What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2014?

bigtoys
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My initial infatuation with LDI/MGP rye has waned. Too smooth, too sterile. But I will continue to recommend Templeton to the uninitiated.

I'm pulling a 180 on some of the ryes I didn't initially like. I'm into Knob Creek rye lately. Its big flavor is a kick in the teeth, full of complexity and heat. And at $26, it's a great value. I put it a few notches above forum favorites Saz 6 and Rittenhouse.

Other than that, liking Whistle Pig quite a bit, but I don't like paying $64.

Wish I could find more Jefferson 10 - almost as good as Whistle Pig at just over half the price. It's gone missing here in California.

I thought the JEP rye was age-stated at 2 years. Is there a different bottling out there?

You are correct, it states "Aged over 2 years" in fine print on the back (which I've always assumed meant 2 yrs + 1 day :lol:) As a straight rye, that is as close to NAS as it could get though :)

My initial infatuation with LDI/MGP rye has waned. Too smooth, too sterile. But I will continue to recommend Templeton to the uninitiated.

I'm pulling a 180 on some of the ryes I didn't initially like. I'm into Knob Creek rye lately. Its big flavor is a kick in the teeth, full of complexity and heat. And at $26, it's a great value. I put it a few notches above forum favorites Saz 6 and Rittenhouse.

Other than that, liking Whistle Pig quite a bit, but I don't like paying $64.

Wish I could find more Jefferson 10 - almost as good as Whistle Pig at just over half the price. It's gone missing here in California.

I agree with you on preferring the KCR over both baby saz and Ritt BiB but I see it at $35-40 at most places around here making the other two much more likely to be purchased in the $22-27 range.

Funny how that works. I can get Knob Creek rye for $26 and Baby Saz for not less than $35.

I can get Baby Saz and JEP for $31.99 but I have to go to $44.99 for KCR and Jeff 10 so I haven't bought any bottles of the latter in over a year. Of course RITTBIB @ $19.99 is a winner!

Current (new label) Rittenhouse Bonded. This is amazingly good, the best Rittenhouse I've ever had. Tremendous depth of flavour, nutty/grainy/sweet, yet elegant and refined at 50% ABV. There is the faintest barnyard in the nose which adds complexity but isn't strong enough to be a negative. I've had other ryes and bourbons with this note and always wonder where it comes from. Once, a Lot B had it - rather too much of it. I assume it is a distillery flavour, vs. exposure of barrels to wind currents from manured fields, say, but another possibility is a "fault" in some of the barrel staves, perhaps a fungus or something like that.

It all contrives to make great whiskey, let's put it that way.

Net net, DSP 1 has the edge on the previous distilleries.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

Very cool. How can you identify a new one? Didn't they change the label or something? I haven't been able to get to a liquor store for some time.

Very cool. How can you identify a new one? Didn't they change the label or something? I haven't been able to get to a liquor store for some time.

The new Ritt Rye label is fairly different from the older black label used when B-F (DSP 354) made it. HH kept the old label for awhile after it changed over to DSP 1 but in recent months have come out with a new label that is somewhat of a nod to a much older label.

post-8493-14489821777796_thumb.jpg

Seems to be a lot of talk that the flavor profile of the new DSP 1 has been evolving over the months since the switch to DSP 1. Will have to try an old label DSP 1 versus the new label.

Current (new label) Rittenhouse Bonded. This is amazingly good, the best Rittenhouse I've ever had. Tremendous depth of flavour, nutty/grainy/sweet, yet elegant and refined at 50% ABV. There is the faintest barnyard in the nose which adds complexity but isn't strong enough to be a negative. I've had other ryes and bourbons with this note and always wonder where it comes from. Once, a Lot B had it - rather too much of it. I assume it is a distillery flavour, vs. exposure of barrels to wind currents from manured fields, say, but another possibility is a "fault" in some of the barrel staves, perhaps a fungus or something like that.

It all contrives to make great whiskey, let's put it that way.

Net net, DSP 1 has the edge on the previous distilleries.

Gary

Glad to hear this, and thank you for sharing Gary.:bowdown:

I've got one on deck, just as soon as I knock out the L40, baby Saz and AE rye's that I've been wearing out of late.:grin:

The new Ritt Rye label is fairly different from the older black label used when B-F (DSP 354) made it. HH kept the old label for awhile after it changed over to DSP 1 but in recent months have come out with a new label that is somewhat of a nod to a much older label.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19890[/ATTACH]

Seems to be a lot of talk that the flavor profile of the new DSP 1 has been evolving over the months since the switch to DSP 1. Will have to try an old label DSP 1 versus the new label.

Thanks. That pic is what I needed. I've got an old label DSP1, will have to keep an eye out for the new one when I return to land.

Cracked open the Collingwood 21yr. Not blowing my hair back, but quite happy with it for the money.

Couple hours later, moved on to some HW MND, and some SAOS 8yr. Loving me some rye on a sunny Saturday!

Edited by darylld911

Cracked open the Collingwood 21yr. Not blowing my hair back, but quite happy with it for the money.

Couple hours later, moved on to some HW MND, and some SAOS 8yr. Loving me some rye on a sunny Saturday!

Polished off baby Saz and a Lot 40 last night and moved onto AE tonight. Nice change of pace with this rum infused gingerbread spice bomb...

I don't reach for rye very often, but last night, I had some HW Double Rye and WT rye 101. I know the 101 is quite popular, but I preffered the HW last night.

I like the CW 21y, but what I really like about it is using it for blending with young high proof ryes. It usually adds some good older rye notes.

Great minds :lol: I took some yesterday afternoon and blended with WFER 4yr, and will sample that later today. It feels like it has that potential to create something better than the sum of the parts.

I have to admit the bottle is cool looking and that tempts me because I'm a sucker for good graphics. I've never pulled the trigger though because of the price. I bet it's really good and I bet I'll like it, but do you think it's worth the price? Is it considerably better than the standard 10 yr expression in your opinion?

Jumping in here, but I love it! The only problem I have is it's not $100 better than the standard IMO, which usually leaves me drinking the standard 100 proof verson (especially if I can catch is on a markdown).

If you do try and/or end up enjoying the BH, just remember that it is a single barrel, so each batch will have some variances.

Thanks for jumping in Paddy! Good reminder that it's single barrel. The bar next to my office just got this so I'll have to give it a try to satisfy my curiosity. Better than risking it on an entire bottle.

Thanks for jumping in Paddy! Good reminder that it's single barrel. The bar next to my office just got this so I'll have to give it a try to satisfy my curiosity. Better than risking it on an entire bottle.

That's a great call! Hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Speaking of... :grin:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!