What rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter 2014

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As we're not officially fall, starting a new thread.

OT - cracked open a SAOS 7yr rye that I snagged enroute to KBF (and for only $45 - if it hadn't been 9:05am local time with a few hours of driving left, I'd have cracked it in the parking lot and wound up stocking up!) Not special in particular, hits me where most of these do - which is square in the wheelhouse. Singed orange zest in the wake of that lovely rye spice.

Good evening. A couple of weeks ago I purchased two bottles of High West Rendezvous Rye..Over the weekend I opened one of the bottles.. My son in law was here.. Many years ago I was able to buy Sazarec 18Yr Yr and the Van Winkel 10 Yr Old Tyme Rye and 13 Yr Van Winkel.. We liked them both.. I actually liked the 10Yr Rye a lot.. And the 18Yr Saz was wonderful.. Since then we have tried some other rye's and never really found anything that would hold up to the Sazerac 18 Year.. So I had heard and read a few reviews on the High West Rendezvous.. I am not all that great when it comes to writing reviews with all the flavors etc.. But mna alive this Rye is a wonderful full flavored bottling.. I would highly advise trying this Rye.. I had another pour last night Straight up and it went down nice and smooth.. Long Finish. Not a lot of overpowering heat.. I loved it is all I can say.. Been at this a long time.. I called the liquor store today and told my guy I would take up to three more bottles.. I do have a bottle of Mitchers 10 year sitting there for me.. Anyhow HW RR is going to be a standard on my list for Ryes as long as I can find it.. Creggor

Picked up a local selection of HW Double Rye that was finished for 21 months in a used bourbon barrel. Bottled at 100 proof. Nice to see this local shop continuing to bring in unique selections and I was happy to pick up another of their selections. They're bringing in a Knob Creek SB next, looking forward to that one, they usually do a fine job with their barrels.

Picked up a local selection of HW Double Rye that was finished for 21 months in a used bourbon barrel. Bottled at 100 proof. Nice to see this local shop continuing to bring in unique selections and I was happy to pick up another of their selections. They're bringing in a Knob Creek SB next, looking forward to that one, they usually do a fine job with their barrels.

That HW Double Rye sounds pretty interesting! Look forward to some tasting notes on that one!

I had a very small sample in the store. Definitely need some more time with it. I will say for a 100 proof it's very easy drinking, there's definitely more of the 2 year in this than the 16 year. I also felt it picked up some of the bourbon characteristics from the used barrel. It cut out a lot of the "LDI" profile I expected. Looking forward to a proper pour though to see if my initial thoughts match my long term thoughts.

I did ask about some of the other options available from HW. I'd love to try one of the Ryes they're finishing in a sweet vermouth cask. He said if this goes as well as the other barrels he's done he's already asked about one of those.

While I like HW Rendezvous Rye better, HW Double Rye is a very good offering. I like the idea of additional "finishing" and offering it at a higher proof.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19462[/ATTACH]

Stumbled across this, picked up a couple bottles (I love the 2yr Rye). Can't seem to find anything about it online, anyone here know about it?

A Midwinter Nights Dram Act 2.2, Scene 565 for $79. I would be lying if I said the bottle and label didn't influence my decision to purchase this, but the outstanding reviews so far didn't hurt either. I am really excited to open this up.

A Saz jr. and Gun Powder Rye distilled in Portland Maine. Batch #3 87 proof aged less then 2 years. It was pricey but it's real local Rye product. Thought I give it a try.

Ted

Couldn't help myself, grabbed another HW A Midwinters Night Dram. Act 2-3 Scene 1870, in case anyone is keeping track. I really enjoy this stuff, glad to see it on some shelves still.

Couldn't help myself, grabbed another HW A Midwinters Night Dram. Act 2-3 Scene 1870, in case anyone is keeping track. I really enjoy this stuff, glad to see it on some shelves still.
A High West rep on one of the FB bourbon groups recently stated it would be an annual release from now on. That made me happy, as it's something different.

Not purchased, but received this as an anniversary present from my wonderful wife of 14 years:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19518[/ATTACH]

Sure sign she is a keeper! I'd show this to my wife, but don't want her to see the other threads :lol:

Purchased a Willett 2-year Rye. First time I have seen any Willett Family Estate bottles at all in NJ so curiosity got the best of me. A little pricey for a 2-year Rye though.

Hey, hey HW Midwinters Dram, Act 23, scene 1554.

The bottles I acquired a while back are all "Act 1". What I am seeing now are Act 2.3. Sounds like a SBS might be in order!

The bottles I acquired a while back are all "Act 1". What I am seeing now are Act 2.3. Sounds like a SBS might be in order!

I'm hoping Dave will have a bottle at Bill's from the more recent retail release, expressly for that purpose!

I picked up a bottle of A Midwinter Nights Dram, Act 2.2 Scene 574 for 39. At the price I couldn't pass it up.

At $39 I would have bought every bottle they had; sounds like they may have mis-priced it for the High West Double Rye or something? Great deal!!

My jaw hit the floor when i saw it. I thought when i got to the register it would be corrected but no. I did consider about buying the rest but I let my friends go for those bottles. Now it is time for a pour.

Grabbed 2x Rittenhouse BiB @ $16.99/each due to a pricing error. They fixed it but honored the price for me. Great customer service!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!