What rye did you purchase today? Fall/Winter 2014

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Whistle Pig. Store selection. $59.99. Looking forward to a side-by-side with Lock Stock & Barrel and Lot 40 tomorrow night.

MWND at $70. Was going to put some AE rye in a tasting, hopefully this is a good substitute.

Of course we all have different taste but IMHO MWND is 100% more better than AE and cost less, at least here anyway.

Hope you enjoy it as well.

Came upon a couple of Ritt BIB 354's. Didn't really need more but for reasons I can't fully explain, other than a brief but intense episode of WN, they ended up in my shopping cart...

Of course we all have different taste but IMHO MWND is 100% more better than AE and cost less, at least here anyway.

Hope you enjoy it as well.

I was hesitant because I really didn't enjoy AE Cask strength, so I was worried I just didn't enjoy port finishes. Cracked it last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. Finish definitely isn't as overpowering as AE Rye, but it is still sweet so I think it will finish off the tasting nicely.

Just grabbed a WFE 8-year rye at the Binny's by my work. Guy stocking the shelves was nice enough to let me know they had them behind the counter, otherwise I would have never seen it.

Whistle Pig. Store selection. $59.99. Looking forward to a side-by-side with Lock Stock & Barrel and Lot 40 tomorrow night.

Care to share where in NJ?

I picked one up at a Bottle King. If you have one near you, it might be worth a look.

Came upon a couple of Ritt BIB 354's. Didn't really need more but for reasons I can't fully explain, other than a brief but intense episode of WN, they ended up in my shopping cart...

I think we all understand and readily condone your actions, Bruce! :grin:

I picked one up at a Bottle King. If you have one near you, it might be worth a look.

Sorry for the long delay, just crazy at work. Yes, it was Bottle King. Needed a few days to smooth out. Did you happen to notice that they are the only place around that has Walking Stick?

Stumbled upon some Ritt BIB DSP-354 from a store I've never been to before. I've never had Ritt Rye, but my first impressions of this are very good.

Nice find. While the 354s were still around, I did a SBS with the DSP-1 and found that I preferred the 354. I bunkered several - all in the low $20s.

Bought a Ritt BiB just so I can use the $5 mail-in rebate that came in an email from HH earlier this week. Didn't hurt that the Ritt was only $17.89 to begin with.

So I had a lucky find today. I was in line waiting to check out at one of the stores I frequent, noticing the super high prices for the BTAC (Saz 18 for 599; GTS for 299) and Pappy on the back shelf, when I noticed the tag for the Thomas Handy for 99. I heard this years wasn't that great but I thought why not. Well when I got to the car I looked at the label and noticed the proof was 128.6 proof. It appears that I stumbled upon a 2011 Handy.

So I had a lucky find today. I was in line waiting to check out at one of the stores I frequent, noticing the super high prices for the BTAC (Saz 18 for 599; GTS for 299) and Pappy on the back shelf, when I noticed the tag for the Thomas Handy for 99. I heard this years wasn't that great but I thought why not. Well when I got to the car I looked at the label and noticed the proof was 128.6 proof. It appears that I stumbled upon a 2011 Handy.

Handy still kind of annoys me. It is after all just 6yo Baby Saz at barrel proof. Maybe they are hand selected "honey barrels" and maybe they aren't, who knows. But this is about the only one where the typical MSRP of $60-$70 is about as much as I am interested in paying. If MSRP is even higher than that now, which wouldn't surprise me, then it is pretty much one I am not interested in at all. It's good but it ain't that good!

Which likely means I am not buying much Handy in the future...

So I passed on a THH at $199.99 today. Would not pay that for any of the current BTAC let alone the Handy.

Currently have Mitcher's rye and Sazerac rye. I find both enjoyable. Whistle pig is one I really enjoy.

The current ryes over 2 yrs have all been MGPI. If it says "Distilled in Indiana" on the bottle that is a dead certainty.

Oh dear. That's too bad.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!