What Bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2014

bin31z
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yankee Spirits OWA Barrel - not sure how old, but first pour and given its darker than other OWAs on the shelf I'd say around 7 years. At just under $22, may go back for another. Usually I get a bit of heat/burn off of OWA, none at all here. Very full mouthfeel, straightforward, long finish with maybe just a hint of bitterness on the finish. A drop of water eliminates that all together.

If the standard bottling were like this, I'd reach for a wheater more often.

Edited by sutton

Yankee Spirits OWA Barrel - not sure how old, but first pour and given its darker than other OWAs on the shelf I'd say around 7 years. At just under $22, may go back for another. Usually I get a bit of heat/burn off of OWA, none at all here. Very full mouthfeel, straightforward, long finish with maybe just a hint of bitterness on the finish. A drop of water eliminates that all together.

If the standard bottling were like this, I'd reach for a wheater more often.

Interestingly enough, I found my most recent OWA very pleasant and absent the heat/burn that you mention. I also usually note it too. It was a standard bottling. Unfortunately, it is back off the shelf now so I will have to wait for the next round.
Edited by sutton

Maybe a promising development in the supply? I've stayed away from standard OWA the last couple of years because I was getting the heat/burn and the bottles I had were lighter in color and flavor (so I assumed younger). But store select single barrels, most at least 7 years old, were like this one I just purchased and were fuller in the mouth, darker, and while not particularly complex had a more concentrated flavor profile.

I never had the original 7/107, but on the store selects anyway this seems to be a sweet spot for this bottling. If the standard bottlings are trending back in this direction, maybe the supply is beginning to stabilize and they are able to age it a bit longer? The price around me has always stayed pretty steady, $19-22 even for the store selects.

Mark, I think things may have stabilized on this brand. I picked up a regular retail bottle a couple of weeks ago that was stellar. This is now the second NAS version that has been spot on great for me. My experience with these bottles is that I don't pine for the 7 yr at all.

After a great week and day at work a bottle of EC23 (I know I said I wasn't going to do it but what the heck), a bottle of BT Single Oak, and my first bottle of a store select 4R OBSV.

One of my dealers bought two barrels of 4R (his first) and sold one barrel to a single customer who is going to pass them out as gifts.

Adn no I don't have any friends with that type of cash.

It turned out I had become an empty-nester on my herd of Buffalo Trace, so picked up another Family Size, today. And, a fellow SBer/GBSer slipped me 2 bottles of Makers Cask Strength during a clandestine bottle swap in the ATL. :D

Been a good bourbon day already and its about to get better. Picked up a third FR Smb LE '14 today and leaving to pickup a ECBP and EC23 from another store. I am loving these calls, but the wallet is hating me at this point.

Posted this in the summer thread instead of this one, duh.

Got a local store select FRSB, because I really needed another bottle of bourbon after last week.

Best regards, Tony

It turned out I had become an empty-nester on my herd of Buffalo Trace, so picked up another Family Size, today. And, a fellow SBer/GBSer slipped me 2 bottles of Makers Cask Strength during a clandestine bottle swap in the ATL. :D

Funny, someone slipped me some SB HHSS in a clandestine bottle swap today as well.

I thought about buying the last three bottles at my store of HH BIB 6yr White Label.

Thought briefly about a bottle of FRSmB.

Also looked at some Old Grand Dad Bonded.

Ended up getting what is increasingly my favorite right now, '04 EWSB (from barrel #1082).

My usual spot didn't have anything too interesting in tonight, so I picked up a bottle of CEHT SmB that's been siting on the shelf for a few weeks.

Nice little cache muled back for me from the KBF, Not sure ,but can you drink whisky from a plastic container?(the handle of OHH BIB):lol:post-10789-14489821489005_thumb.jpg

Nice little cache muled back for me from the KBF, Not sure ,but can you drink whisky from a plastic container?(the handle of OHH BIB):lol:[ATTACH=CONFIG]19420[/ATTACH]

Nice little cache muled back for me from the KBF, Not sure ,but can you drink whisky from a plastic container?(the handle of OHH BIB):lol:[ATTACH=CONFIG]19420[/ATTACH]

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!