What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2014?

bigtoys
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Cracked a local SAOS 8yr rye. Really can't wait for this lingering head cold to clear so I can fully appreciate my whiskey, but even a bit stuffy I am loving this one. Reminds me of Redemption BP Rye as the orange/citrus flavor is front and center, but a lovely pour. Started to head out to buy another for the bunker when I recalled my New Year's Resolution :lol:

I found LSB for $95.99 here in NJ. My son is home from college and the LSB really turned him on to rye, so I wanted to get another to enjoy with him before he goes back. Digging through the bunker for a bottle of Whistle Pig to sit up a side by side tasting between LSB, Lot 40 and Whistle Pig. Should be interesting. Will post notes.

Cracked open my first ever bottle of Baby Saz. I've had it at bars before and really like it. Most ryes I have to be in the mood for, and that mood doesn't strike nearly as much as the bourbon mood does. Bottles of rye can last a long time at my house. This one though seems to work all the time. First pour was a little too heavy on the barrel char notes but that's fading the more I let it sit.

High West MWND Act 2.7. First pour from a new bottle. My first experience with this expression. I wasn't ready in the same way I wasn't ready for the Angels Envy Rye. I liked it more by the end of the glass but... I tried it with two ice cubes in a Canadian glencairn. Didn't go back for more. I have been on a rye bender and I think my brain was looking for a traditional rye profile. Will give it another shot tomorrow.

El Vino, I haven't tried MWD, but I can be the same way with Angel's Envy - sometimes I love it, sometimes not.

Did you get around to your side by side LSB vs WP?

El Vino, I haven't tried MWD, but I can be the same way with Angel's Envy - sometimes I love it, sometimes not.

Did you get around to your side by side LSB vs WP?

Hedonist: I could not find the WP in the bunker, so stopping to buy one on my way home from work tonight.

Having a sbs with RITTBIB & WTR101. The WT is winning maybe because it just tastes a little unique. Whatever they are both fine economical ryes.

Some WFER 4yr - such a shame they keep pushing the prices on this up, but thankful that there are other high proof rye offerings on the shelves these days!

Having a sbs with RITTBIB & WTR101. The WT is winning maybe because it just tastes a little unique. Whatever they are both fine economical ryes.

I'll take WT101 over Rittenhouse 8 days a week. No contest.

Just poured the last of a Ritt 354. The price sticker says I paid $15.99. Man, I miss those days

Baby Saz. Strange bottle. A month ago I disliked it, didn't live up to past expectations.

Tonight, it's a different bottle, still different than expectations of past bottles, but now there is a slight, but still there resemblance to its older brother.

Granted, totally different makeup of the two, but something oddly similar is there.

Even odder is that I get a whiff of resemblance to something completely different, which is my taste memory of a 1950's VOF.

Strange indeed

B

Enjoying some Ritt tonight.

I've been off the rye for a few weeks, but decided to continue the HH kick I've been on of late with a old friend. Glad I did!

Cracked a local SAOS 8yr rye. Really can't wait for this lingering head cold to clear so I can fully appreciate my whiskey, but even a bit stuffy I am loving this one. Reminds me of Redemption BP Rye as the orange/citrus flavor is front and center, but a lovely pour. Started to head out to buy another for the bunker when I recalled my New Year's Resolution :lol:

DPS or did another local do a barrel selection?

Just poured the last of a Ritt 354. The price sticker says I paid $15.99. Man, I miss those days

Don't we all? :rolleyes: I have yet to try the DSP KY-1 version, but regardless of how good it might be it will never be the bargain it once was.

Another local (Sherlocks).

I guess I'll have to get over to that side of town to try it, I think DPS finally sold their last bottle from their barrel and I bought probably close to a dozen of them. Ldi rye shines at barrel proof.

Capping off Monday night with some JEP 2yr. Should have done a blind sbs with this and the Willett 2yr, as off hand I'm not sure which I would prefer (although the Willett had some extra proof points in its corner).

Capping off Monday night with some JEP 2yr. Should have done a blind sbs with this and the Willett 2yr, as off hand I'm not sure which I would prefer (although the Willett had some extra proof points in its corner).

JEP hands down IMHO.

Having some DSP 1 Ritt. Can't really tell much difference in the old vs new... but admittedly, I don't have any 354 for a SBS at present.

Had a few pours of Crown Royal single barrel Rye last night. A really pleasant surprise, sure didn't see that one coming.

Started the evening off with a nice pour of WP. It's definitely not the value pour, but I sure do like it! :D

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!