What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2014?

bigtoys
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

CEHT rye tonight. Haven't had this in a while. Still like it a lot but am struggling with the price when I consider it's pretty darn close in price to Handy.

I do like that it's a unique mashbill.

Still like it a lot but am struggling with the price

This unfortunate statement is popping up in multiple threads and just shows where the market is going.

Had my first pour of Willett 2 yr last night and I was pleasantly surprised with the taste. At $35 it competes well with baby Saz and the 111.4 proof is right in my wheelhouse.

It won't be a go to because it was the first Willett I had seen in the wild. Baby Saz and RITTBIB are available all the time for the past six months so they have become my go to ryes.

This unfortunate statement is popping up in multiple threads and just shows where the market is going.

I think it shows where the market has gone, and that it is finally showing its fatigue point. When the purchases have buyer's remorse attached to them, we're on the verge of a change in consumption habits.

I think it shows where the market has gone, and that it is finally showing its fatigue point. When the purchases have buyer's remorse attached to them, we're on the verge of a change in consumption habits.

And my purchase was made a year ago before the near across the board price increases on many brands and when I was an undaunted CEHT apologist. I was at the beginning of the discovery journey back then. Now that I've tasted and owned a lot more bottles of different varieties, I find it hard to justify that price. I like it a lot, but there are far better options in the quality/price spectrum.

Killed off a JEP rye wih a big pour. This was pretty good, but I don't think I'm going to pay >$20 for 2 year old whiskey again.

Lock Stock & Barrel Rye. Not the greatest value by any measure, but truly a tasty pour. After a hard workout this morning followed by a great asian chicken salad wrap, this is really hitting the spot. Hmm, maybe one more before a take the dog for a walk.

Lock Stock & Barrel Rye. Not the greatest value by any measure, but truly a tasty pour. After a hard workout this morning followed by a great asian chicken salad wrap, this is really hitting the spot. Hmm, maybe one more before a take the dog for a walk.

Agree with the value statement but the LS&B is a great tasting rye.

I need to give this one another try. Liked it initially but it seemed to have faded with time after opening. Didn't fare well in comparison to several other ryes like WP and Jeff 10 last year and haven't opened it since.

As both WP and LSB are (I believe) Canadian juice, I think that would be an interesting head-to- head comparison. I did a Lot-40 2012 vs. Jefferson 10 last year and I found the the Lot 40 to be a superior rye to my taste buds.

Finally opened a bottle of Saz 18. Holy crap this stuff is good. Leather, hard candy, tropical fruit, tobacco leaf, baking spices and a loooooong finish.

I've been enjoying baby Saz, Lot 40 and AE all week and in no particular order. Probably will continue doing so until these bottles bleed out. The '12 Lot 40 is singing and I am bunkering up...

Finally opened a bottle of Saz 18. Holy crap this stuff is good. Leather, hard candy, tropical fruit, tobacco leaf, baking spices and a loooooong finish.

Is that this year's or a previous one? (I know they are essentially the same thing year to year).

I've been enjoying baby Saz, Lot 40 and AE all week and in no particular order. Probably will continue doing so until these bottles bleed out. The '12 Lot 40 is singing and I am bunkering up...

How do you compare the '12 Lot 40 to the baby Saz? When I first opened by Lot 40 I thought I would bunker as well but the more I drank it just seemed to mellow out. I mean don't get me wrong it was a good rye but just not quite as good as baby Saz or RITTBIB for that matter.

I may just have to pick up another bottle of the Lot 40 for scientific purposes.

How do you compare the '12 Lot 40 to the baby Saz? When I first opened by Lot 40 I thought I would bunker as well but the more I drank it just seemed to mellow out. I mean don't get me wrong it was a good rye but just not quite as good as baby Saz or RITTBIB for that matter.

I may just have to pick up another bottle of the Lot 40 for scientific purposes.

Feeling the same way as you, I sat the L40 down for a few days and then rebooted. While I love baby Saz, the lot 40 is perfectly balanced (dare I say neutral) in my book, while the baby Saz leans toward the sweet side.

Price wise, the baby Saz is a winner. Unfortunately, it is also a rare find here in the current environment which has forced me to evolve (I mean it used to just always be there and now I go months at a time without seeing it:hot:).

So, when I recently found a small honey hole of marked down for clearance '12 L40... that makes the L40 the current winner for me, while helping to ease the pain of the hard to come by/rarely seen in the wild baby Saz!

Edited by Paddy

Finished off my first bottle of Willet 2 yr old last night. Since I wasn't near home base when I got it I bought two at the time. For $35 not really bad but not really good either. Guess this is what most identify as being young. My $0.02.

Finished off my first bottle of Willet 2 yr old last night. Since I wasn't near home base when I got it I bought two at the time. For $35 not really bad but not really good either. Guess this is what most identify as being young. My $0.02.

I'm glad they released it for noobs like us to give it a go, but it's lingering here on the shelves now, which confirms fears expressed by many here that they may have released too much of it. I've got one but haven't opened it yet. I'm in the club that wishes they'd just let it come of age, instead of diminishing the stock too soon.

Edited by Paddy

Nice big pour of JEP NAS. Really love this rye - for the money, outside of Ritt BIB - I can't beat it. While bourbon this young doesn't do it for me, rye seems to do much better.

Nice big pour of JEP NAS. Really love this rye - for the money, outside of Ritt BIB - I can't beat it. While bourbon this young doesn't do it for me, rye seems to do much better.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!