.jpeg.764496347cccd3acc49bc900a5d41f28.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just tried an amazing Mezcal that I’ll never be able to own. My boss got this as a gift from a client in Mexico. 
included in the photos is a sheet explaining the Mezcal sent by the client. 

2D3BEA12-6CB8-45A6-B1C8-D85C95C0BE8A.jpeg

5669A2B4-A25A-4356-B7B3-2FB17636BF09.jpeg

AFACDD33-6F17-4F86-8794-42D86AA6843F.jpeg

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Just tried an amazing Mezcal that I’ll never be able to own. My boss got this as a gift from a client in Mexico. 
included in the photos is a sheet explaining the Mezcal sent by the client. 

2D3BEA12-6CB8-45A6-B1C8-D85C95C0BE8A.jpeg

5669A2B4-A25A-4356-B7B3-2FB17636BF09.jpeg

AFACDD33-6F17-4F86-8794-42D86AA6843F.jpeg

Already had two bourbons tonight so I might be missing something, but... isn’t this their typical Tobala? I mean it’s great, but also pretty easy to get. 

10 hours ago, Kane said:

Already had two bourbons tonight so I might be missing something, but... isn’t this their typical Tobala? I mean it’s great, but also pretty easy to get. 

I know next to nothing about Mezcal so you might be right. It was talked about as being super rare but it sounds like I should be skeptical!

2 hours ago, flahute said:

I know next to nothing about Mezcal so you might be right. It was talked about as being super rare but it sounds like I should be skeptical!

Heh no not rare at all. But it’s damn good they got that right, could even be my favorite mezcal obtainable in the US.  You can see me killing bottles if you scroll back a few pages. 

2 hours ago, Kane said:

Heh no not rare at all. But it’s damn good they got that right, could even be my favorite mezcal obtainable in the US.  You can see me killing bottles if you scroll back a few pages. 

I see those bottle kills now. Oof, I'm blind. I looked it up and it's an interesting concept "single village". They have quite the range. I found it on the Total Wine website and it's pricey for sure. Currently not available but it must come around enough to be on the website. 

4 hours ago, flahute said:

I see those bottle kills now. Oof, I'm blind. I looked it up and it's an interesting concept "single village". They have quite the range. I found it on the Total Wine website and it's pricey for sure. Currently not available but it must come around enough to be on the website. 

My impression is that Del Maguey’s high end mezcals are not necessarily abundant in absolute numbers, but the demand for mezcal is low and price tag high enough that it works. I don’t see these on the shelves very often but when I ask a liquor store employee they order and get it in my hands the next day. I was never once told no. 

• I like it 1

I’m having some Mezcal tonight. I pulled out all my open bottles. By far my favorite line is Chacolo, just outstanding. Next would be Mezcalosfera, then the Rey Campero line. 
I’m having some Rey Campero, Sierra Negra. 
61B21BE9-DC2D-4F95-AFA0-FFE00E424686.thumb.jpeg.674c415f23f103e4c1bdc943d3b94053.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying some Papalome this evening. Part of the El Destilado bottlings which is an indy bottling/importer based in the UK. 

This is rich, earthy and with a slight menthol finish, tasty stuff. 

20210505_213910.thumb.jpg.db5404a8445db369d9de7d8f315a5270.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Having some Mezcal tonight. I’m loving Mezcal more and more. 
0BA2BCF7-147F-415A-9D47-67AB149780E9.thumb.jpeg.df7584e60d9cfa65a772cafb820055eb.jpeg

• I like it 1

I've been enjoying the Papalome so I picked up another bottle alongside a Tobaziche from the same range. These are very decently priced (for 50cl bottles). 

20210524_154439.thumb.jpg.0778ac6ce64a5c398ecd4924f7b44c9b.jpg

• I like it 1