What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2014?

bigtoys
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started the evening off with a nice pour of WP. It's definitely not the value pour, but I sure do like it! :D

I'm seeing local liquor stores price it at $95.

Since its probably been a year, and it's getting so much love lately, time to crack one

post-7672-14489821904369_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil T

Just polished off High West Double Rye. Interesting because of the botanicals, but there was just something I couldn't come to terms with. The last half of the bottle was definitely better than the first. Won't be replacing this any time soon.

Just polished off High West Double Rye. Interesting because of the botanicals, but there was just something I couldn't come to terms with. The last half of the bottle was definitely better than the first. Won't be replacing this any time soon.

Ha! Came here to say the same thing. Finished off my 375 on a death star ice ball and liked it better on the rocks. I had a swig of WT101 rye to compare and liked that one a lot more.

Ha! Came here to say the same thing. Finished off my 375 on a death star ice ball and liked it better on the rocks. I had a swig of WT101 rye to compare and liked that one a lot more.

Agreed. The Rendezvous is worth the price difference.

This DSP-1 Rittenhouse BIB continues to dazzle me. Gorgeous clove and herbal qualities. :yum:

HW Rendezvous Rye Barrel Select (Manhattan finish). Pretty darn good!

The barrel previously had their barrel aged Manhattean in it which is made with Vya vermouth. Reminds me I need to try this unique vermouth more often. Had a few tasty cocktails made with it and so bought a bottle but have never opened it.

Having some Rendezvous Rye tonight. Didn't like it that much a few days ago, love it tonight.

Last night I had SAOS 7yr, JEP, & WT101R. Need to pick up another bottle of WT.

I picked up 10 bottles of WT101 in a mad tear when I saw that inventories are slipping / vanishing from the online vendors in California.

Still on a tear of RITTBIB, JEP, and SAOS. They all different but very good and a h*** of a great buy.

Still on a tear of RITTBIB, JEP, and SAOS. They all different but very good and a h*** of a great buy.

Ain't that the truth!

Last night saw my JEP hit the recycling bin after a final pour :yum:

Had a hankerin' for holiday spice and thought 'what better than Christmas in a bottle?' - so poured some HW MND to celebrate this fine Friday afternoon! TGIF! :toast:

Had a hankerin' for holiday spice and thought 'what better than Christmas in a bottle?' - so poured some HW MND to celebrate this fine Friday afternoon! TGIF! :toast:

This afternoon, did a quick blind sbs with the 2014 THH and a local SAOS 8yr rye. I was pleasantly surprised that I preferred the SAOS over the THH (and I'm a big THH fan). In fact, after picking which I liked best, I guessed that it was the THH. Granted - one tasting is not conclusive, but I'm definitely going back for another bottle of that SAOS. Just a lovely, citrusy-sweet spice going on!

This afternoon, did a quick blind sbs with the 2014 THH and a local SAOS 8yr rye. I was pleasantly surprised that I preferred the SAOS over the THH (and I'm a big THH fan). In fact, after picking which I liked best, I guessed that it was the THH. Granted - one tasting is not conclusive, but I'm definitely going back for another bottle of that SAOS. Just a lovely, citrusy-sweet spice going on!

Gary, assume the SAOS was barrel proof, no?

Had some George Dickel rye for the first time today and have to say it's a great version of the MGP recipe. A nice surprise was when the bartender said they were trying to get rid of it and were only charging $1 a shot. Her extremely generous free-hand pour told me she wanted it gone asap as I got at least 4 oz. for the huge sum of $3. Once in awhile....... :grin:

I developed some insight into Sazerac recipes lately and have been rotating between Sazerac rye and Ritt BIB the past month or so. What a wonderful cocktail and the two ryes are outstanding. Ritt gives the proof, Sazerac adds extra wood to the mix. And the winner is......... Saz by a nose.

Gary, assume the SAOS was barrel proof, no?

Yes - sorry, should have spelled out the specs. 122 proof, so 7.2 proof lower than the THH. Thinking back on it, there is clearly a similarity to the Redemption BP Rye (at least the Batch 3 that I have), which might have tipped the hand to which was which - but thankfully I didn't think too hard on it and just thought about which I actually liked more.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!