What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2014?

bigtoys
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm with Paddy, it is over priced. I felt a little obligated to get one mainly because the store I got it from ask my opinion about it, and I told them I thought it would be a very good high end rye to get for the Hollidays. I'm glad I got it (and it is a very cool bottle). I like it a lot more than the 10y.

I didn't buy this one and I buy EVERYTHING!!! :cool:

I did buy the first Boss Hog which was a little bit less (not enough to make it a deal but still) and I have since tried them side by side. Both are better than the 10yo (an early one that actually admits to being from Canada) but neither is worth the excessive increase in price. More importantly, flying pig stopper aside, I thought the first Boss Hog was better than the latest one. Now, as noted, it is a single barrel product (presuming anything WP claims can be believed) so maybe that explains it but to me, at $170 give or take, it is at least $50 overpriced at a minimum.

I tried this at the local watering hole and I have to say it's pretty darn good. I like it waaaay better than the standard 10yr expression. Hard to say that it's worth the up charge, but I can get it for $169, no tax. Might be worth a one time purchase.

I tried this at the local watering hole and I have to say it's pretty darn good. I like it waaaay better than the standard 10yr expression. Hard to say that it's worth the up charge, but I can get it for $169, no tax. Might be worth a one time purchase.

After being on the wagon for over a week now, getting back off with a nice pour of HWMND.

The flu and crap is rearing it ugly head round here, and the slight syrupy-ness of this is hitting it right, the extra sweetness is a bonus too as I know my taste is still pretty off.

B

Saz 18........dang.......fantastic. Only had this once before at a bar in a rocks glass. Here at home out of my freshly purchased bottle, in a glencairn, much better than I remember.

JPS 21yr. Bought this a year ago and just now opened it. Hmmmm..... I taste the oak, but in a pure way. Not the filtered way that I get with the JPS bourbon and the Orphan Barrels. This is more interesting. Might be OK, but need to let it open up a bit to see how the flavors decide to settle in and balance out.

Willett 4 Yr/110pf last evening. Still have a few bottles of the 'old' Willett LDI rye, and it never disappoints. Really flavorful, delicious rye, and they were not unreasonable around $30-$35 a bottle.

After a bourbon morning and afternoon switching things up with a 3 finger pour of MWND. The color on this is as deep and rich as the flavor.

Thanks High West.

Sipping on some Old Potrero Straight Rye. Pretty tasty!

Is that the 2 1/2 year old..... I've seen it but thought it might be to young.

Merry Christmas too all of ya!

I started out Christmas Eve with a Glendronach 1993 #3 and then kicked off Christmas Day presents opening with my annual pour out of a bottle of Very Olde St. Nick 18 yr Rye

15480377073_934fe9a214_z.jpg

15486830904_e8732dc6a4_z.jpg

Hope everyone is enjoying time with family and friends in good health!

Saz 18........dang.......fantastic. Only had this once before at a bar in a rocks glass. Here at home out of my freshly purchased bottle, in a glencairn, much better than I remember.

Nice score dude!

The holiday spirit calls for HWMWND. This is feeling like a rye night to me so Handy will work it's way into the mix at some point.

As predicted, the finished with '14 Handy. It's not as good as the '13 or the '12, but it's still a dang fine pour that I'm very happy to have. Something about the Sazerac rye mashbill just works for me to a much greater extent than other ryes. Baby Saz and Handy alway bring a smile to my face.

It's a rye night for me... Having some HW Rendezvous Rye. This is a realy good rye. Very smooth with some light gingerbread spice.

post-9285-14489821841016_thumb.jpg

Having some Rough Riders Bull Moose rye tonight. Had never heard of it before but got it as a Christmas present and it's not bad.

Finished off a bottle of LSB Rye and started a new bottle of Lot 40 2012. Really notice more vanilla in the Lot 40. If I can find the LSB for a decent price, I will buy another.

Quite a night of sampling a wide variety of whiskeys. On the rye side: a Canadian Club 100% rye at 80 proof, an Old Overholt from the '80s which was fantastic, and an Old Man Winter 18yr old (an old KBD bottling from years ago) which was.......strange - musty and very oak forward.

Finished off a bottle of LSB Rye and started a new bottle of Lot 40 2012. Really notice more vanilla in the Lot 40. If I can find the LSB for a decent price, I will buy another.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!