Canadian Club Chairman's Select 100% Rye

WhiskyToWhiskey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well...I asked CC on what exact barrel were used. The response;

CC 100% Rye is produced in heavily charred new American white oak barrels. Any other questions, please let us know!

Cheers!

The CC Team

Well, thanks for checking that! I never would have thought this, but perhaps it adds that special quality which explains why I like this so much.

Gary

This CC 100% Rye is amazing at 80 proof. Only Alberta Distillers Limited could make and age a whisky that is better than any recent ADL production. This is the same distillery that sold 25 YO 100% rye at $30 in 2006 and 30 YO at $50 in 2011 . The renaissance in Canadian whisky making continues. Perhaps this 7 YO Virgin Oak expression is a precursor for older releases. It is indeed promising to see Beam Suntory make use of their vast resources and employ a cross-functional team to exploit their in-house expertise: R&D in Kentucky, Production in Alberta, and Marketing and Distribution in Ontario...now, if only they would let this whisky flow across the border.

This CC 100% Rye is amazing at 80 proof. Only Alberta Distillers Limited could make and age a whisky that is better than any recent ADL production. This is the same distillery that sold 25 YO 100% rye at $30 in 2006 and 30 YO at $50 in 2011 . The renaissance in Canadian whisky making continues. Perhaps this 7 YO Virgin Oak expression is a precursor for older releases. It is indeed promising to see Beam Suntory make use of their vast resources and employ a cross-functional team to exploit their in-house expertise: R&D in Kentucky, Production in Alberta, and Marketing and Distribution in Ontario...now, if only they would let this whisky flow across the border.

All well put, except I'd view the CC rye more as a sequel (despite the inversion of ages) to Whistlepig, Jefferson rye and that group. It may very well be the same whisky, just at a younger age.

Gary

I would love to see more expressions under the AP brand:

different proofs, different ages, single barrels, etc

Ohhh - that would be very interesting...

Hey Frodo, long time no talk. Did you try this? Would be interested in your take.

Gary

I attended a blind tasting tonight of three whiskies. For one I guessed Alberta Premium 30 years 100% rye (the room was softly lit - colour was not a telltale sign) and I was blown away to find out it was Canadian Club Chairman's Select 100% Rye (7 YO Alberta rye). The new oak has a huge impact...not surprising. Dr. Don (of Walkerton) once told me that 6 months in new oak = 10 years in a once used bourbon barrel. It probably won't be long before Crown Royal joins the act - David Broom has encouraged them to share with us some of their great rye distillate.

I think what has happened here is the new charred barrel achieved its ideal, perfect maturation of the rye mash, without giving an "inch" more of its character than needed. In other words, the tell-tell smoky note, and scent left on the empty glass, are barely evident here. Bourbon maturation too in the past has been described as perfect at 4-8 years. All here have had bourbon that has similar characteristics to this new CC rye, where you get a near-perfect melding of congeneric tastes and mellow tones from the barrel but no apparent charred wood notes. (Everyone recall: Very Old Barton, 6 years old, was called "very old", a long time ago, for a reason).

It is well-known that charred barrel aging has an "active" result another container will not, or rather will not as soon. I've had some very long-aged rye mashes that were excellent too but you need to wait all those extra years. And the result still does not quite have a straight character.

Collingwood 21 years old was a rye mash very long aged in reused wood (this is an assumption but I view it as a near certainty), and it came out very well. Something about the Canadian climate, despite any climate control of the warehouses, may contribute to relatively long aging periods not over-aging the product. E.g. at 7 years aging in Kentucky, a straight rye would have much more impact than the new CC. Other factors may be at play here, e.g. we don't know at what proof the distillate was entered at Alberta Distillers for aging.

Anyway, this one's a winner, one of the best of the new crop of rye flavouring whiskeys or whiskeys informed by that character.

Just for the record, I want to credit the late Michael Jackson, the famous beer and whisky writer, with being the first, as far as I know, to call for Canadian distilleries to release their flavouring whiskies uncut to the public. (After I joined this board in 2002, I asked for the same thing many times in posts here, because I had read in Michael's books the suggestion). Other whiskey writers made a similar request, but all after Michael's "The World Guide To Whisky" (late 1980's) as far as I know.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

Anyway, this one's a winner, one of the best of the new crop of rye flavouring whiskeys ...

Gary

Despite being a big critic of Canadian Whisky industry, I have to agree with this.

I am however disappointed that:

- it wasn't released under the Alberta Premium label (to make it a "single distillery" brand)

- a few extra proof points to compare with Lot no 40 (43%-46% would have been nice)

- free of E150a

- more information on the label (although we know trough hearsay that this is AP distilled and aged, like the shenanigans of American NDPs, the label implies that it was produced in Walkerville, Ont)

Edited by portwood
Walkerville, not Walkerton

I think what has happened here is the new charred barrel achieved its ideal, perfect maturation of the rye mash, without giving an "inch" more of its character than needed. In other words, the tell-tell smoky note, and scent left on the empty glass, are barely evident here. Bourbon maturation too in the past has been described as perfect at 4-8 years. All here have had bourbon that has similar characteristics to this new CC rye, where you get a near-perfect melding of congeneric tastes and mellow tones from the barrel but no apparent charred wood notes. (Everyone recall: Very Old Barton, 6 years old, was called "very old", a long time ago, for a reason).

It is well-known that charred barrel aging has an "active" result another container will not, or rather will not as soon. I've had some very long-aged rye mashes that were excellent too but you need to wait all those extra years. And the result still does not quite have a straight character.

Collingwood 21 years old was a rye mash very long aged in reused wood (this is an assumption but I view it as a near certainty), and it came out very well. Something about the Canadian climate, despite any climate control of the warehouses, may contribute to relatively long aging periods not over-aging the product. E.g. at 7 years aging in Kentucky, a straight rye would have much more impact than the new CC. Other factors may be at play here, e.g. we don't know at what proof the distillate was entered at Alberta Distillers for aging.

Anyway, this one's a winner, one of the best of the new crop of rye flavouring whiskeys or whiskeys informed by that character.

Just for the record, I want to credit the late Michael Jackson, the famous beer and whisky writer, with being the first, as far as I know, to call for Canadian distilleries to release their flavouring whiskies uncut to the public. (After I joined this board in 2002, I asked for the same thing many times in posts here, because I had read in Michael's books the suggestion). Other whiskey writers made a similar request, but all after Michael's "The World Guide To Whisky" (late 1980's) as far as I know.

Gary

I think the HW 21yo rye in used barrels from Barton, despite being only a "barely rye" rye at 53% is another good example of a nicely aged whiskey using reused wood.

Hey Frodo, long time no talk. Did you try this? Would be interested in your take.

Not yet Gary. The penny pincher in me is waiting for the Summerhill Tasting Tower to get it so I can get a couple samples before I buy...

Not yet Gary. The penny pincher in me is waiting for the Summerhill Tasting Tower to get it so I can get a couple samples before I buy...

Understand fully. I am sure it will be on soon - you can ask too, sometimes they'll do it.

Gary

Maybe I need more time to warm up to this bottling. Tastes like a dead ringer of regular Alberta Premium to me. I prefer Dark Horse or CC 12 year old. At $27 you can hardly expect a high-quality sipper, so it's not a big deal. I just don't find it much to write home about, as my mum would say.

Night and day from Alberta Premium, but that's what subjectivity is for..

Maybe I need more time to warm up to this bottling. Tastes like a dead ringer of regular Alberta Premium to me. I prefer Dark Horse or CC 12 year old. At $27 you can hardly expect a high-quality sipper, so it's not a big deal. I just don't find it much to write home about, as my mum would say.

I did a H2H with Alberta Premium and found a huge difference. The CC is much mellower & the mouthfeel is far more luxurious. I do see where the pedigree is from the same distillery but the CC to me is a very nice sipper indeed. Will be replacing the AP in my cabinet with this one. The "virgin oak" casks have done their job and 7 years in these barrels seems like much more to me.

Plus, the CC is a straight whiskey (to all intends and purposes) and the other is not: that is what accounts for the difference not just in mouthfeel but in taste. The CC is distilled out at a similar proof to a U.S. straight rye (under 160 proof). The bulk of the Alberta Premium is a near-neutral but aged spirit whose provenance from rye is essentially neither here nor there.

Out for two weeks and already on sale, now $25.45 ($1.80 off)

Gotta love the Canadian Whisky industry ...:slappin:

I will say that this has started to grow on me. Maybe I was just expecting something closer to a straight whisky, whereas this is much more resembles a blended whisky. I notice more burnt sugar and toasted nut flavours now, which reminds me quite a bit of Forty Creek Copper Pot Reserve.

The penny pincher in me is waiting for the Summerhill Tasting Tower to get it so I can get a couple samples before I buy...

You can have my bottle Frodo. 23 of its 25 ounces will be sitting collecting dust on the Regrets shelf my whisky cabinet for the foreseeable future. You'll find it next to the Alberta Premium, Dark Horse, Collingwood, and various Forty Creek selections.

Yes, taste is subjective and all that. And I'm happy others are enjoying it. But it tastes like run-of-the-mill Canadian Whisky to me.

Spent a bit of time with this thanks to Gary Gillman. Won't blow anyone away but really good value for money.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.