Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?-Fall/Winter 2014

garbanzobean
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Will be curious to hear what you think. I bought one about a year ago but won't bias you with my impressions!

The nose is unexceptional. I get a hint of sherry.

On the palate, I can taste a bit of astringent oak, sweet vanilla. Nice body, rich mouth feel, slightly viscous, medium legs on the side of the glass.

The finish is strongly malty.

Reminds me a lot of Dalmore, especially with the malty finish. Less astringent and smoother than Dalmore 12.

Being that this was the very first pour out of the bottle, it might change with some oxidation. I also have to note that I jarred the bottle quite a bit to remove the wax seal.

So let's hear your impressions, Bruce!

Tried some new stuff at a local store event last week:

Bargain Pours: Craigellachie 13 and Ancnoc 12 at less than $40

Others Worth Mentioning: Aberlour 18 and Glenmorangie Signet (overpriced)

Best Pour of the Night: Nikka "Yoichi" 15

Tried some new stuff at a local store event last week:

Bargain Pours: Craigellachie 13 and Ancnoc 12 at less than $40

Others Worth Mentioning: Aberlour 18 and Glenmorangie Signet (overpriced)

Best Pour of the Night: Nikka "Yoichi" 15

Would love to get my hands on some of the Nikka offerings at higher proof. Nothing I have found is over about 90 proof except for the Nikka from the barrel which is only about 103 pf (good stuff though!). Unfortunately they can be tough to get at any proof.

The nose is unexceptional. I get a hint of sherry.

On the palate, I can taste a bit of astringent oak, sweet vanilla. Nice body, rich mouth feel, slightly viscous, medium legs on the side of the glass.

The finish is strongly malty.

Reminds me a lot of Dalmore, especially with the malty finish. Less astringent and smoother than Dalmore 12.

Being that this was the very first pour out of the bottle, it might change with some oxidation. I also have to note that I jarred the bottle quite a bit to remove the wax seal.

So let's hear your impressions, Bruce!

I was disappointed with it. Nice nose that failed to produce anything noteworthy on the palate. Thin and watery was my assessment.

Got some Craigellachie 13 for $35 and Kavalan Soloist Sherry Cask. Now the only Soloist I'm missing is the Fino Sherry and I don't think I'll spring for that one… a bit too pricey for me.

Got some Craigellachie 13 for $35 and Kavalan Soloist Sherry Cask. Now the only Soloist I'm missing is the Fino Sherry and I don't think I'll spring for that one… a bit too pricey for me.

Yeah, I have the rest too but just can't make myself justify that one either.

Yeah, I have the rest too but just can't make myself justify that one either.

Come on Bruce, I know you can do it!

Come on Bruce, I know you can do it!

Oh, there is no doubt I can! Just a question of whether I will. Seems unlikely but anything can happen...

And a great price you got on that Kavalan!

I grabbed the Vinho today, and was tempted to grab the Bourbon cask.

Came a cross a bottle of Glenmorangie Astar, essentially the barrel proof version of the single malt, which is now basically a dusty I suppose. Had not seen a bottle for probably a year or more so I decided to take it home with me.

I was able to pick up 2 bottles of Lagavulin 16 @ $50.99 each - thanks to my brother back home in Maryland.

Here in FL it runs $90-$99 so I'm quite excited [emoji106]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm eying a semi-dusty Ardmore 30 cask strength from 2009.  It's a LE of only about 1400 bottles and got some very nice reviews, for what that's worth.  Not sure as it's not cheap, but also priced well for being 30 years old (I think it's still at the 2009 msrp of about 10 bucks per year).  It's obviously not going anywhere, so I've got some more time to mull it over

7 hours ago, jvd99 said:

I'm eying a semi-dusty Ardmore 30 cask strength from 2009.  It's a LE of only about 1400 bottles and got some very nice reviews, for what that's worth.  Not sure as it's not cheap, but also priced well for being 30 years old (I think it's still at the 2009 msrp of about 10 bucks per year).  It's obviously not going anywhere, so I've got some more time to mull it over

That's supposed to be a nice pour. One of my locals has one in the glass case for $475, which is enough for me to resist it.

The one I'm looking at is significantly less than the one near you. 

13 hours ago, jvd99 said:

The one I'm looking at is significantly less than the one near you. 

That would be pretty tempting then.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.