What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2014?

bigtoys
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yes it is and my average price would be $56.

I think y'all have talked me into this.

The sum of two is not always better than each individually.

I tried the Dickel/Ritt last night at 50/50. I really like Dickel, but the vat didn't add anything here as the MGP profile just took over. For good measure, I also had some Dickel and Ritt separately.:grin:

Just talking to myself, I really don't think the lower proof of the Dickel hurt any, but maybe the loss of age combined with the heavy rye zing of the MGP profile.?.

I'm definately going to play around with some others, but really feel that I've hit on something special with the Ritt/WP.

It's always a good day when you can make two already good 10 yr old/100 proof rye's even better!

I tried the Dickel/Ritt last night at 50/50. I really like Dickel, but the vat didn't add anything here as the MGP profile just took over. For good measure, I also had some Dickel and Ritt separately.:grin:

Just talking to myself, I really don't think the lower proof of the Dickel hurt any, but maybe the loss of age combined with the heavy rye zing of the MGP profile.?.

I'm definately going to play around with some others, but really feel that I've hit on something special with the Ritt/WP.

It's always a good day when you can make two already good 10 yr old/100 proof rye's even better!

I bought a bottle of Ritt and WP along with a bottle of Willet 2 yr. Haven't opened any of them yet, but it sounds like I should open the WP and Ritt first. I haven't been a huge fan of Rye's in the past, as I tend to like a balance of sweet and spice, and I struggle to get that out of most of the Rye's I've had. I love the bottle of Rendezvous Rye I have open, but I need more than one go to for rye. I wasn't a big fan of the Russell 6 yr. It was just ok. Good for cocktails, but I'd rather sip on something else.

I bought a bottle of Ritt and WP along with a bottle of Willet 2 yr. Haven't opened any of them yet, but it sounds like I should open the WP and Ritt first. I haven't been a huge fan of Rye's in the past, as I tend to like a balance of sweet and spice, and I struggle to get that out of most of the Rye's I've had. I love the bottle of Rendezvous Rye I have open, but I need more than one go to for rye. I wasn't a big fan of the Russell 6 yr. It was just ok. Good for cocktails, but I'd rather sip on something else.

As you know, the Ritt is a great go to. I also love Dickel, as it's the MGP profile we all like and friendly on the wallet. I also love WP....heck, I like them all!:lol:

Please let us know what YOU think!

As you know, the Ritt is a great go to. I also love Dickel, as it's the MGP profile we all like and friendly on the wallet. I also love WP....heck, I like them all!:lol:

Please let us know what YOU think!

Ya, Ritt is a go to for almost every craft cocktail bar I've gone into over the last 2 years. I have a bottle of the Hand Select 9 yr Dickel (which I'm a fan of), but I've never tried the regular Rye. Maybe if this leaves me begging for more, I'll give another contender a shot. I think I have 3 great options right now though with the RBIB, WP, and Willet 2 yr. A little worried about how young the Willet is, but I've been suprised by the youngins before, so we'll see.

Another Collingwood 21yr + WFER 4yr mingle; still strong so making a half-bottle mingle :yum:

I tried the Dickel/Ritt last night at 50/50...the MGP profile just took over...the heavy rye zing of the MGP profile.?

Thanks for giving it a go! I don't have any Dickel on hand and I used the rest of my Ritt in the 50:50 with the WP so you saved me the immediate need to run out and buy two bottles.......(wait just a sec, just how intact is my whiskerexia nervosa anyway?)

So I tried a different one that's working pretty good, but it's not pure. I had some 2:1 ER10 and WP that I mixed up to simulate VWFRR per the other thread. It was too sweet for me an not working and didn't taste try enough so I added more WP. Still not right. It needed some heft so I thought, what the heck, I'll add a little ECBP. Bingo! Problem is, I have no clue what the proportions are at this point. Just means more experimentation is required.

^ Bingo as in you've gotten closer to VWFRR, or just found a new and pleasing blend? Either is good news, but the former would be just a little bit better... :)

I'm not a big fan of Rittenhouse, but I'll give the Whistle Pig mix a try as I've got more than a bottle of both on hand. It will give me a change of pace from the Willett 2 yr and WT 101 that have become my go-to ryes.

^ Bingo as in you've gotten closer to VWFRR, or just found a new and pleasing blend? Either is good news, but the former would be just a little bit better... :)

I'll go with a "new and pleasing blend". There is some similarity to the VWFRR, but not enough to call it a substitute. I am now out of my WP/ER10 blend that I was adding ECBP to so that experimentation is over for now. However, I do have the WP Boss Hogg 13yr that I intend to experiment more with.

On the heels of my success adding ECBP to a rye, I tried it with '12 Lot 40 (which I just don't like). This combo was not as successful.

Almost 8:00 PM and the Weather Channel says it's still 70* so having some RITTBIB with some Slow & Low over ice. It is supposed to be 30* @ 7:00 AM with a chance of ice, sleet or snow.

Ready for spring!

Mixed 2 fingers of Ritt with 1 of Michters. I like it a bunch. Tomorrow, I might try 50/50.

I've had these before:

Bulleit Frontier Rye (Not bad, but most likely will not buy again)

High West Double Rye (This one is pretty good, but overpriced, would buy again though)

High West Son Of Bourye (Not too bad, might revisit)

High West Whiskey - Rocky Mountain Rye - 21 Year Old (This one was very very good, but discontinued, overpriced, might buy again)

I picked up some Sazerac Rye, where would it be compared to the above?

Sipping Handy while enjoying a little quiet time in the house. Started neat, and now with a few drops added.

I've had these before:

Bulleit Frontier Rye (Not bad, but most likely will not buy again)

High West Double Rye (This one is pretty good, but overpriced, would buy again though)

High West Son Of Bourye (Not too bad, might revisit)

High West Whiskey - Rocky Mountain Rye - 21 Year Old (This one was very very good, but discontinued, overpriced, might buy again)

I picked up some Sazerac Rye, where would it be compared to the above?

Well since you've already bought it, why not find out for yourself? Sazerac has corn in the mashbill, so it's a bit closer to bourbon than the Bulleit or the Double Rye, but still has some nice rye spice/herbal notes. At 90 proof and 6ish years it's a nice easy sipper.

Well since you've already bought it, why not find out for yourself? Sazerac has corn in the mashbill, so it's a bit closer to bourbon than the Bulleit or the Double Rye, but still has some nice rye spice/herbal notes. At 90 proof and 6ish years it's a nice easy sipper.

Well, having a nice pour of Sazerac Rye 6 Year Old (Baby Saz) (90 Proof), pretty tasty. Just might buy this one again.

Well, having a nice pour of Sazerac Rye 6 Year Old (Baby Saz) (90 Proof), pretty tasty. Just might buy this one again.

When I can find it close to MSRP I grab one.

Doing a flight of 80s...early 90s ryes: OO, Ritt, and Beam. Funny thing is that I don't like current Beam or OO but love the older stuff.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!