What Bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2014

bin31z
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got a Jim Beam White.

Hear me out, I invited about 8 of my new coworkers to my place for a whiskey tasting. Most had no experience with the good stuff so i figured they'd want to cut most of their whiskey with coke or whatever. The lowest grade bottle in my collection would probably be Fighting Cock, and I would be reticent to let anyone cut that with coke so I figured the safe thing to do would be to buy the Jim Beam white and let them go to town on it.

To my surprise nobody brought any mixers and they all drank my stuff straight. I feel like the whiskeys blew some of their minds and kept getting lots of comments and questions about different bottles. It felt great to be the expert for the night and i loved peeking at people taking sips of stuff and watching their facial expressions show delight and curiosity.

What got the most love for the night were my Rittenhouse and Willet 4yo Ryes but the few brave ones also really dug my Bookers. One guy was really blown away by a Talisker 10.

So yea, now I've got some JB White on my hands, I'm sure it'll come in handy sometime.

Edited by lakegz

Just got back from Toronto with a Wiser's Legacy. Not really available in the U.S., and supposedly one of the boldest of the Canadian ryes.

Also not a bourbon, but almost :grin: Plus, one of the coolest looking bottles. This is a stock photo, looks sharper in person.

post-6795-14489821504568_thumb.jpg

post-6795-14489821504568_thumb.jpg

I wasn't going to originally purchase this but since my local store brought it out from behind their counter and offered the lowest price in the area I went for it. The nose is fantastic, but falls a bit flat after the initial taste. Comes back with some good oak flavors and cinnamon spice.

post-11296-14489821506083_thumb.jpg

Maker's Cask Strength but I won't have it in hand for a couple days at least. I'm stoked to have it as Maker's, along with good ol' Turkey, got me started in bourbon.

Got my hands on some FR OESK 15yr from the gift shop today. All thanks to a very generous SB'er!

Good call all around. You got some new friends to try some bourbon, and it turned out well. You had something they have all heard of. They all went with something new. My guess is that you will probably get along with them pretty well in the future.

I got a Jim Beam White.

Hear me out, I invited about 8 of my new coworkers to my place for a whiskey tasting. Most had no experience with the good stuff so i figured they'd want to cut most of their whiskey with coke or whatever. The lowest grade bottle in my collection would probably be Fighting Cock, and I would be reticent to let anyone cut that with coke so I figured the safe thing to do would be to buy the Jim Beam white and let them go to town on it.

To my surprise nobody brought any mixers and they all drank my stuff straight. I feel like the whiskeys blew some of their minds and kept getting lots of comments and questions about different bottles. It felt great to be the expert for the night and i loved peeking at people taking sips of stuff and watching their facial expressions show delight and curiosity.

What got the most love for the night were my Rittenhouse and Willet 4yo Ryes but the few brave ones also really dug my Bookers. One guy was really blown away by a Talisker 10.

So yea, now I've got some JB White on my hands, I'm sure it'll come in handy sometime.

I couldn't remember the 4R letter combo's but OBSK is a combination I remember for some reason. Maybe just found the best sounding combination at some point and it stuck in my head.

4R OBSK barrel #4, about 9.5 years, and a large Bulleit.

Don't know if I should go back and hoard more of the 4R... probably won't as I've had a beer this evening.

Found these little fellas today. They sure are cute.

post-11296-14489821509559_thumb.jpg

Purchased an ECBP, 140.2 proof, which I guess is now Batch 6.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely pick up a couple from my local shop.

Got a bottle of wild turkey diamond anniversary, witch is 13-16yr old blend. Hoping it's atleast as good as wild turkey tradition

Got my hands on some FR OESK 15yr from the gift shop today. All thanks to a very generous SB'er!

Sitting in a meeting this morning, got a phone call from Kentucky. Glad I called him back in time. Can't wait to get my grubby little paws on this.

Sitting in a meeting this morning, got a phone call from Kentucky. Glad I called him back in time. Can't wait to get my grubby little paws on this.

Oh I also bought three other bottles of Four Roses I've been waiting on, and Joe will be packing them up with my HHSS that he hung onto for me in the meantime... It's like whiskey Christmas.

I was in St. Louis for work and picked up these store selections. I sampled and purchased a Liquor Barn selection of SAOS 8 year barrel proof. It was outstanding, so I'm really excited to compare this variation.

post-10772-14489821509999_thumb.jpg

You'll have to let us know how it pairs with the Fruit Punch flavor Smirnoff. I know a lot of people on the board like their Stagg with Sour Apple or Island Breeze Smirnoff.

2 more '14 GTS today ... KS is coming through this year

9D618BA3-6EEE-4350-955E-C43ACB62A393.jpg

Went to Cox's Creek this morning looking for the mythical 15 yr FR OESK. No joy. On the way back stopped at Beam for a consolation prize:

post-8261-14489821511017_thumb.jpg

Went to Cox's Creek this morning looking for the mythical 15 yr FR OESK. No joy. On the way back stopped at Beam for a consolation prize:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19463[/ATTACH]

Hard to tell from the photo. Are these 750's or 375's?

Hard to tell from the photo. Are these 750's or 375's?

375s, you can just see the outward indention of 375 at the bottom of the bottle.

Picked up the new PHC this afternoon. I really like the regular Bernheim Wheat that has been out for several years, but must admit, that I was less than thrilled with the PHC bottle that was out at KBF. However, that was late on the last night and I believe the inside of my palate was screaming No mas! No mas! at the time...:lol: Will try anew and see how it goes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19463[/ATTACH]

I've been quite curious about that one. I wonder if I'll see any around here.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!