What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2014?

bigtoys
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got home from work yesterday just as the snow was starting and decided it would be a rye night of WT & RITT. Wife decided we would start a marathon of "house of cards" for next weeks season 3 release.

Damgum but the glasses they are using in the show are my favorites!

Enjoyed a three finger blending of Ritt BIB and WP (@ roughly 50/50). Wondering now why I've waited so long...

Enjoyed a three finger blending of Ritt BIB and WP (@ roughly 50/50). Wondering now why I've waited so long...

Did you come up with this Paddy, or is this a generally known forum-recommended blending recipe? How was it?

Did you come up with this Paddy, or is this a generally known forum-recommended blending recipe? How was it?

I really have no idea if anyone else has been doing this, but surely someone out there must be.

I have to say that it truly brings the best of both to bear. I went with another three fingers again tonight, and it was fantastic!

I really have no idea if anyone else has been doing this, but surely someone out there must be.

I have to say that it truly brings the best of both to bear. I went with another three fingers again tonight, and it was fantastic!

Yeah.....I'm gonna try this. Rit BIB doesn't really do it for me. WP is OK, but doesn't really excite me. So, if this mixture makes them both better, I'm game to give it a shot and find out.

Very cool. So, what'll it be? Rittlepig, or Whistlehouse?

I kinda like the Rittlepig! I look forward to your impressions...

Sipping some Baby Saz this evening - find it amusing it's in the locked case for $23.99 lol. I'm liking it so far

At least they didn't jack up the price when they put it in the locked case. One of the chains here wants $50 for it.

Sipping some Baby Saz this evening - find it amusing it's in the locked case for $23.99 lol. I'm liking it so far

That ain't a bad price. The average price in my neck of the woods is $32.99 or more.

Made a mingle of Collingwood 21yr and WFER 4 yr. 95 proof rye with some lovely oak influence as well as that feisty young-rye punch. Thinking this has earned a larger vatting than the 2oz test sample - just delicious! I can honestly say - I think I prefer this over either of the components individually!

High West MWND Act 2.2, Scene 565. There's a lot going on here. The french oak and port definitely make their presence known, but in a good way. This works on a level I haven't seen from finished bourbon. Nose is port heavy with nice rye spice. Taste is a bit closed off at first, but opens up after a few minutes in the glass with some great vanilla, rye spice, and what I assume is the french oak. Lots of juicy red fruits. The arrival is pretty brief, but the development is quite long, and the finish is extraordinarily long, with heavy rye spice and sweet port dominating. While this could easily be discordant, it actually works really well. Believe it or not, I think this is nicer than quite a few port aged malts I've had. Good job High West! I'll definitely buy another bottle if they continue this as an annual release. This would be great to open over the holidays, and is definitely warming me up after a long hike in the cold today.

That ain't a bad price. The average price in my neck of the woods is $32.99 or more.

Wow $23.99 I would have cleaned them out. RITTBIB while watching House of Cards season 3 with MrsTT.

Tried some Redemption Barrel Proof 7yr (didn't catch the batch #), which was nice - although not a significant departure from the 6yr. Was hoping they would be pouring the 10yr, but no luck (although also tried the Redemption White Rye, which was interesting if you like white dog). I do find that rye white dog appeals to me more than bourbon white dog.

I kinda like the Rittlepig! I look forward to your impressions...

Hot damn Paddy, I gotta hand it to you for suggesting this one. I got this bottle of Ritt BIB that just doesn't do it for me despite multiple tries (I'm sorry Harry and TT, don't hate me). I got this bottle of Whistle Pig that is simply OK but not good enough to make me want to go back to it so I've had it for more than a year. I just tried a 50:50 blend and it totally works. I now have a plan for the rest of these two bottles.

Update to what i posted in the wgat i bought today thread:just cracked open and tasted OWA for the first time. Coming from MM THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! sorry for the all caps but this stuff is good!

Hot damn Paddy, I gotta hand it to you for suggesting this one. I got this bottle of Ritt BIB that just doesn't do it for me despite multiple tries (I'm sorry Harry and TT, don't hate me). I got this bottle of Whistle Pig that is simply OK but not good enough to make me want to go back to it so I've had it for more than a year. I just tried a 50:50 blend and it totally works. I now have a plan for the rest of these two bottles.

Glad it isn't just me! I'm totally sold on it, to the point of making this one of the house blends.

I think the WP adds a little zing to the Ritt, while the Ritt brings down the dry wood of the pig, so I get the best of both in harmony.

If WP were cheaper, I think we'd finally have an SB Rye Blend. Then again, you can actually walk into a store in many states and purchase both of these whiskies, unlike w12.

No apologies necessary. It does sound like an intriguing blend but @ $89 for std WP I'll have to pass. Oh and now both Boss Hog bottles carry the $199 sticker, jeez.

No apologies necessary. It does sound like an intriguing blend but @ $89 for std WP I'll have to pass. Oh and now both Boss Hog bottles carry the $199 sticker, jeez.

No doubt. Given the price WP, this is not one I'd intentionally look to repeat. It does make me wonder what available and affordable rye you could vat with Ritt for a similar result. Dickel?

No doubt. Given the price WP, this is not one I'd intentionally look to repeat. It does make me wonder what available and affordable rye you could vat with Ritt for a similar result. Dickel?

That's good thought and the new JB green label whenever it shows up.

I'll certainly give it a go. The only thing we may lose it the depth of woodiness that the extra age on the WP brings to bear.

If it doesn't work, I can live with the vatting of WP and Ritt, as there's enough to like here for me.

Yes, it's an expensive vat, but blending will stretch both out enough to make it worth it for me. I can get the WP for 80 and the Ritt for 30 here, so a 50/50 vat will come in at 55, with a better result than a lot of more expensive rye's IMO.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!