Btac 2014

KyleCBreese
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm on the VA ABC store list at 2 stores. Hope I get something. I put in for GTS, WLW, and ER17.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all ABC allocations go thru Richmond, regardless of how many stores you sign up at. So if they get to you, they'll check your name off, send your bottles out, then your next request (second store) would go to the end of the line. I asked at a couple different stores around here and they explained it that way.

Hope you still get something though, when'd you put in your request?

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all ABC allocations go thru Richmond, regardless of how many stores you sign up at. So if they get to you, they'll check your name off, send your bottles out, then your next request (second store) would go to the end of the line. I asked at a couple different stores around here and they explained it that way...
It used to work that way, but now I think they shift more toward few stores with higher end customers they want to please, like Chesapeake, Richmond, maybe Fairfax or Tyson's Corner. So if ya shop the right store, your odds might be better. This was definitely true for the few boxes of Old Blowhard Virginia bought. And seemed perhaps to be true for last year's BATC. Edited by B.B. Babington

It used to work that way, but now I think they shift more toward few stores with higher end customers they want to please, like Chesapeake, Richmond, maybe Fairfax or Tyson's Corner. So if ya shop the right store, your odds might be better. This was definitely true for the few boxes of Old Blowhard Virginia bought. And seemed perhaps to be true for last year's BATC.

I'll be frank: I've given up. The cost/benefit for me just isn't worth my time. Did the big crazy hunt last year, spent hours on the road. I got what I wanted, but I probably spent more than a couple day's worth of hours working on it. This year, I asked a local bottle shop to hold a bottle of PVW15 for me (It's the only VW product I have yet to try. Might happen, might not. If not, I'll probably spend that money on PH Wheat Whiskey and be just as happy), but I'll be letting the BTAC pass me by this year. Maybe things will calm down in a few years.

This is what I've observed. There are 2 ABC stores in my area that seem to get the lions share of the good stuff. I have a pretty good relationship with the manager at one of them. Last year I was able to get 3 GTS and 3 WLW. The Eagle Rare 17 was, well, rare!

The Eagle Rare, in my estimation, was one of the standouts. Really excellent vintage. Last year I was able to grab 3 ER17, 3GTS, 1 Weller and 1 THH for good measure.

Struck out on the VW releases though so while good it was not a completely successful hunting season.

Ugggg I almost dread the releases nowadays. I read all the online reviews and then inevitably can't find any of it. It's like going to a bar full of hot loose women to go home alone to eat cold pizza and watch family guy. [emoji37]
Now That's Funny.. I do like Cold Pizza.. Creggor

This is what I've observed. There are 2 ABC stores in my area that seem to get the lions share of the good stuff. I have a pretty good relationship with the manager at one of them. Last year I was able to get 3 GTS and 3 WLW. The Eagle Rare 17 was, well, rare!

Interesting, did you request all six or just one and you got six? It sounds like we could be saying the same thing. I've been told I can request as many as I want, but if I don't take them they go back to Richmond and re-allocated. Size of request has no bearing, it's just where you are in line. But if I place a request at two different stores I'm not on the list in two separate but close spots. Either way cheers on your luck last year!

Interesting, did you request all six or just one and you got six? It sounds like we could be saying the same thing. I've been told I can request as many as I want, but if I don't take them they go back to Richmond and re-allocated. Size of request has no bearing, it's just where you are in line. But if I place a request at two different stores I'm not on the list in two separate but close spots. Either way cheers on your luck last year!

I had requested 3 each of GTS WLW and ER17. The manager at the one store said they were supposed to send them back, but its easier on the store to just sell them if the person requesting them can't be contacted. She told me they get whatever they get and then they go through the special order forms in their stores to call people. I don't think Richmond has any central database of requests.

Same, would love a PVW15 and/or GTW and/or WLW. Last year I came up bust but found the latter 2 on sale with less than unbearably abusive markup. Anything I can find would be great. Any fellow PNW'ers who have tips or come across spares would be in my debit. I would gladly return the favor.

I had requested 3 each of GTS WLW and ER17. The manager at the one store said they were supposed to send them back, but its easier on the store to just sell them if the person requesting them can't be contacted. She told me they get whatever they get and then they go through the special order forms in their stores to call people. I don't think Richmond has any central database of requests.
Was told today that the local ABC just got an email saying they "should" be able to fill ALL BTAC allocations :) ... up to 2013 :( I swear I don't think they know how it works. I'm just going to show up and hope to get something. We just got WT Diamond in and EC23 and nobody is buying either.

Was told today that the local ABC just got an email saying they "should" be able to fill ALL BTAC allocations :) ... up to 2013 :( I swear I don't think they know how it works. I'm just going to show up and hope to get something. We just got WT Diamond in and EC23 and nobody is buying either.

I just stop by regularly and hope for the best. Have not seen any EC23 or WT Diamond around me. I'm in the NOVA area.

Regarding ER17 I just went to their website and read the release letters. What I notice is that 2010 through 2014 all seem to come from the same batch. The distill date, mixtures, temperatures, ABV, warehouse floors, everything is the same. It appears that back in 2010 they bottled everything from the 1993 barrels and are parceling it out over the years. Makes me wonder if there will be anything made in further years or if this is the end of the run.

Regarding ER17 I just went to their website and read the release letters. What I notice is that 2010 through 2014 all seem to come from the same batch. The distill date, mixtures, temperatures, ABV, warehouse floors, everything is the same. It appears that back in 2010 they bottled everything from the 1993 barrels and are parceling it out over the years. Makes me wonder if there will be anything made in further years or if this is the end of the run.

Check posts 14 and 15. It seems they have been storing the entire batch for a while and slowly releasing it.

Geoff Kleinman at drinkspirits.com reviewed the 2014 bottles and has the 2014 Handy as the weakest of the bunch. In contrast, drinkdistiller.com calls it the best of the bunch, giving it a 98. (same reviewer gave the new Oregon BMH rye a 98 -- seeing a pattern here...)

Total Wine sent me an email alert today letting me know that WLW, ER17, and GTS were all in stock. Considering that I have been burned 4-5 times by them already for special orders like this, I almost didn't even attempt a web purchase. But I figured what the heck, and ordered one of each. Imagine my surprise when I get an email a few minutes later telling me that they cancelled my WLW due to allocations but I would receive a bottle of ER17 and GTS. Both at MSRP, too. Edit: In fact, I just received an email alerting me that my bottles are ready for pickup.

Huh. I would feel like a moron for loudly proclaiming I wasn't going to mess with that stuff this year, but I don't think this counts as partaking in the BTAC rush.

Total Wine sent me an email alert today letting me know that WLW, ER17, and GTS were all in stock. Considering that I have been burned 4-5 times by them already for special orders like this, I almost didn't even attempt a web purchase. But I figured what the heck, and ordered one of each. Imagine my surprise when I get an email a few minutes later telling me that they cancelled my WLW due to allocations but I would receive a bottle of ER17 and GTS. Both at MSRP, too. Edit: In fact, I just received an email alerting me that my bottles are ready for pickup.

Huh. I would feel like a moron for loudly proclaiming I wasn't going to mess with that stuff this year, but I don't think this counts as partaking in the BTAC rush.

Congrats on that. In an out before the mayhem. My order got cancelled. Oh well. Not pressed.

Dang you guys! I threw down a perfectly good half cigar and ran to my local. He looked up all 5 which said a date of Nov 1st.

Yeah, this was seriously low drama. I just picked my bottles up on the way to get some gas. How mundane.

Yea that is insane. Never heard of MD getting them this early. Usually its mid October.

Yea that is insane. Never heard of MD getting them this early. Usually its mid October.
It is ridiculously early. I was half wondering if they were super late stragglers from the 2013 batch, but they are both definitely 2014.

Fear not, fellow Marylanders: If I hear anything else from my local bottle shop folks I will post something in this thread. Based on my luck today, I will probably withdraw my request for a PVW15 from my local store and just focus on Parker's Heritage and the Four Roses Small Batch LE. I'm expecting the PH to be easy to find, but not sure about the Four Roses. Doesn't seem like Maryland gets a lot of it. And no, I'm not JUST saying I'm not looking for PVW15 anymore because when I loudly declared I was tired of hunting for BTAC bottles, two dropped into my lap. That's mere coincidence, my friends.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.