Whistle Pig vs Jefferson 10

Hedonist
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20140901_174540.jpg

Hi everybody. It was Whistle Pig that got me interested in rye. Then I soon found many other ryes I preferred to the WP for far less money. But my tastes go round and round with rye, and I'm tiring of the smoothness of LDI/MGP lately. I find myself turning to the Pig again for its spicey boldness.

I was surprised to find a bottle of Jefferson 10 rye at a local liquor store last night for $40. As many of you are probably aware, there is speculation that Jefferson 10 and Whistle Pig are from the same distillery, so I bought the Jefferson 10 for comparison.

I tasted them side by side today. Neat. No ice. No water added.

Given its substantially lower price, I was disappointed that Jefferson 10 does not measure up to Whistle Pig. I've never considered Whistle Pig a terribly complex rye, but it is more complex than the Jefferson 10. There is a subtle underlying sweetness to the Pig that Jefferson lacks. And although the Pig is 6 proof higher, it seems at least as smooth as Jefferson.

That's not to say that Jefferson is bad, it's not. For a $40 it's not bad at all. If you're looking for 100% rye that is going to bring the heat, it's not a bad buy. For a spicey rye in this price range also consider Knob Creek which brings the heat but also has a nutty finish that Jefferson lacks.

The early bottles of Jeff 10 Rye were by all reports originally from the same source as the Pig (Alberta Distillers) although I don't know if anybody who knew for sure ever confirmed it. But the "Made in Canada" on the label of the Jeff Rye has long since disappeared and there is no definitive word about where it comes from currently. So depending on how old your bottle is it may well not be from Alberta Distillers or even Canada. Just as likely it is more of the MGP rye although at 10yo I suppose it is unlikely they would have a lot of that available unless they planned well in advance and bought it a long time ago.

That's funny. You know, I keep turning to it. I've drank quite a little bit of the Jeff 10 in the few days I've had it. In a side by side taste test it doesn't fair well for me, but something about it keeps drawing me in. Maybe that it's new and different for me and relatively inexpensive.

LDI didn't make it either. Point in fact no American distiller was making a 100% Rye 10 years ago whereas Alberta has been making it for a lot of years and in sufficient quantity to sell in bulk to others.

LDI didn't make it either. Point in fact no American distiller was making a 100% Rye 10 years ago whereas Alberta has been making it for a lot of years and in sufficient quantity to sell in bulk to others.

Good point. I should've added I don't know what Jefferson has in the bottle nor am I willing to take their word for it, rather if it is 100% rye Alberta is the probable source.

Good example of why Jefferson is frustrating.

I got a bottle of the rye, and it was very nice, and I'd probably put it pretty high on list of bottled I've purchased. But its frustrating that the next bottle probably has no chance on being the same unless I happen to get very lucky.

That combined with their fast and loose policies has kept me going back to SAOS.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any chance the Jefferson 10 is from the Canada distillery even though it doesn't say Canada on the bottle anymore?

To me it tastes similar to Whistle Pig, although not as good.

Is there any chance the Jefferson 10 is from the Canada distillery even though it doesn't say Canada on the bottle anymore?

To me it tastes similar to Whistle Pig, although not as good.

I would say there is a chance. Heck, with Jefferson, there is a chance it says 100% rye and isn't anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love the early batches of Jeff 10, but won't buy anything with their name on it without a heavy dose of skepticism first.

More than a chance it's damn likely. Of course, being Jefferson, there's a chance it isn't.

I have avoided them both for months now. Just way to many good ryes out there for a whole lot less $$$$ and proudly declare they are distilled in Indiana.

I have avoided them both for months now. Just way to many good ryes out there for a whole lot less $$$$ and proudly declare they are distilled in Indiana.

Agree. I love the Indiana stuff, but these two offer a nice change of pace.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.