Origin of the Charred Barrel ??

bandit
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Interesting idea! We currently are in the midst of some rather indepth barrel experiments that had us trying everything imaginable (and some things that only Mark Brown could have dreamed up). I will update you guys in about 4 - 5 years.

Ken

I know the Scots often burn a sulpher "candle" inside a barrel to sanitize it. It also imparts a less than pleasing taste since sometimes the burning residue is deposited on the inside of the barrel and is therefore in contact with the aging whiskey for several years. Burning just seems an easier way to rid an old barrel of the scent of tobacco or fish or whatever the first barrels of bourbon held prior to being used to store whiskey.

Ken

It just seems to me, no matter what you do, if a barrel previously held fish, no amount of burning in this world could keep it from passing into the spirits. Maybe that analogy is to only serve as a bad example. I would hesitate to cook a steak over fish treated oak! puke.gif

Can you imagine the tasting notes?

Nose; Fresh Sea Bass, Perch.............

Bobby, I cannot recall where I read this, but I know that circa 1900 barrels of some Canadian whiskies were regularly found with detritus floating in them from prior uses and I recall the account stating barrels of whiskey contained things like chunks of salt pork! No doubt many whiskies were adulterated in this way, or by odors clinging to barrel staves, before barrel making and dumping pratices became what they are today. As lawyer once told me when I asked what it was like to work in buildings before air conditioning when it was 100 degrees F. outside, "man it was rough". smile.gif

Gary

I'm sure, Gary, that anything we can imagine and a few things we can't have happened. It just seems the cart is in front of the horse, probably a lot of good flavors could have been imparted had the barrel first been used to age Bourbon and then to store the smoked salmon, or salt cured pork. The reverse........ as you say, it was rough! lol.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.