Mezcal

Dolph Lundgren

Well since the post above I have also picked up some Tepextate... and tasty it is too. Baked earth, peppery, sweet, a bit sour... lovely. 

image.thumb.png.e5b1fb749f8c24578e949f712e145fc1.png

On 3/24/2021 at 6:35 PM, beasled said:

I have also tried the Raicilla. Holy moly what an absolute flavour bomb. So much to unpack here. 

And multiple agaves uesd to make the different ones make many of them interestingh. Essentially mezcal but because it is not in a state where you can call it mezcal they use the local name, Raicilla. If you want an unusual flavor bomb try to find the Venonosa Sierra el Tigre. 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

And multiple agaves uesd to make the different ones make many of them interestingh. Essentially mezcal but because it is not in a state where you can call it mezcal they use the local name, Raicilla. If you want an unusual flavor bomb try to find the Venonosa Sierra el Tigre. 

Doesn't seem to be available over here (yet). I can get the Costa de Jalisco, Puntas and the Occidental de Jalisco (in addition to the Sur de Jalisco of course). Will look out for it though!

• 1 month later...

Some recent agave purchases. Not seen the black bottles over here recently, so I splurged.

20210816_151203.jpg

• I like it 3

• 3 months later...

I’m not sure of the name of the Mezcal I’m drinking tonight. But believe me it is good especially by the open fire pit cooking some sausage and Boudin. 
1130ED51-E59E-4179-BB4E-788166EE81C7.thumb.jpeg.53a7eea3ddc65e3bed3ba7386c6b9e7f.jpeg

• I like it 9

• 3 weeks later...

Killing off this Tobasiche from La Medida. Tons of smoky bubblegum fruit in this. Might have to seek out some more...

image.thumb.png.56500f2262771770f375941e7e0cf328.png

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Kane said:

Vago could be a gamble sometimes but madrecuixe should be interesting. 

5A532FB8-B3D6-4494-8152-B5D78D3B0543.jpeg

I had this bottle about 8 months ago or so, I thought it was really good. I didn’t pick up a second bottle though. 

On 1/4/2022 at 4:09 PM, Kane said:

Vago could be a gamble sometimes but madrecuixe should be interesting. 

5A532FB8-B3D6-4494-8152-B5D78D3B0543.jpeg

I think it's funny, in Spanish, "vago" means bum. 🤣

18 hours ago, PaulO said:

I think it's funny, in Spanish, "vago" means bum. 🤣

Probably deliberate. The story is the founders were basically beach bums/surfers traveling in southern Mexico when they first tried mezcal and eventually decided to create the brand.

21 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Probably deliberate. The story is the founders were basically beach bums/surfers traveling in southern Mexico when they first tried mezcal and eventually decided to create the brand.

Good day, Paul Harvey!  😁

• I like it 1

On 1/6/2022 at 6:35 PM, smokinjoe said:

Good day, Paul Harvey!  😁

I resemble that remark...

Have enjoyed the Marca Negra bottlings I've had in the past so picked this up at a decent price. 

20220110_141655.jpg

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mezcal Afternoon. It has definitely become my favorite next to bourbon.B5E05035-EB92-4218-834B-D1157B1D0CF8.thumb.jpeg.0405d406099f91872a28eef24c95fa89.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

Mezcal Afternoon. It has definitely become my favorite next to bourbon...

Tequila and Mezcal in my sights for future exploration.  Getting hard to find interesting bourbon, but plenty of mezcal right there, that I know nothing about.  

• I like it 2

I can only echo the above sentiments, bourbon is rather stagnant here in the UK these days and I only find myself buying scotch or tequila/mezcal of late.

Sipping on some Bozal Cuishe this evening. It's rather good, if a little light.

20220310_231341.jpg

• I like it 1

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve been working on this one since January. It’s significantly cheaper than the next most affordable Madrecuixe I’ve had, and unfortunately it showed. The typical flavor of this agave was there but so was some chemical bitter off notes I’d expect to find in a peated Scotch. That didn’t work here.

Almost half way thru the bottle, happy to report that it’s significantly better now. I still wouldn’t get another bottle, I’d just go for a Del Maguey or El Jolgorio.

044E4A0F-EFFD-477B-AE0B-22D8BEE6CCB3.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I’ve been working on this one since January. It’s significantly cheaper than the next most affordable Madrecuixe I’ve had, and unfortunately it showed. The typical flavor of this agave was there but so was some chemical bitter off notes I’d expect to find in a peated Scotch. That didn’t work here.

Almost half way thru the bottle, happy to report that it’s significantly better now. I still wouldn’t get another bottle, I’d just go for a Del Maguey or El Jolgorio.

044E4A0F-EFFD-477B-AE0B-22D8BEE6CCB3.jpeg

Aaaaiiiirrrrrrr Tiiiiiimmmmmme! 🤗

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Killed this last night finally. I will pay the +$50 and get a more reliable brand for my next Madrecuixe is all I’m gonna say. 

721A2B9D-B026-4365-B2F8-3A774A9AF297.jpeg

Having a great pour of Mezcal, on a beautiful afternoon, with my dog Buddy, fetching his favorite toy. ….. If y’all run across a bottle of Chacolo pick it up, you will not be disappointed. 
657DF240-C601-46CC-8CBE-9127BC59BCAA.thumb.jpeg.1859ef217de255c8efed92178af788b2.jpeg

• I like it 4

• 3 weeks later...